Sign in to follow this  
leprechaunlive

Carenado Waco

16 minutes ago, Cloudpiercing said:

@Glenn Fitzpatrick. Would you be so kind and share your TrackIR profile please? 😄

I find your YT video of the Waco with TrackIR very good and I've not yet managed to set my TrackIR profile in a satisfactory way.

It is just the standard "Seth" profile that most people seem to use, though I often switch to "Precision" mode with it for any close cockpit stuff. Download it here ( Seth_Flight) .

https://forums.naturalpoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=7445

The other thing I do is attach the track clip (I use the old-school one) to the top of my headset not a cap.

I also turn off any extraneous lights and close curtains and have my screen so the centre of it is level with my head and the trackir on a stand so it sits just under the screen. Sort of roughly the height it would be if I had it on top of a simpit in front of the screen.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3

Thank you Glenn 😃.

I'll will definitely try that setting, and i'll find tour placement of the TrackIR under the sceen interesting and will try that as well.

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

Thanks SloMo. I've tweaked with the settings a lot, but yet to find a satisfying setting yet. And yes, i'll also find the mapping of pause and centering important as well. Had no place left to map in on the yoke or joystick, so I had to mapp it on my warthog Hotas instead.

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

Thanks to Glen from this side too:  I remember him, giving the advice to fix the clip on the headset some weeks ago.

Absolute gamechanger for me: Reaching the borders of the detected space is now very rare.  When positioned on the front of a cap, there are more moovements of the clip, and the distance to the TrackIR is less then on the headset: Double disadvantage !

My TrackIR is still on the upper edge of the screen, nearly on the same hight as the clip.

What i find very usefull with TrackIR: When on final, simply "drop down" your head some 10cm ( or app. 4 inches for you... 😉 ), recenter by a simple button-press, and voila:  Looking over the hood as having a neck-extension 🙂

As mentiones before:  The WACO has the best pilots-position for me until now: The whole Sx-Pack is very good visible nearly all the time !

@ I am hoping, that they DON´T change the behaviour of this little beaty too much: Having learned how to handle it, and i don´t want to have another tamed plane, which can be handled without care... 

@@ very nice, to have a cockpit without GPS, but with DME: This is all i need for VFR in unknown regions

Edited by SloMo

31 minutes ago, Cloudpiercing said:

Thank you Glenn 😃.

I'll will definitely try that setting, and i'll find tour placement of the TrackIR under the sceen interesting and will try that as well.

The tricky bit is getting a position for the sensor that does not loose track when you move your head around.  never had much success with the cap as the peak kept blocking at least one sensor. 

Below the screen works for me as my screen is at head height. However it needs to see the full set of reflectors otherwise above is better.

trackIr can be a right pain to setup right but once it is working it should be very very responsive.

One other thing I set the CPU affinity for the game in process lasso  to everything but core 0 and gave trackir core 0 .

Quick video of trackir in the Savage Carbon ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

One other thing I set the CPU affinity for the game in process lasso  to everything but core 0 and gave trackir core 0 .

Do you need to buy the full version to be able to do that Glenn?  Or will the free version do?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, bobcat999 said:

Do you need to buy the full version to be able to do that Glenn?  Or will the free version do?

free version is fine, it just nags you when you first start up

• Like 1

OK .. so trackIR in Process Lasso is set to use  Core 0 and 1 (game uses 2 to 5) with trackIR process priority "Real Time" and trackIR IO Priority  "High" and for some reason I also disabled thread priority boosting.

50 minutes ago, SloMo said:

As mentiones before:  The WACO has the best pilots-position for me until now: The whole Sx-Pack is very good visible nearly all the time !

@ I am hoping, that they DON´T change the behaviour of this little beaty too much: Having learned how to handle it, and i don´t want to have another tamed plane, which can be handled without care... 

@@ very nice, to have a cockpit without GPS, but with DME: This is all i need for VFR in unknown regions

I do like the WACO .

It is however underwhelming for aerobatics mainly because the roll rate is positively awful.

• Immelmans work fine
  • Loops are OK providing you have enough speed and height
  • Barrel Rolls are almost impossible unless in a vertical dive  😄
  • Split S is generally a fail as well due to the fact you cannot roll fast enough

still my current main go to plane for messing about

I KNEW I'd seen that paint before! Resurrected from FSX. Well done Jan. 👍

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

5 hours ago, Cloudpiercing said:

Thank you Glenn 😃.

Adding to Glenn's TrackIR advice - after moving to a 43" LG monitor, I found the higher angle (downward) setup gave me a lot of X-axis instability, but, having my PC in an 8-foot square room I have a wall directly behind my seat - so I stuck the IR unit on that wall right at head height, and reversed the clip (screwed) on top of the headset band. This will put the two pieces directly in line with each other and works perfectly. After the re- mount I needed to put a "tick" in the "Invert" box (above the two green curve arrows) to reverse a couple of the head view motions that will now be reversed - like the the Z-Axis. I also had to use a USB extender to reach the back of the PC. 

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

This would give me the uncomfortable feeling of beeing observed all the time....    😉

After hand flying Waco for a couple hours I think autopilot would be a great addition. But knowing Carenado reputation it will never happen 😞

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Seems to me that the lack of an AP might be one of the reasons they set the price lower.  It's a more basic aircraft.  I'd suspect if they wanted it to have more features, it would have a higher price.

On the topic of aerobatics, I read a couple real-world flight test articles on this aircraft and they indicated that it's on the heavy side and not super well suited for any aerobatics, so that sounds correct at least.

• Upvote 1

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals