Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

P3D v5 - how is VRAM handling now?

Recommended Posts

Ray since updating trueglass, I have not had a single crash. you should be fine going to V5.

  • Upvote 1

Flight Simulator - P3D V4.5/V5.1/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

Share this post


Link to post

@Afterburner, did you read Andrew’s post on that link I provided? He said they’re optimising PBR for v5 and given there is a good boost in performance over v4 it makes sense to go for v5. Had Andrew said both would be the same I would stay with v4.

It’s just a case of when to make the switch. There could be further point updates but those generally only affect the core product and are easy to implement. Everyone who has v5 says there are performance benefits and I could certainly do with that at complex airports.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.1 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, kevinfirth said:

Well, I don't fly into EGLL either, I prefer to avoid London, in the sim as in RL!  True, zero AA is a compromise, there's no avoiding it's less pretty, but mostly it's a compromise I'm mostly comfortable to make at the present while it gives me fluid 50.  If I'm not though it's easy to drop to 30 vsynced and ramp up AA.  With a more capable GPU I could have both, but....

I've come up with a new approach for myself that makes P3D v4.5 perform probably at the same level it can in v5.2 by some chicanery of sorts:  I only fly in the wee to nighttime hours now.   This stemmed from using MSFS which has spoiled me for immersive scenery and atmosphere, so I just use P3D now for where it excels, in cockpit management simulation.  This means I can disable Orbx regionals, reduce scenery sliders to mostly hard left except use 4xSSAA, but still fly in and out of busy areas w/ nice addon airports, and achieve ample performance, by my standards in which vsync to 30Hz is fine.  Dawn/dusk and nighttime at nice addon airports is visually nice.  I really don't appreciate any improvement even at vsync to 60Hz in the easy Majestic Q400.  When I change them back and forth I swear 30Hz is even better and it's counterintuitive I fully appreciate.

Could you maintain 30fps set to vsync to 30hz and fly the NGXu into Heathrow, in Orbx England, with sliders mostly to the right?  If so, that would be a significant improvement.  For $199, again, it would need to be really substantial.  Plus, I only have 8Gb of VRAM.


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
52 minutes ago, Noel said:

Could you maintain 30fps set to vsync to 30hz and fly the NGXu into Heathrow, in Orbx England, with sliders mostly to the right?

I've honestly never tried, but perhaps I'll give it a go 😁

  • Upvote 1

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX2080Ti

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Noel said:

Could you maintain 30fps set to vsync to 30hz and fly the NGXu into Heathrow, in Orbx England, with sliders mostly to the right?  If so, that would be a significant improvement.  For $199, again, it would need to be really substantial.  Plus, I only have 8Gb of VRAM.

I do not need to fly at 30fps in 4.5. I have just completed a flight into EGLL landing at 6pm local, with Orbx TE,PMDG QOTS II, approach at around 20fps, landing at 12-18fps. Sliders slightly to the right of middle.

No, it does not seem like a slide show, reasonably fluid in fact.

If v5 can improve that, then maybe it is worth spending the $??? (mention not allowed).


Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as P3D home. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post

Ian, that sounds just horrid to me.  I have absolutely liquid smooth everything in the NGXu and 777 anywhere I fly, but the cost is I have to downgrade all visuals except 3rd party airports, and fly only from dusk to dawn where scenery doesn't matter.  I really love perfect smoothness at 30fps and for me even the better scenery (TE excluded) just is such a fake world compared to what I've become used to in MSFS, it's just liberating to not have to try to make P3D compete visually,. because it can't, except at night, though some would argue that point.

If I could max out scenery and maintain solid, and I mean solid, 30FPS vsync'd everywhere, with nearly maximum scenery detail, I might consider v5, the cost and hassle to set it up.  Seems like it's not going to be quite there though, esp with my 8Gb GPU.  I'll relook at it if n when MSFS doesn't mature to accommodate PMDG, GSX & FSCaptain.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

If v5 can improve that, then maybe it is worth spending the $??? (mention not allowed).

When you consider that buying a 3090 card for 1500GBP will double your frame rates spending around 50GBP to increase them by around 15-20% seems like an absolute bargain.

  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.1 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

When you consider that buying a 3090 card for 1500GBP will double your frame rates spending around 50GBP to increase them by around 15-20% seems like an absolute bargain.

That is the way I am tending to think. I am only worried about what "effort" will be needed to re-install Orbx,UK2000, and all the other airports I have bought over the past couple of years and I know that FSUIPC must be paid for again, so RC4 can run.


Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as P3D home. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Noel said:

Ian, that sounds just horrid to me.  I have absolutely liquid smooth everything in the NGXu and 777 anywhere I fly, but the cost is I have to downgrade all visuals except 3rd party airports, and fly only from dusk to dawn where scenery doesn't matter.  I really love perfect smoothness at 30fps and for me even the better scenery (TE excluded) just is such a fake world compared to what I've become used to in MSFS, it's just liberating to not have to try to make P3D compete visually,. because it can't, except at night, though some would argue that point.

If I could max out scenery and maintain solid, and I mean solid, 30FPS vsync'd everywhere, with nearly maximum scenery detail, I might consider v5, the cost and hassle to set it up.  Seems like it's not going to be quite there though, esp with my 8Gb GPU.  I'll relook at it if n when MSFS doesn't mature to accommodate PMDG, GSX & FSCaptain.

Noel,

I have no wish to fly at night, night flying for me is for Inter-continental 12-15 hours flights while I am asleep in bed.😀. As I have not seen MSFS in real life, and probably never will, I like to look at the TE scenery, when possible through clouds. The visuals are everything (apart from the plane, obviously). Vsync does nothing on my system and 30fps everywhere is a pipe dream. If I can get 20fps landing at EGLL or EHAM and perhaps 25 at EGCC and similar, then I am more than happy. 

V5 is becoming more of a possible upgrade route as +-20% extra fps could be quite a bonus.


Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as P3D home. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

That is the way I am tending to think. I am only worried about what "effort" will be needed to re-install Orbx,UK2000, and all the other airports I have bought over the past couple of years and I know that FSUIPC must be paid for again, so RC4 can run.

Ian,

Even if you add the cost of FSUIPC7 that is the only software required for v5.1. I suspect L-M released a new version purely for DX12 as the more efficient graphics processing gives the sim a nice boost. v4 had 6 updates and has served us well. It was released in May 2017 with v5 arriving in April 2020 so that's a longer life cycle than Microsoft gave us with their versions.

And there are probably a few fixes for the long-standing bugs. My favourites were stars appearing with the sun still above the horizon and the Prime Meridian bug where taking off from Rwy 28 at EGLC would induce a major stutter for a couple of seconds as multiple BGLs were read as you crossed from the eastern hemisphere to the western.


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.1 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Noel,

I have no wish to fly at night, night flying for me is for Inter-continental 12-15 hours flights while I am asleep in bed.😀. As I have not seen MSFS in real life, and probably never will, I like to look at the TE scenery, when possible through clouds. The visuals are everything (apart from the plane, obviously). Vsync does nothing on my system and 30fps everywhere is a pipe dream. If I can get 20fps landing at EGLL or EHAM and perhaps 25 at EGCC and similar, then I am more than happy. 

V5 is becoming more of a possible upgrade route as +-20% extra fps could be quite a bonus.

Well, it's not 12-15h flights it's 1-3h flights because I leave either pre-dusk or pre-dawn, but that's besides the point I wasn't bringing this perspective up to try to convince you to follow suit, I just am blown away anyone would put up with the type of frame right you're more than happy with, is considering $199 to bump that up by 20% if that, and yet plans to forego worldwide TE for $119 or less, w/ stellar performance to boot.   


Noel

System:  9900K@5.0Ghz@1.21v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVme 2Tb x 2, RTX 2070 Super FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, Dell curved 3440x1440, Saitek Yoke, TQ & Cessna Trim Wheel, UNLIMITED frames vSync to 30Hz in P3D 4.5 & MSFS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Noel said:

Well, it's not 12-15h flights it's 1-3h flights because I leave either pre-dusk or pre-dawn, but that's besides the point I wasn't bringing this perspective up to try to convince you to follow suit, I just am blown away anyone would put up with the type of frame right you're more than happy with, is considering $199 to bump that up by 20% if that, and yet plans to forego worldwide TE for $119 or less, w/ stellar performance to boot.   

...who pays $199 for P3D? lmao

  • Upvote 1

-Alex 

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

...who pays $199 for P3D? lmao

We’re entering the forbidden zone with that question. 🤫


Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.1 & v3.4, Intel i7-8086K o/c to 4.6Ghz, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, Asus Prime Z370-A mobo, 32Gb G.Skill DDR4 3000Mhz RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Noel said:

Well, it's not 12-15h flights it's 1-3h flights because I leave either pre-dusk or pre-dawn, but that's besides the point I wasn't bringing this perspective up to try to convince you to follow suit, I just am blown away anyone would put up with the type of frame right you're more than happy with, is considering $199 to bump that up by 20% if that, and yet plans to forego worldwide TE for $119 or less, w/ stellar performance to boot.   

It's not just that. It's about the continuous downloading of scenery needed and the bandwidth and the fact that there are no PMDG type planes yet. I deliberately did NOT mention price. See Ray's warning.

  • Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as P3D home. GTX 1080 8gb.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

I am only worried about what "effort" will be needed to re-install Orbx,

If you have the hard drive space you do not need to re-install Orbx again for v5, Just create a new library in Orbx Central, Copy over all your v4 scenery into it then verify all the files.. Done.

  • Like 1

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

tpewpb-6.png

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    45%
    $11,435.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...