Sign in to follow this  
Tom_L

Terrain issues after 1.12.13.0 update

The reason they are somewhat going in circles is they are doing both server and client side adjustments, but you are right - the fix should be done purely in the elevation data on the server side. For whatever reason, they keep creating "conflicting" fixes, where the client corrects a server error.

• Upvote 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

2 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

For the US, their changes fixed 99% of the terrain issues from the Mississippi River and east, but now there are new glitches in the Western US like Colorado. If they leave it after the next update, I'll fix it, but I will probably be fixing some even before then (the simple ones). Colorado was hit fairly hard in some of the more remote areas as there are now multiple spires. 

So I'd assume the rest of the world is somewhat similar, their fix seems to have greatly reduced the # of issues in the worst areas, but it has also caused new areas to have issues that were clean before.

The issue is they are not telling us what their plans are for updating, so leaves us in the dark.

Checking a small area of SW Virginia, they fixed all of the spikes that you had already fixed in the Roanoke valley, but there are still several large ones that they missed just south of there (that you did fix). Haven't looked outside of there. They did fix the Roanoke River and Smith Mt Lake elevation problems which was pretty big.

Thanks for the info, if you see any other issues as you are flying, please report them in this thread:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, desbean said:

Checking a small area of SW Virginia, they fixed all of the spikes that you had already fixed in the Roanoke valley, but there are still several large ones that they missed just south of there (that you did fix). Haven't looked outside of there. They did fix the Roanoke River and Smith Mt Lake elevation problems which was pretty big.

They didn't fix them. They just moved them elsewhere. I'm seeing them around California in places that were fine until yesterday. I even have one in a spot I have cached.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

3 minutes ago, odourboy said:

They didn't fix them. They just moved them elsewhere. I'm seeing them around California in places that were fine until yesterday. I even have one in a spot I have cached.

Which parts of California?

I have seen several lake issues, but not any spires, you seeing spires?

55 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Which parts of California?

I have seen several lake issues, but not any spires, you seeing spires?

There's a picture of one linked to a post on the first page of this thread. It's around Redwood city or Mountain view in the West Bay area. There's one just south of Sacramento. I think i saw another north west of Sacramento (but I did not fly close enough to confirm). I've seen a couple of others but don't recall where they were.

• Like 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

There are about 7 or 8 spires about 25 miles south of San Jose (KSJC) near San Martin and Hollister airports.  The strange thing is they disappear as you fly close to them. 

39 minutes ago, jelder said:

There are about 7 or 8 spires about 25 miles south of San Jose (KSJC) near San Martin and Hollister airports.  The strange thing is they disappear as you fly close to them. 

Have the same problem in Norway. High spires and towers from mordor that disappears when flying closer.

Posting update for US shortly, fixed area south of San Jose (Holister CA), but the errors north of SFO were not correctable (it's an internal mesh error). Fixing Colorado then I'll post it. In this version, also I started fresh and the fixes are inclusive for Colorado, Cali, Omaha area, and Roanoke in this "new reset' version for the US elevation fixes. The most damaged area is Colorado, by far.

That said...

From what I've seen so far, these issues are nowhere near as common as before the patch, though there is a lot of crawling water up cliffs, that is the main issue leftover. I have scanned a couple thousand miles now (straight miles not in search patterns though), and the US is mostly clean.

What we are seeing is some residual error accidentally induced from their last correction, but it's VERY VERY spotty and difficult to find. I would estimate less than 1% of the overall # of errors exist in the US compared to before, not sure about the rest of the world. Even though there are new problem areas, they are few and very far between. The crawling water is an annoyance, but it's not nearly as "immersion killing" as the spires and "ghost water mtns".

Edited by Alpine Scenery

Just to make sure - have you updated all contents to the latest version on the content manager and restarted the simulator afterwards?

Due to the way MSFS VFS works, I wouldn't be surprised if an outdated package caused this issue.

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

Did you post in the wrong thread?

The mesh is not updated through the content manager, it is updated through the automatic stream and the required patches. This has nothing to do with the content manager or the virtual file system.

These issues have been here since the beginning (in varying forms after each patch), there are numerous mods fixing them, and each time Asobo changes the mesh... 

There is no "restart to fix", the US had about 10,000 errors prior to the last patch, now it's down to less than 1,000 (if you don't count climbing water on cliffs)...

Edited by Alpine Scenery

I have significant looming Mordor like towers around the Concrete/Darrington area in PNW.  Awful

U9Nvc5L.png

• Like 1

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.