Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Wind sock blowing one way, ATC clearance opposite

It's not just an atc issue either...it's also an ATIS issue where it reports the incorrect active runway at my airport nearly all the time. As an example...all day yesterday the winds were out of the south (approx. from 205 degrees at 15kts) with only few clouds yet while the ATIS reported those winds correctly, it calls the wrong runway as being active. It was calling runway 14 (when runway 19 was best aligned) for most of the day and switched later on to rwy 32. It never used the correct rwy at all.

But this has been a "thing" since I cant remember how long now (decades)...and the only way around it was to use a combo of FSUIPC, 3rd party solutions for weather, atis and atc.

Just another of many reasons why I walked away 6 months ago when I saw how much was still wrong with the game after so many decades and years in development and us asking them to fix it for the same amount of time. But they said they'd stay around fixing things for 10 years so I put this all aside for 6 months and thought I'd come back this week to check up on all of you :-)...and what I'm finding is alot of wonderment about what exactly they've been working on since I left last September? 🤢

Edited by hangar

This is an issue that I think they should fix along with the GNS530 problems.

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

2 hours ago, NightOfDreams said:

I departed PHL the other day. ATIS says winds are 268, and landing/departing Runways 8, 9L and 9R. So I just started ignoring the ATC again as usual. 

I had this too, wind gusts were around 40 knots too 😆

• Like 1

Lol - yup into LXGB this morning with a 30kt tailwind .. ..

Bring back RADAR CONTACT !!

G

• Like 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

I use two programs when I fly with MSFS and before that P3D. PF3 for my ATC and Avliasoft EFB. In EFB when I click on the arrival tab on route to the landing airport, it shows me the weather at the arrival airport, wind direction and speed , Vis, cloud layer and ceiling etc. From there I can select the runway and approach that I want for that runway. PF3 checks the wind and the runway that AI is using, and usually agrees with the wind at the arrival airport. I can set PF3 to recheck the wind and arrival runway multiple times if I want in the case of a wind shift during approach, which happens in real life too. Then when on approach PF3 gives me the landing runway. Once in awhile it will give me a runway change, if the wind at the arrival favors a different runway than the original assignment. Most times I am landing with the best runway for the wind. If I want a different runway, due to low Vis for instance, and there is an runway with an ILS, I can ask PF3 for runway change which is usually granted. 

So far, I haven't landed with any tailwinds, and usually not with a crosswind that would have favored using a different runway. Not sure if PF3 is doing a better job then the default ATC in reading the weather, but I haven't run into many unusual problems. I did, however, when I used the Default ATC, prior to getting PF3 up and running. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

On 2/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, Dillon said:

Anyone notice ATC routinely clears takeoff/landing the opposite of the way the field wind socks are blowing?  Disclaimer: this is not new to FS2020.

Almost all the time.  They are doing drugs in the tower, I think.  If it's a strong wind, I ignore them and go to the proper runway.  When I report I'm ready at another runway, they clear me to take off anyway.  Like I said, I think they are doing drugs in the tower.

LouP

Also, I don't recall this being an issue in previous sims with Active sky running so I don't know if they are getting the incorrect winds from the sim weather or if ATC is just having a good old time in the tower.  As they said in the movie Airplane, "They are on instruments"  lol

LouP

9 minutes ago, LouP said:

Also, I don't recall this being an issue in previous sims with Active sky running so I don't know if they are getting the incorrect winds from the sim weather or if ATC is just having a good old time in the tower.

Activesky syncs to METARs if I remember right. MSFS syncs to Meteoblue, which is inferior. So it's not uncommon for the sim to inject the wrong weather because it's using a bad weather service.

And then there's the schizophrenic windsock issue. There's a screenshot floating around here somewhere that shows 2 windsocks next to each other, pointing in opposite directions. 

I've also noticed that ATC will commonly have AI planes land into the wind, but will clear me to land the opposite direction on the same runway. 

I suspect there are more than one problems contributing to this annoyance.

Edited by eslader
  • Upvote 1