Sign in to follow this  
leprechaunlive

Carenado Waco

I can't brag any more about using ultra for all settings because I had to tone down the window reflections to 'high' in order to see out at night in the Waco. 🧐

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I thought the weird altimeter issues I was having were related to the Alt Air lever on the throttle/mixture quadrant (which I think changes the pitot air in some way?)  but the problem just suddenly went away so likely a false alarm. 

Nose up trim is definitely working for the landing and take-off issues.  Here is an example from Milford Sound with full Nose Up trim but no tail wheel lock or weight adjustments.

• Like 2

Strangely I have no problems taking off.

I keep the stick fully aft and does not even have to put much rudder in, other than for steering down the runway.

On the left side just aft and beneath the trim wheel, there is a lever for tailwheel locking, but there is no click point and no animation, so I guess the real world Waco has a tailwheel lock, but Carenado forgot to "activate it in regards to click spot and animation..

Edited by Wothan

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX4070 12GB, 1 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home, Meta Quest 3

Jeez the brakes are a bit wild, touched down, dabbed the brakes, and end up on my nose lol

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

25 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Jeez the brakes are a bit wild, touched down, dabbed the brakes, and end up on my nose lol

Thats because of the CoG being too far forward. All the weight is in the nose 😄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wothan said:

Strangely I have no problems taking off.

I keep the stick fully aft and does not even have to put much rudder in, other than for steering down the runway.

On the left side just aft and beneath the trim wheel, there is a lever for tailwheel locking, but there is no click point and no animation, so I guess the real world Waco has a tailwheel lock, but Carenado forgot to "activate it in regards to click spot and animation..

Stick full back will do it as you are keeping the tailwheel down.

The reason I prefer full nose up trim is I can get even more nose up if needed by pulling back on the stick, whereas if the stick is already fully back there is no where further to go.

I like this thing. 

Didn't like it in FSX. Didn't like it on X-Plane. But it's fun on MSFS. If Carenado can animate the tail-wheel lock and make sense of the rudder this could be pretty good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8ST2aLl.jpg

@lupedelupe I agree.... I CANNOT BELIEVE I NOW OWN 3 @Carenado products in MSFS- crazy.... but they EVENTUALLY do become delightful... we just have to keep prodding them to update so that they are correctly flyable. Still- I'm guessing their books are better than they have ever been.

C

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

47 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

8ST2aLl.jpg

@lupedelupe I agree.... I CANNOT BELIEVE I NOW OWN 3 @Carenado products in MSFS- crazy.... but they EVENTUALLY do become delightful... we just have to keep prodding them to update so that they are correctly flyable. Still- I'm guessing their books are better than they have ever been.

C

I´m in the same boat...

Comming from FSX and P3D, I never believed that I would buy products from Carenado.

But the lack of 3rd party aircraft addons for MSFS2020, combined with some positive feedback from happy buyers, made me give it a try.

For sure Carenado aircraft are not on the same level as the A2A aircraft, but for the price I still got nice looking models that perform what I feel would be realistic.

So now I own the Mooney, Seminol and Waco and is quite satisfied, though I look forward to see what A2A will add to MSFS2020.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX4070 12GB, 1 x 1TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home, Meta Quest 3

I think there are quite a lot of people in the 'I can't believe I actually own a bunch of Carenado products' category these days. Personally, I've bought all of their MSFS aeroplane releases Cessna 182T, Mooney M20, Piper Seminole and now this WACO YMF5, so that's four of the things I've got now, and I think that total is approaching surpassing all I've ever had from them for FSX and P3D. If it is not, then it must be getting pretty close.

But in spite of their less than stellar reputation for service and their occasionally flawed products in the past, I do have to give them credit for getting things done and reaping the rewards from having done so, and if they manage to drag their Beech D-18 into MSFS, I'd be pretty  happy about that, because that one is a cracking add-on aeroplane in P3D, and if it beats the forthcoming Boeing 247 into MSFS which I'm also looking forward to, then even better, because I can't get enough of those 1930s radial-engined twins. I was thinking the other day that it is ironic we have the Beech 18's replacement in MSFS - courtesy of Virtualcol's Beech 99 - but we don't have the 18. 

But on the subject of old bangers like the WACO (yeah I know technically the YMF5 is not actually as old a type as it looks, but it is based on an old banger) and the Beech 18, I'd also be very happy if Golden Age Simulations managed to start getting their output into MSFS, because they usually do a better job flight model wise with this sort of thing and they aren't afraid to have a stab at some unusual stuff either.

In regard to another classic of that era, I was pleased to note Aeroplane Heaven gave a bit of an update on getting their DC-3/C-47 into MSFS. They said that changes to the flight modeling in some patches have made their efforts a bit frustrating, but they are on the case with it, and we know they are busy getting their early Mark Spitfire variant ready for MSFS, so hopefully that's another one from the same ballpark era-wise we'll have in MSFS fairly soon. Just got to hope Aerosoft are doing things right with the SDK input they are on with for Asobo as part of their CRJ development process. If that goes okay, we'll probably see some of these things start appearing soon.

PS: Hey Carenado, why don't you make this version of it? then that'd be another one we'd all buy as well. 😉

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I loved the (Alabeo) Waco in FSX - so I did not hesitate to purchase the MSFS version - and I am absolutely happy with it.

The look and feel and the sound , brilliant - after some lovely hours at the Cote d Azure I am - as I allways was - a Carenado fan. They really know how to produce immersion.

It is a pleasure to fly and to land it - the takeoff is a little bit tricky due to the bug in the weight balance - thanks for the advices to make it a little bit heavier at the butt and to trim it in the right way - PLEASE CARENADO : ONE tiny UPDATE AND IT IS PERFECT!

• Like 4

OK so I tested with tail wheel lock or not. I concur there is not much difference as long as you keep stick all way aft!

It seems with tail wheel unlocked WACO accelerate little bit better, but not significant enough.

I tried to take off from L35 Big Bear and KSEZ and it quite challenges but surprisingly rewarding!

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

33 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

OK so I tested with tail wheel lock or not. I concur there is not much difference as long as you keep stick all way aft!

It seems with tail wheel unlocked WACO accelerate little bit better, but not significant enough.

I tried to take off from L35 Big Bear and KSEZ and it quite challenges but surprisingly rewarding!

I was in Big Bear this morning with an FSE pax load of tourists.....Was a little high in this shot but some generous cross-controlling and putting the plane sideways in the slipstream took care of that, hehe.  Some of the pax were thrilled, some...not so much. 🤣

Ju240l.jpg

See...it's all good when you're lined up perfectly in the end. 🙂

gZvTo3.jpg

Thought I saw one of the pax kiss the ground when she got on the flighline, but probably just happy to start her vacation! 😂

mPiUz6.jpg

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Tried to purchase the WACO just now but the Buy/Download buttons in MSFS Marketplace are "dimmed" & not responding.

Anyone else had this problem?

T45

• Upvote 1

Anyone know if a refund is available from the Market Place for this plane? Can't seem to find any info.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,