Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Been back in P3D lately?

I haven't even started P3D since MSFS came out!

While it will always be a passion of mine, these days flight sim for me is more of a thing that I dip in and out of rather than use solidly all of the time. The endless tweaking trying to get P3D to perform smoothly enough, and the myriad of add ons I had running concurrently that all needed updating separately meant that of the time I had dedicated to simming, less than half of it was actually flying time.

MSFS isn't perfect, we all know that. But for me at least, it does everything I want it to right out of the box. It updates itself frequently and pretty much automatically. The graphics are insane. It's far quicker to load than P3D with photo scenery. And for me at least it performs far better than P3D ever did, considering the graphical quality it's rendering. I can load it up whenever I fancy and fly wherever I fancy within a matter of a few minutes, by and large, it just works. And that's what I personally have been waiting for for years.

Edited by Tom Wright
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

8 hours ago, W2DR said:

Those who like to fly use P3D. Those that like to look use MSFS. Simple........

I love flying and only use MSFS. I mostly use the A320 and the Caravan.

4 hours ago, FlyingInACessna said:

From what I remember, P3D doesn’t update nav data for you and you need a provider like Navigraph. Navigraph has nav data for MSFS too, so not sure what you’re getting at.

And MSFS is also upding it's navdata every cycle now. Though there's so errors, like half the ILS approaches missing for some reason.

• Like 2

Been doing a Toliss flight the other day on XP. It was awesome. MSFS is still miles away from that level of detail in airliners. But when I saw those billboard trees popping up below me and generic houses in cities that look nothing like how it looks IRL, I knew again that it is 100% MSFS for VFR flying. 🙂

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Deleted P3D and all my addons went with it. I’ll miss my PMDG but I can do without it.

MSFS is it for me. Everything I wanted and more graphics wise. No more having to use your imagination when flying over boring bland scenery. 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Oh I accidentally lied earlier when I said I hadn't played P3D since the Alpha. I did try playing it for a bit during the Alpha, but I just couldn't stand it. MSFS was so much smoother and better looking.

• Like 3

For me it depends on the time what I have left for simming. If it's only one hour or less, than I fire up MSFS for some short VFR flights  mostly in a Cessna 172 in rural areas. If I have more time, then I enjoy flight planning, cockpit preparation (PMDG), ... at larger hubs with all this ai traffic, GSX2, etc... If I count together I'm more in P3D than in MSFS.

• Like 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

37 minutes ago, Azapata87 said:

No more having to use your imagination when flying over boring bland scenery. 

That's true.

You always had to think: Well, I guess I could pretend this looks like in real life. 😄

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

8 minutes ago, tweekz said:

That's true.

You always had to think: Well, I guess I could pretend this looks like in real life. 😄

No time to look whey you are looking at the dashboard pushing buttons 99% of the time.

I fly 90% P3D and 10% MSFS. MSFS graphics were amusing for a while, but i’m much more interested in high-fidelity aircraft simulation. P3D +PMDG/FSL/Maddog is still a much stronger platform for airliner simming.

• Upvote 4

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

2 hours ago, Tom Wright said:

While it will always be a passion of mine, these days flight sim for me is more of a thing that I dip in and out of rather than use solidly all of the time.

Yes! With family and work obligations I find MSFS suits me better too. Fun without much need to tweak!

I know for others tweaking is part of the fun, but with life going on outside of simming I am grateful for the respite.

• Like 2

I wonder how many people who used ORBx landclass scenery in P3D (and criticised photoscenery for being bland and unrealistic) now praise the photoscenery world of MSFS, and think that ORBx landclass scenery is bland and unrealistic.....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

42 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I wonder how many people who used ORBx landclass scenery in P3D (and criticised photoscenery for being bland and unrealistic) now praise the photoscenery world of MSFS, and think that ORBx landclass scenery is bland and unrealistic.....

I always thought landclass was bland in many areas, there were spotty places I thought it was really good (Jackson Hole, WY -and- some of Ireland and Scotland). One thing that helped a lot was adjusting my color to add a bit of green saturation to some of their scenery. True earth was really good, but MSFS has brought everything up to a NEW level even beyond True Earth.

Is it the trees, is it the water, or is it the ground textures?
It's all of the above...

That said, the western US mtns (other than the extreme West Coast or the central plains), isn't that great even in MSFS. There are issues abound in WY-ID-MT and a few in CO (though less so, CO probably the best of the bunch). MT is just a mess and so is much of Wyoming with all the green textures, luckily a lot of Northern Utah looks fairly good (though still not as clean as the east). A lot of Canada is pretty bad too, but Canada is such a large area I haven't flown that much of it yet.

There are still places that MSFS needs to improve on, the Appalachian area looks fantastic however and amazes me. I really enjoy San Diego in the western US, and some of Colorado, but a lot of other areas I prefer to fly in the east. It was opposite for me before, whereas I almost always preferred the Western US. Seattle of course also looks fairly good, though I think the trees need a bit of reformulation in some areas even in MSFS.

Edited by Alpine Scenery
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

There are still places that MSFS needs to improve on, the Appalachian area looks fantastic however and amazes me. I really enjoy San Diego in the western US, and some of Colorado, but a lot of other areas I prefer to fly in the east. It was opposite for me before, whereas I almost always preferred the Western US. Seattle of course also looks fairly good, though I think the trees need a bit of reformulation in some areas even in MSFS.

The good thing about MSFS is the “only  limitation” is data availability. The data can be huge and it won’t be an issue, because it will be storaged on the  cloud and streamed to the user on the fly.

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel