Sign in to follow this  
leprechaunlive

Carenado Waco

2 hours ago, jpe828 said:

Totally agree with your thoughts, if they patch it I will be very happy. There are a lot of pretty unhappy people, so hopefully that will spur them on. 

That sort of thing has never especially bothered them before. So that'd be a first. 🤣

As to the thing itself, I'm okay with how it takes off and lands for the most part. For anyone struggling with it, you can try the 'take off auto-rudder' assistance option if you are having difficulty holding it on the runway for the take off roll, but personally I've not found that necessary, nor really felt it necessary to faff around with the loadout either; rather I just hold the stick back to glue the tailwheel to the runway for the initial acceleration, then when it has enough speed to get the tail up, I'm just at the ready to counter any swing, which is the way you should take off in something like this.

That's essentially the correct technique for a taildragger take off in many types, thus I personally don't think it is too bad in this respect because that is something which goes with the territory for taildraggers, so it's inclination to veer off the runway or ground-loop not so much a fault as a feature. What I'm inclined to be more critical of is its behaviour when airborne. It has a fairly lacklustre flight model, being lethargic on the controls and it is bereft of the pretty sprightly acceleration the real things is known for. So it flies okay, but it's not really got the wow factor of the real thing, which is vastly quicker than other biplanes of that size and power owing to its quite clean (for a biplane) aerodynamics and modernised control surfaces. At present it flies more like an early model Stearman with no fairings nor spats, and a lower-horsepower early model R-670 or R-680, than a faired-up up WACO with a 300 horsepower Jacobs engine and modernised aerodynamics.

What is also disappointing is the fact that it won't sideslip. This might be - and probably is - more to do with the flight modeling capabilities of MSFS than Carenado's efforts, but the end result is that you can get the thing sideways with the power off and it just keeps flying along regardless. Something with that much airframe and strut work to start generating drag, and a nine foot radius prop which starts acting like a big airbrake when throttled back, should start flying like a brick once it gets asymmetric and off the power.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I'm pretty sure I had the Carenado YM-5 in P3D. I'll go back & have a look at how it flies.

Anyone know if the MSFS version was a port over, or a clean build? I suspect the former.

& has anyone tried some .cfg tweaks to improve the flight performance?

T45

7 minutes ago, Treetops45 said:

I'm pretty sure I had the Carenado YM-5 in P3D. I'll go back & have a look at how it flies.

Anyone know if the MSFS version was a port over, or a clean build? I suspect the former.

& has anyone tried some .cfg tweaks to improve the flight performance?

T45

I read somewhere it is a port from an Alebo version.

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I read somewhere it is a port from an Alebo version.

I found in my P3D files, Alabeo YMF5 V4. Also some awesome repaints.

T45

Just took the P4D v4.5 version below for a short flight out of Valdez.

C of G  still shows in front of wing LE, but this one flies like a dream.

Easily controllable take off & not nose heavy in the air.

Whoever did the FDE got it right.

The MSFS version behaves on take off as if it has more brute power than the Alabeo, & the FDE feels 'off'.

T45

az-1.jpg

If you pitched up at the Waco factory with a fist full of dollars, would you realisticly expect to jump in it and fly away? I reckon you'd be offered a couple of flights in one, with an instructor, to get a feel for it. (Be careful Sir, she has a tendency to want to pull to the left; or right, depending on how she feels) 

We all do it in the sim 'cos it ain't gonna kill us

This reminds me of the endless of supply 'My P-51 pulls violently to the left on take off. Something is wrong with the FDE' threads over at A2A

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

28 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

If you pitched up at the Waco factory with a fist full of dollars, would you realisticly expect to jump in it and fly away? I reckon you'd be offered a couple of flights in one, with an instructor, to get a feel for it. (Be careful Sir, she has a tendency to want to pull to the left; or right, depending on how she feels) 

This reminds me of the endless of supply 'My P-51 pulls violently to the left on take off. Something is wrong with the FDE' threads over at A2A

True. Realistically, I suspect as you say, you'd possibly go for a few flights in a Model 75 Stearman, and probably a few in a Piper Cub prior to that, since there are plenty of these available, before getting straight out of your Cessna 172 and jumping in a YMF for real. Not least because with a price tag approaching half a million dollars for a brand new one built to order, it's not like you couldn't afford a few rides in those other birds to get you used to things.

This is of course why aeroplanes such as the Miles Magister, AT-6/SNJ, Stearman Model 75 and Tiger Moth were what they put new guys in before letting them loose on P-51s, B-17s and Spitfires etc. And if you couldn't fly one of those trainers well enough, you'd never even make it into the driving seat of those other birds in spite of the desperate need for pilots at the time. With a 300 horsepower lump spinning a nine foot diameter gyroscope up at the business end, you can't really expect the WACO to have the considerably gentler manners of a nosewheel-equipped Cessna 152.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I don't know why but with all bugs I still drawn to Waco! There is something about two wings and tail wheel 🙂

unknown.png?width=2153&height=1211

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

5 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Yeah, it is different in a sim, you sort of think you could fly anything ...

In real life it is different ... I recall the first time I saw a Sea Fury and just looked up at that 18 cylinder 3000 cubic inch 2500 HP radial towering over my head and thought there is no way I could fly this even off a runway and people take off and land this thing on an aircraft carrier  ?

• Upvote 2

Thanks to advice to hold in full back stick until I got past the 'vicious left hook', I managed a half decent departure & got a flight in.

I did find it is quite squirrely during the landing roll out. A gentler touch on the stick & brakes is needed.

A classic.

One of those aircraft that has charisma, & it could fly like a drunk long drop & people would still love it.😀

T45

a-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

And....It doesn't stall. Which is handy eh? 😀

EDIT:

Come to think of it, neither does the Focke-Wulf 149 or the Aermacchi 339. Could this be an MFS thing to prevent newcomers from frightening themselves?

Nice picture by the way. 🙂

Another EDIT:

I've just watched the MFS Update aeronautics video and it seems stalls and spins and a bunch of other stuff is upcoming. Sounds good.

Edited by Ron Attwood

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.