Sign in to follow this  
leprechaunlive

Carenado Waco

8 hours ago, stefaandk said:

The icing bug is still present as well, even turning icing to visual only doesn't stop it from having an impact.

I thought it did effect performance yesterday little bit. I will test again

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I have done a bit  bit more experimenting with take offs and landings.

Nose Up trim (which tilts the entire tail plane) definitely helps with both. With enough Nose Up dialled in you can go straight to full throttle and the step of adding baggage aft weight can be skipped without causing too much of an issue.

Also, you can get away with less than full trim, 50% Nose UP works well enough and makes transition to level flight easier, though I have found 80% to 90% seems pretty optimal for a good take-off roll.

The video below was about 90% Nose Up with default fuel and weight taking off from YSPT which is a level runway but rather narrow.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 2

It seems like  one way or another we good  load tail wheel on initial take off run which give reasonable stability!

This was a no- brainer purchase specially 'cuz of the lo price and although I'm deeply embroiled in a project for IL-2 I couldn't resist snatching it up and taking her for a quick spin from KMRY.  My most immediate pro/con impressions:

- Gorgeous aircraft!!!!

- Those good looks seem to be accompanied by an fps performance penalty 

- Flies quite "stately" apart from schizophrenic takeoff behavior

- "Stately" flight dynamics are not good for mild aerobatics - as stated above, this is no Citabria!

Which is a shame because there's nothing like an open cockpit bipe to turn you into a hooligan. Buzzing the golfers on the links at Monterey peninsula didn't go so well as my attempted aerobatic routine quickly ran out of energy and altitude.

Also, I could only hear my pilot's voice on the ATC comms. No ATIS or tower voices.  Maybe busted, maybe a remnant of having last flown the Piaggio with reduced ATC volume a couple weeks ago.

All in all, worth it for the price but not much more so far.

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

I am convinced the CG problem is what is causing the squirrelly behavior. Coming in for approach at 80 as recommended, as you flare for the three pointer you run out of elevator effectiveness very fast. Also, try and roll the airplane. It is clear that the CG is too far forward... she needs a TON of back pressure when upside down. 

Just bought it, have done a few take offs and landings at 1S2 Darrington. 

The Center of Gravity issue is quite interesting, there's no way to get the CG in the normal range with the aircraft load limitations, like 75 lbs in the aft baggage compartment. It's still too nose heavy. 
The tips and tricks for takeoffs seem to help, pull back the stick fully, tail wheel lock (shift-G by default) and slowly ease on the stick pressure and she will fly. However, she will ride the stall horn on climb out for a little while, likely because of the CG issues. 

Other than that, she stalls convincingly, but easy to get out of it. 

The engine sounds are 10/10, love that radial engine. Looks also 10/10. And she's fun to fly.

• Like 1

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

With great visual comes tons of bugs. I had high hopes after Carenado released Mooney. But  now my hopes are slowly fading away. Each consequent product is worse and worse. The fixes are slow and minimal..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

I had high hopes after Carenado

That was your first mistake. How long have you known Carenado? Did a leopard ever change his spots just because he moved territory?

The Waco? I bought it today, had a whizz round in it and it's well worth £12. More so than the £25-30 for P3D. So no complaints.

• Like 2

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

2 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

That was your first mistake. How long have you known Carenado? Did a leopard ever change his spots just because he moved territory?

The Waco? I bought it today, had a whizz round in it and it's well worth £12. More so than the £25-30 for P3D. So no complaints.

Yep Waco is good for static AI model LOL

Didn't think I'd like this bird but after watching the video from Kermit Weeks and flying out of ORLAMPA, I like it.  Kermit's airport is in Central Florida which is where I live so I will have to pay the airport, him, and his plane a visit and thank him for his video uploads.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Please Carenado, redo the C185F for MSFS. Talk about a perfect fit.

Avsim member since 2002. 1000+ posts on old account.

12 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

2. add 75 lbs rear baggage (see video)

Thanks, that helps a lot.

BTW, I tried increasing the pilot weight to 885 pounds (default is 185), and it gave 400 fps upward vertical speed (and exceeded the maximum total takeoff weight by 300 pounds).

So making the pilot weigh 250 pounds instead of 185 would also help a little bit (not that any of us are overweight, but just saying).

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

Yep Waco is good for static AI model LOL

It's the way you tell 'em. 😄

2 hours ago, Coneman said:

Please Carenado, redo the C185F for MSFS. Talk about a perfect fit.

It'll give people something else to get all superior about.