Sign in to follow this  
SwissairMD11

Being poor because of Audi's

11 hours ago, Fielder said:

Has anyone here got or ordered one of the new generation Corvettes?

Drove one at the track.  Incredible machine!!!  Then it started to spit transmission fluid and had to be taken away on a flatbed.  Never caught up with the owner to find out what happened but while it was running it was incredible and simply stunning to look at.  @Fielder is right too, used prices are through the roof.  My dealership is begging to take my GTS back and put me in an EV.  The new Taycan Cross Turismo does have my eye... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

1 minute ago, SwissairMD11 said:

My S4 has been more expensive than it will be worth. Buying + modes + upgrades + maintenance. But it's for me all about the fun I have with it. I rather be happy and have enjoyment than worry about how much I can make from it, and worry how much I drive it so the mileages stays low

That's the story of my life.  Both my motorcycle and race car have twice the amount of money in them I could ever hope to recover but it's not true that you can't buy happiness.  You absolutely can and for me it comes in the form of track days 🙂  The only caveat being that "buying" happiness is VERY expensive LOL!!!  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

On 5/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, psolk said:

Macan was bone stock... 

Have you taken an electric car around the track? A Rimac would be good. 

Corvette drag...

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

There is just so much wrong with that clip…

Why pick a Model Y for the comparison?
The ‘Vette speaks to a completely different audience.
It’s gorgeous and sassy and just what you’d want for a Sunday morning breakfast run.
The Tesla is none of those things: what you’d take to the supermarket after breakfast maybe.

It’s like comparing a shopping trolley with a skateboard.
Surely somewhere you’d be able to lay your hands on a Model 3 Performance?
At least they are speaking the same language, to a degree.

As to the performance: the Corvette lost 18% of its power at that altitude, amazing to see the Tesla catch it on the run. Which is not how Teslas win drag races: they drop the competition in the first 10 metres, then just stay ahead for the remainder. Don’t know why they waited for the Chev to go before putting the electric hammer down. Maybe it makes better video.   

As to the lap time, and poor handling of the Model Y: you do not drive a shopping trolley like a race car. Even a decent Tesla (=Model 3P) is driven into a corner on trailing go pedal (= throttle in oldspeak), then nail it on the way out, point and squirt smoothly. Deceptively quick but disappointing to watch because it’s simply fast. If you stamp on the brakes it will porpoise uncomfortably. Tesla drivers never use brakes in real life; the car is set up accordingly. A Model 3P properly handled may well have taken it.

However electric vehicles are not trackday cars – yet. They die just as it’s getting to be fun.
But think what a mighty car the next-gen electric Corvette might be!  

• Upvote 1

I’m a bit late but this thread has been an interesting read.  I current drive a 2018 VW Golf R, previously I drove a 2016 GTI.  The R is a ton of fun (how could a 300hp, AWD hatch back not be fun?) but I’ve also always had a thing for Audis.  I plan to go to a premium brand and a bit of a size increase for my next car in a few years...loosely mulling an S4 or A5/S5 (maybe A4 but that would be an overall performance decrease from my current R).  

I just love the look of the Audi 5 series but an S5 is getting into some serious cash (not that the S4 is chump change of course).  Stories of Audi reliability do scare me a bit though...will probably look at BMW as well when the time comes and maybe even the Kia Stinger which offers a lot of car for the money if I can talk my ego out of my desire to drive one of the premium brands.

I’ve also always wanted a summer convertible as well but that would mean a more basic daily driver to spread the money across two cars...

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

32 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I just love the look of the Audi 5 series but an S5 is getting into some serious cash (not that the S4 is chump change of course).  Stories of Audi reliability do scare me a bit though..

Loving my B9 S5 coupe, 2 years and no issues at all. Knock on wood. 😉

• Like 1

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

announced yesterday "the lowest drag coefficient of any production car"

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 5/3/2021 at 7:37 AM, Chock said:

Well, I'm just going off personal experience with this kind of thing. Frankly, the best car I've ever had was a VW Polo. It was built like a tank.

I have a 2012 VW Golf R.  It has never given me any trouble.  Its only problem is it is a black car, and the birds love it.

They've never sold the Polo over here.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 5/23/2021 at 12:50 PM, regis9 said:

I’m a bit late but this thread has been an interesting read.  I current drive a 2018 VW Golf R, previously I drove a 2016 GTI.  The R is a ton of fun (how could a 300hp, AWD hatch back not be fun?)

Ok now you've been holding out on me.  Another FS guy with a Golf R?  Who would have thought.

You ought to mod that thing.  Mine has 383hp AWD and will flat move out -- and has been very reliable nonetheless.  

• Like 1

Rhett

17 hours ago, Mace said:

I have a 2012 VW Golf R.  It has never given me any trouble.  Its only problem is it is a black car, and the birds love it.

Ugh mine is black too.  Looks amazing for about five minutes after I finish washing it.  My golf course has a gravel parking lot so trying to keep it clean in the summer is a losing effort.  Love the car but it’s my first and last black one!

17 hours ago, Mace said:

You ought to mod that thing.  Mine has 383hp AWD and will flat move out -- and has been very reliable nonetheless.  

It certainly is a solid modding platform..I might get Into that post warranty though I have to say 300hp does pretty much everything I need for now.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

Ugh mine is black too.  Looks amazing for about five minutes after I finish washing it.  My golf course has a gravel parking lot so trying to keep it clean in the summer is a losing effort.  Love the car but it’s my first and last black one!

Yeah, black is ok but I probably wouldn't do it again.

Little known fact to tie to this thread, the Mk6 VW Golf R (2012-2013) has the same drivetrain as the 2006-2013 Audi S3.

Rhett

Ditto for my Mk7 Golf R and the current S3.  Love the convenience of the hatch on mine though.

Dave