Sign in to follow this  
boez

v1.13.16.0 - screen tearing not a bug but a design change

1 hour ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

I just tried out the internal frame limiter again, and it finally seems to be working as intended. Turned all the settings and render resolution to the lowest, then locked the target to 20 FPS and now I'm actually getting constant 20 FPS instead of the stuttering 15-16 FPS before. And locking to 30 FPS gives me constant 30 FPS in the hangar.

That would be the first internal framerate limiter in any MS-based simulator to properly work as far as I can think back (30 yrs). But thanks for the headup, I'll certainly give it a try when I'll go flying later today.

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Eh... Oh dear... I got adaptive sync and elmb sync on at my Asus monitor. Should I put now vsync on as well? Sorry, I am not so technical dude... 🙄🖥️

Tapani Österberg

53 minutes ago, Sanctus said:

3090 Asus rog strix OC also here + 1440p Asus 144hz ( g-sync). Let me know if V-sync ( nvidia control panel or ingame)  needs to be set ot On or off. Some users recommended Fast V-sync to avoid flickering

checking now with  nvidia v-sync ( use the 3D application setting)  and A32NX feels smooth with or with out in-game v-sync 

Don't use either mate. I use G-sync for 2D flying and G2 headset for VR. 

Just noticed you have G-sync. If so, disable v-sync in game always! 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1

Well I spent some time on the new vsync fps thing.

OK before I start I was using RTSS FPS locked at 40 with -1 option. With TrackIR I need to run 40 FPS or the VC etc looks like motion blur is on things just dont refresh right.

All the above is now in the bin.

My monitor has 60 / 120 / 144 / 240 refresh rates.

I cannot run MSFS at 60 FPS and never drop below that. 80% of the time I can but....not 100%

So I loaded up the new version of the sim today tried the vsync (I have Gsync ON but does not work till over 80 fps...waste of time for MSFS)

With vsync ON in the sim and FPS locked at 30 monitor set to 60Hz it was a mess. INOP to be frank. I thought 30 FPS is the problem as it was with RTSS...

I changed my monitor to 120Hz and BANG! now it was a lot better, really good, then I tried 240hz and WOW 30 FPS smooth as silk with TrackIR running. It looks and feels like am running 60 FPS.

So all I can say is within MSFS I have vsync now ON FPS set to 30. Screen set to 240hz. So play with your set up as each will find diffrent combos work but on mine vsync ON FPS 30

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

9 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Well I spent some time on the new vsync fps thing.

OK before I start I was using RTSS FPS locked at 40 with -1 option. With TrackIR I need to run 40 FPS or the VC etc looks like motion blur is on things just dont refresh right.

All the above is now in the bin.

My monitor has 60 / 120 / 144 / 240 refresh rates.

I cannot run MSFS at 60 FPS and never drop below that. 80% of the time I can but....not 100%

So I loaded up the new version of the sim today tried the vsync (I have Gsync ON but does not work till over 80 fps...waste of time for MSFS)

With vsync ON in the sim and FPS locked at 30 monitor set to 60Hz it was a mess. INOP to be frank. I thought 30 FPS is the problem as it was with RTSS...

I changed my monitor to 120Hz and BANG! now it was a lot better, really good, then I tried 240hz and WOW 30 FPS smooth as silk with TrackIR running. It looks and feels like am running 60 FPS.

So all I can say is within MSFS I have vsync now ON FPS set to 30. Screen set to 240hz. So play with your set up as each will find diffrent combos work but on mine vsync ON FPS 30

Interesting , i am going to give a try with  in-game V-sync ON 30fps with 144hz or 165hz ( OC) . Still dont understand which is the connection between G-sync and this inbuild MSFS v-sync on 30 or 60 fps.... 

but as @Ianrivaldosmith mentioned best is to have v-sync OFF for G-sync users 

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

Max refresh on mine is 60Hz unfortunately.  I will have to experiment and find another way.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Just now, Sanctus said:

Interesting , i am going to give a try with  in-game V-sync ON 30fps with 144hz or 165hz ( OC) . Still dont understand which is the connection between G-sync and this inbuild MSFS v-sync on 30 or 60 fps.... 

but as @Ianrivaldosmith mentioned best is to have v-sync OFF for G-sync users 

Yes but Ian is talking about real G-sync screens, that can do there job down to really low FPS my "G-sync screen" only starts at 80 fps so G-sync is on but not working. There is a big diffrence from a screen thats G-sync compatable and a real G-sync screen.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

Max refresh on mine is 60Hz unfortunately.  I will have to experiment and find another way.

If you get the mess I did at 60Hz with MSFS V-sync ON 30fps, then I would not use it at all go with RTSS and -1 Bob. Let us know your finding.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Yes but Ian is talking about real G-sync screens, that can do there job down to really low FPS my "G-sync screen" only starts at 80 fps so G-sync is on but not working. There is a big diffrence from a screen thats G-sync compatable and a real G-sync screen.

Got it. 

this is my Monitor , which i guess is G-sync ( i mean not compatible) 

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-SWIFT-PG279Q/

Intel Core i9-13900K | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4090 GAMING OC 24GB | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | DDR5 64GB 6000-30 Trident Z5 RGB | Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix RGB | Corsair 7000D Airflow ASUS ROG Thor Platinum II 1200 Watt | Samsung SSD 990 Pro NVMe M.2 2TB & 1TB | Alienware AW3423DW | Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor | VKB-Sim Gladiator Mk.II | Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus Edition

3 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Newer G-sync compatable and Free-sync 2 monitors have LFC, (low framerate compensation) and make G-sync work under 48hz.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

3 minutes ago, Sanctus said:

Got it. 

Then do as Ian says, me thinks.🙂

3 minutes ago, Sanctus said:

Got it. 

That’s a full proper g-sync monitor. So disable v-sync In game. Make sure g-sync is enabled for full screen and windowed mode in your nvidia control panel. Then try. Should be super smooth 

3 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Newer G-sync compatable and Free-sync 2 monitors have LFC, (low framerate compensation) and make G-sync work under 48hz.

Probberly but even my "new" G7 does not as Ian and I looked into it. Having a G-sync lable is not the same but I did know that before I bought it. Its still a wonderfully screen.

Edited by Nyxx

2 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

That’s a full proper g-sync monitor. So disable v-sync In game. Make sure g-sync is enabled for full screen and windowed mode in your nvidia control panel. Then try. Should be super smooth 

Yes, checking now A32NX ( with new cockpit textures)  moves like a butter ( scrolling/zooming) all around the cockpit with v-sync off.

But its also smooth with V-sync ON /60fps..... 

• Like 1

after many tests with all possible variations i saw that the best smooth butter immersion comes when i divide the default refresh rate number of my monitor.

so the hot spot numbers are 144/2= 72 and 144/3 =48.

final conclusion ( at least for now) : 48cap on RTSS with g-sync ON and v-sync ( in-game) OFF had the best results.

• Like 1