Sign in to follow this  
Nigge

Had enough of live weather, any options?

Hi! Since Aerosoft finally has made msfs fun to fly again I have started once again reacting over how incredibly bad the live weather is, not even close to the real metar. Have anybody got any suggestions how you use this to make it as realistic as possible? 

• Upvote 1

Niklas Eriksson

You can go back to Xplane and taste their beautiful real weather. 

• Like 4

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

They have given out the rods to be beaten with, calling ‘live weather’ what is, if I understand it well, actually predicted weather.

That being said the weather engine is rather good even if it needs some tweakings (thunder ⛈️ !).

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

32 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

They have given out the rods to be beaten with, calling ‘live weather’ what is, if I understand it well, actually predicted weather.

That being said the weather engine is rather good even if it needs some tweakings (thunder ⛈️ !).

I am flying in the New York area now, and what I see looks pretty much like the Metar that is current for that area. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Claudius_ said:

You can go back to Xplane and taste their beautiful real weather. 

Or FSX/FSX SE/P3D with Active Sky and REX textures.  None of the elements in MSFS come close.  And please do not even mention ATIS/AWOS.  Check my message footer....

image.png.de38106641aec8a03fb3f88c1896676c.png

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Free Unreal weather or payware REX weather force but don't expect the weather transition to be smooth like default though.

Edited by jbdbow1970

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

Or FSX/FSX SE/P3D with Active Sky and REX textures.  None of the elements in MSFS come close.  And please do not even mention ATIS/AWOS.  Check my message footer....

image.png.de38106641aec8a03fb3f88c1896676c.png

That pic isn't supposed to look good is it?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I am flying in the New York area now, and what I see looks pretty much like the Metar that is current for that area. 

It's been every bit as comparable as ActiveSky has been for me.   I'd mainly like the cloud rendering to offer some more high definition edges where appropriate and better, more interesting upper atmosphere cirrus type clouds.  But overall, seriously, it is so much better than what I have in ASN4.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

23 minutes ago, sluflyer06 said:

In my opinion he can keep his sprites, maybe he doesn't know the difference with real volumetric clouds at a real 600km range.

• Like 1

Missing the PMDG DC6 in MSFS 2020 (she's here, but...).

25 minutes ago, sluflyer06 said:

Might have baited you.  Is that a pick from the real sky?  or from a simulator?  Watch out....

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

8 hours ago, Nigge said:

how incredibly bad the live weather is 

I live fairly close to my home airport. My, admittedly unsophisticated, approach is to look out the window, load up the default live weather and see how they match. MSFS is usually quite close. 

6 hours ago, fppilot said:

I checked your message footer, what am I supposed to be seeing?

I bought REX Weather Force when it came out, but lately REX is at best hit and miss. It seems they have server issues. Not sure whether those have been resolved, haven't checked their discord lately, as I got tired of having to switch off REX and revert back to MSFS live weather. As I said, live weather works for me. 

Edited by Ricardo41

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

I checked your message footer, what am I supposed to be seeing?

Well if  you look  more  closely  at  his  footer,  its  in  bold  he is a former USAF meteorologist and  since  the  title  of  the  thread  is Live  weather

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Well I agree that "look-wise" the weather engine is doing a great job. My main problem is that most of the time (around Europe where I usually fly) the QNH is way off most of the time. Yesterday did a flight from ESSA... the real live metar said QNH 1022... MSFS said 1013.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nuggit82 said:

Well I agree that "look-wise" the weather engine is doing a great job. My main problem is that most of the time (around Europe where I usually fly) the QNH is way off most of the time. Yesterday did a flight from ESSA... the real live metar said QNH 1022... MSFS said 1013.

Again, MFS gets its data from MeteoBlue, a Swiss company of weather forecasting.These are predictions not observations. The word « live weather » is misleading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteoblue

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam