Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

A2A Aerostar belly landed.

Good thing for that mid-wing, looks like the props may have come out ok.  Glad RSR and son are ok, too.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Crazy. Company I used to work for had a C337. One day while carrying the boss, the pilot did a wheels up landing. It is amazing what kind of torture an airframe can take. That said, just like Scott A2A mentioned, the engines had to be inspected because of prop strike.

• Like 1

RSR doesnt have a son.  this was Scott Gentile and his son Jake.

• Like 1

Peter Osborn

Looks like it was quite a smooth and fairly level touchdown, pretty much a textbook wheels up landing. Of course saving the airframe is the last thing on your mind when doing a wheels up landing, even for a nice old classic, but barring under the skin structural damage, that does look potentially repairable. Shame it wasn't a grass strip with a smattering of snow on it, that would probably have absorbed all of the damage and left it relatively unscathed, Anyway, congrats to both crew for A getting down safely and B possibly saving the aeroplane too.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

5 hours ago, Mace said:

Glad RSR and son are ok, too.

You’re thinking of PMDG, this was the guy and his son from A2A.

• Upvote 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Glad they are OK.

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - MSFS

Everyone walked away, so it's ok.

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

That's a real shame, glad everyone is ok. Was looking forward to the aircraft coming out in the sim, but I presume that will now be some time away.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

What a truly awful thing to happen on the last day of a thoroughly CRAPPY year! I'm just happy that Scott and Jake were not injured!

• Like 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Scott said he requested foam on the runway but tower said they don't do that anymore because of environmental concerns, even for an airliner with potentially hundreds on board. How far can they carry such politically correct silliness?

• Like 2

Vic green

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

even for an airliner with potentially hundreds on board. How far can they carry such politically correct silliness?

As far as the first litigation against the airport from the families of those involved in a  fireballing wreckage.. :dry:

Interestingly, a quick and dirty search revealed this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foam_path

Although how toxic the foams are compared to the pollutants released from burning aircraft wreckage I do not know...

• Like 2

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

2 hours ago, PATCO LCH said:

Scott said he requested foam on the runway but tower said they don't do that anymore because of environmental concerns, even for an airliner with potentially hundreds on board. How far can they carry such politically correct silliness?

Same with the anti-icing stuff used on runways, the older stuff was more effective, but it was more environmentally damaging - it was actually an extract from pig's urine called carbamide (carbonyl diamide) - so now they use synthetic stuff which isn't as effective.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Imagine - pig word not allowed being environmentally damaging and yet a pig is one of nature's fauna... :wacko: No wonder we hunt wild boar, destroying the rural landscape!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)