Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Mesh : Hey Microsoft how long the charade will go on ?

Last World Update release notes Several terrain spikes have been fixed, including incorrect cases of water elevation issues.

Yeah, right ! Several 🤣. Like in 2 or 3 ? The world is  still covered with artifacts, spikes and the like. we find them everywhere.  My last "finds" in the upper Amazon , PNG and Borneo...  

Why is so that a Mom & Pop businesses like Pilot's or Toposim have been able to cover the world with good and clean meshes and that you, Microsoft, can't ? Instead of cranking out new regions, can't you do the job and erase these warts first ?  And if you can't do the job, isn't it the time to open the sim (SDK) to mesh addons ?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Give them time they did say they would be 10 years fixing it (sorry supporting it).

• Like 6

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Scenery inspector simulator where we worry more about scenery than actually flying the aircraft (which is mostly under par)  at the moment in it.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 1

and me having great fun bushflying africa.

not seen any spikes sofar.

better focus on what works, there are gorgeous looking places.

• Like 9

That's the reason, why the other sims will continue to have customers. It will take years to complete the missing pieces of MSFS and by then, new technology may have pushed the others forward as well. When there are "thank you Asobo" posts I often see that the author is rather new to simming. So to each his own, I come to MSFS daily but mostly shut it down saying to myself that it is just not ready. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Hans

14 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

When there are "thank you Asobo" posts I often see that the author is rather new to simming. So to each his own, I come to MSFS daily but mostly shut it down saying to myself that it is just not ready. 

Simming since '95 and while those spikes are a little annoying they will never spoil my experience in a way that makes me fire up an old sim for scenery reasons. You gotta put that into perspective.

Yeah, you get a few spikes and anomalies here and there. But overall I prefer the authentic look of cities and landscapes compared to randomly placed Lego houses and billboard trees on top of flat ortho wallpapers or even worse - autogen textures.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 20

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

As I said, to each his own. Fidelity of scenery is great with MSFS. For me that is just not enough. Today the settings were lost again. Everyday there is a new annoyance. And so, sometimes but not rarely, I go back to an old sim which is nicely tuned and does exactly what I expect. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Hans

Yeah, I agree with the OP, but right now MSFS is a WIP. There are other sim options, but not for me. MSFS fits my flightsim desires perfectly.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

5 hours ago, Dominique_K said:

Last World Update release notes Several terrain spikes have been fixed, including incorrect cases of water elevation issues.

Yeah, right ! Several 🤣. Like in 2 or 3 ? The world is  still covered with artifacts, spikes and the like. we find them everywhere.  My last "finds" in the upper Amazon , PNG and Borneo...  

Why is so that a Mom & Pop businesses like Pilot's or Toposim have been able to cover the world with good and clean meshes and that you, Microsoft, can't ? Instead of cranking out new regions, can't you do the job and erase these warts first ?  And if you can't do the job, isn't it the time to open the sim (SDK) to mesh addons ?

Tiñe to relax a little bit. This is a hobby. This is not perfect, and maybe will never be, but this the closest thing to reality we have never seen before.

We should calm a bit, I’m not saying you’re not right. I’m bothered also by the continuing bugs that appear and appear after every update with no reason like the recent flaps bug or lift issue.

Just fly and try to enjoy what works.

Cheers, Ed

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

25 minutes ago, hjsmuc said:

As I said, to each his own. Fidelity of scenery is great with MSFS. For me that is just not enough. Today the settings were lost again. Everyday there is a new annoyance. And so, sometimes but not rarely, I go back to an old sim which is nicely tuned and does exactly what I expect. 

My guess is like me  you also have a bunch of Terrain, Mesh, Landclass, and other 3rd party add-ons to get it to look good and do what you want.  I know I had to add a ton to get coastlines, rivers, mesh, landclass etc...  In fact it cost me hundreds of $$$$  just to make it look decent.   Out of the box even with it's spikes MSFS is light years ahead of any other "out of the box" sim...  Is it perfect, no but my goodness they are modelling the entire globe like we have never seen quite frankly even with all those add-ons from prior sims.  I happened to pass New Caledonia on an SFO-YSSY flight yesterday.  In one sim it was a flat island with a bunch of houses everywhere.  In the other it was accurate.  

So while we continue to compare/criticize (sometimes quite validly) we also need to keep it in perspective...  Sure, we can eliminate all the terrain spikes, bring us back to a basically flat undetailed world and rely on people to pay for mesh and landclass by 3rd parties limited to certain parts of the globe where add-on developers have provided  coverage and the problem is solved 🙂

I wish I could help you with settings not being saved but I am one of the "lucky" ones where I haven't had a single issue or CTD or Sim-Stopping issue since release... Not perfect but always been usable for me without a single tweak or modification.  Just installed set it up and flew. 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

5 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Give them time they did say they would be 10 years fixing it (sorry supporting it).

Like I said, they could have followed prior sims models and just released with garbage mesh without any detail, inaccurate coastlines/bodies of water and generic landclass and just forced us all to pay to get that functionality in the limited areas 3rd party developers step up to do the work then equally charge us for it "or" the alternative which Asobo is providing and it's not perfect but light years ahead of what we've had in the past...   

So sure we could all be staring at a vanilla world and waiting for 3rd party add-ons to make it look even somewhat life like or we could have some terrain and water spike anomalies which by the way even the best add-ons still suffer from in some cases...  

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

They have a road map, so stop complaining.
Mesh correction is planned later in the year or for early 2022.

• Like 1

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

If you're going to write a 'Hey Microsoft how long the charade will go on ?' question, shouldn't you be sending it to Microsoft?

• Like 11
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

27 minutes ago, psolk said:

I wish I could help you with settings not being saved

That's an acknowledged new bug which came up during the night as it seems. Has a thread of its own. Good to see that you are a happy camper. I am not, and I started as an Alpha tester, MSFS was better in Alpha 3 than it is now, but that's just my personal opinion. 

• Like 1

Hans