Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Wind sock blowing one way, ATC clearance opposite

Anyone notice ATC routinely clears takeoff/landing the opposite of the way the field wind socks are blowing?  Disclaimer: this is not new to FS2020.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

For sure. 3rd party airports blow the opposite direction of the wind too. The ATIS is a mess in the sim, generally not correct. I don't use ATC so can't comment on that. 

6 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

For sure. 3rd party airports blow the opposite direction of the wind too. The ATIS is a mess in the sim, generally not correct. I don't use ATC so can't comment on that. 

I've seen this with default as well as add-on airports.  Again this is not new to FS2020 as this goes back a few versions of Flight Simulator.  After seeing it again today just thought I'd ask what others are seeing.  As FS2020 is still in development we might finally get this addressed once and for all.  It looks to be a legacy issue going back to when the core code was first produce circa FS2k2 (2002).

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, jpe828 said:

Yup .... ATC is a total mess and immersion killer. I just ignore the [expletive] thing.

Edited by Adamski_NZ
  • Like 3

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

6 hours ago, Dillon said:

Anyone notice ATC routinely clears takeoff/landing the opposite of the way the field wind socks are blowing?  Disclaimer: this is not new to FS2020.

Happens all the time and it just happened to me landing at MROC. ATIS had the wind direction opposite of actual, and ATC was insisting I land with a 9-knot tailwind. Cancelled landing intentions in order to avoid the scolding, and landed where I wanted.

• Upvote 1

Yes I have noticed it. It happens nearly in 97% of my flights

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Doesn't the windsock point the wrong direction?  I thought I noticed this a while back.  Essentially it should "point" (narrow end) to the runway most aligned with the wind.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

One thing i noticed on the planner with live weather.   It will read winds and show takeoff rwy opposite rwy of the winds on dep & arrival.... I go ahead and chose flight plan high alt or low alt route allow it to plan etc.  Then when i hit reset to wipe the plan and restart it again it does it right. Dunno but this works for me.

Good Luck & Happy Landings,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

Doesn't the windsock point the wrong direction?  I thought I noticed this a while back.  Essentially it should "point" (narrow end) to the runway most aligned with the wind.

I have been holding short near two windsocks (in game) and have had the one to the left of runway point one way and the one to the right of the runway point in a totally different direction ... go figure.

• Like 3

I can’t believe this isn’t a priority fix. It’s one of the most fundamental laws of aviation.... Take off, and land into wind. Ive lost count of the amount of times I’ve carefully chosen my runway based on the reported conditions, only to find that it’s not even close to being appropriate. At least half of my flights have me tootling around the airport in my plane, looking for a windsock, and then aligning myself accordingly. It’s crazy.

• Like 1

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

43 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

I can’t believe this isn’t a priority fix. It’s one of the most fundamental laws of aviation.... Take off, and land into wind. Ive lost count of the amount of times I’ve carefully chosen my runway based on the reported conditions, only to find that it’s not even close to being appropriate. At least half of my flights have me tootling around the airport in my plane, looking for a windsock, and then aligning myself accordingly. It’s crazy.

Since the windsocks show the wrong direction half of the time I wouldn't do that. 🙂

I usually chose a plane with a display showing the actual wind. If not possible (because I want to use the Savage Carbon or the Spitfire) I use this wonderful VFR map plugin from flightsim.to that shows the wind direction and speed.

ATC needs to be updated with the option to choose the runway you want to use for landing or takeoff if they cant program it to land and take off into wind.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Those who were on the forum from the beginning may remember that Asobo was not hot about having the ATC at release (like the seasons). But the uproar drove them to bring the old ATC with a  few cosmetic touchups ... 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I departed PHL the other day. ATIS says winds are 268, and landing/departing Runways 8, 9L and 9R. So I just started ignoring the ATC again as usual. 

Edited by NightOfDreams