Sign in to follow this  
boez

v1.13.16.0 - screen tearing not a bug but a design change

So perhaps someone can clear this up for me...I have RTX 2080 Super on the new Vizio OLED tv with VRR. My HDMI cable is made for 120hz/4k or whatever the highest one you can buy is. 

I thought the 2080's only had HDMI 2.0 which means I will only ever be able to set the TV to 60hz?

Still getting stuttering with v sync off, tv set to 60hz, unlimited frames in nvidia control panel. On tv side VRR is on. 

Should I be able to force the TV to 120hz somehow, or am I limited with HDMI 2.0 and need the 3XXX series with 2.1? .... or should I get DP to HDMI cable?

gsync or freesync usually starts around high 40 fps or low 50,below those figures it will not work, and usually even with high fps you will have stutters from Cpu not keeping up.

now with 30 fps and Vsync in MSFS and Freesync  on it works like butter. My monitor is 144 HZ,but I think that the vsync is triggered by by the Freesync. still some stutters from CPU, but my settings are also onUltra.

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

19 minutes ago, pilotter said:

gsync or freesync usually starts around high 40 fps or low 50,below those figures it will not work, and usually even with high fps you will have stutters from Cpu not keeping up.

now with 30 fps and Vsync in MSFS and Freesync  on it works like butter. My monitor is 144 HZ,but I think that the vsync is triggered by by the Freesync. still some stutters from CPU, but my settings are also onUltra.

i think depends on which G-Sync technology each monitor use. G-Sync ultimate lowest area i think starts from 30fps ( at least on my Monitor). 

• Upvote 1

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

49 minutes ago, pilotter said:

G-sync hardware based monitors start at 30 fps, which is why they are ideal for flight Sims, and below 30fps they have LFC. 

The only way to avoid flickering is to use in game V-Sync for me, using NCP no longer works, but the fps limiter in the game does not work as it should, 30 fps limit in game gives me about 45 fps and if I set it to 20 I get just over 30 fps, but 45 fps seems to work well without stuttering, even when frames drop at busy airports, so that's an improvement.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

So just to confirm - with a Gsync monitor, Gsync enabled in NVCP and vsync off in NVCP / in-sim? or does vsync need to be enabled as well?

I had issues after the update with stuttering and brightness flickering on my freesync monitor. Tried playing with Nvidia vsync settings without any joy. Downgraded to an earlier Nvidia driver this evening and back to smooth frames and no backlight flickering. 

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

47 minutes ago, Donka said:

I had issues after the update with stuttering and brightness flickering on my freesync monitor. Tried playing with Nvidia vsync settings without any joy. Downgraded to an earlier Nvidia driver this evening and back to smooth frames and no backlight flickering. 

Excellent!  Which driver caused the problems, and which one did you roll back to?

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 hour ago, bobcat999 said:

Excellent!  Which driver caused the problems, and which one did you roll back to?

I was on the latest 461.40 but read in the following article about a change in rendering with 461.09 onwards so I went back to 460.89. 

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-v-sync-off-not-recommended-as-a-global-setting-starting.html

Older drivers:

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk

• Like 1

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

8 hours ago, jer2929 said:

Hey everyone. First time posting here, but I've lurked a long time. I've noticed for the first time after updating yesterday that my mouse feels quite laggy when flying around in the game. I have a gsync monitor and have gysnc on and vsync off in the in game menu. Interestingly, if I turn Gsync off in the nvidia CP, the mouse is back being very fluid in game. Also, if I alt tab and open another windowed screen on top of the game, the mouse is also smooth. I don't want to turn off Gsync, but the laggy mouse is quite annoying and its the first time its been like this. I'm assuming its something to do with the switch? Anyone shine any light? Or have similar experience?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-mouse-speed-windows-10

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Here's my observation.  First time using the update...whoa, that's screen tearing...hadn't ever seen that before in MSFS (though it's been my archenemy for years).  Until now, the only way my struggling gtx 1070 ran MSFS decently smooth was to have in-game (sorry if that term is offensive) vsync disabled, and use an external 30 fps limiter.  But now, YAY...at least for me, the using the in-game 30 fps vsync is smmoooooth, (that is, until I hit a region that pegs my 1070 to 100%), and that is without using the external limiter.  Nice to see a feature implemented as it should be, and working well at that.  BTW, using a single 60Hz 2k IPS monitor.  Ran my Burbank,CA to Santa Ana,CA torture test flight and the performance was a big step in the right direction, though the few big stutters around Dodger Stadium were still there.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

Working great here to, gone from 30FPS lock on 30Hz screen to 30 lock on 60Hz and it's one of the smoothest experiences I've had in a simulator.  Not since full screen FSX and half refresh rate has it been this good.  Nice to see a green FPS counter on the dev mode FPS display.  Of course it stutters if I can't make the frame rate, but that's to be expected.

• Like 1

Good morning everyone!

Although I find @boez detailed explanation really nice, it left me a bit confused.

At the moment I have vsync off inside MSFS and limit fps to 60 via Nvidia control panel. This does give me the 60 fps on my mid-range setup (1660 Ti and a few-years-old i5) in normal conditions and still flyable fps in demanding areas, like NYC.

If I got the gist of your discussion right, I don't need to change anything now, do I?

I will admit I had to google just now what screen tearing is, so obviously I didn't experience it until now. 😛

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Sailor

55 minutes ago, flying_w said:

Working great here to, gone from 30FPS lock on 30Hz screen to 30 lock on 60Hz and it's one of the smoothest experiences I've had in a simulator.

Same here!

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

5 minutes ago, Sailor512 said:

At the moment I have vsync off inside MSFS and limit fps to 60 via Nvidia control panel. This does give me the 60 fps on my mid-range setup (1660 Ti and a few-years-old i5) in normal conditions and still flyable fps in demanding areas, like NYC.

If I got the gist of your discussion right, I don't need to change anything now, do I?

I would try turning off the fps limiter in NCP and turning vsync on and selecting 30fps in game. 30fps smooth and stutter free is better than trying to get 60 and having stutters. You should not have any stutters then providing you use settings that would consistently give you over 30 fps without vsync enabled.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2