Sign in to follow this  
SwissairMD11

Being poor because of Audi's

4 hours ago, Chock said:

I used to drive for BCA collecting leased cars, there were quite a few Audis being returned because they leaked on the door seals and in other place, although in fairness, that did tend to be the lower-end models. From all the cars I drove, most of which were fairly fancy ones, it was obvious the best make was BMW by a very long way in terms of being nice to drive, fast, well built and reliable.

As we speak, there is a BMW 540 ix on the Marguerite Ace (car carrier ship) just off the coast of the U.S. with my name on it.  It left Bremerhaven, Germany on the 23rd of April after being built to my specs in Munich.  I've waited about 8 weeks for it...it seems the chip shortage hasn't affected BMW like it has Mercedes and other manufacturers.  Although I've enjoyed Audis, Mercedes, and other cars over the years, I'm really looking forward to this BMW.  It's 4.6 secs to 100 kmh (60 mph) and it has the MSport package.  Actually uses a mild hybrid system that is 48 volts and adds 11 additional horsepower to the car.  

Stan

Went from a 2010 Mitsubishi Ralliart to a Hyundai Kona EV about a year ago and couldn't be happier. Thought I'd miss the excellent 4WD from the Mitsubishi this last winter (we got INSANE amounts of snow) but the Kona is quite good despite it is only 2WD. Next car will definitely be another EV and I am seriously eyeing a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

That Mitsubishi was good, though. Had it for six years and it never once let me down. Ran like a clock (but with a very thirsty engine).

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

The rule of thumb for the things like this - google for the service costs first (the parts aren't expensive, but the cost of labor is). Also, if your car is out of the warranty, then do yourself a favor - find a reliable after-market service shop and get friendly with its owner. You will save between 30-50% comparing with the prices of the official dealerships. 

15 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

Next car will definitely be another EV and I am seriously eyeing a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Model Y I fancy. 

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Most reliable manufacturers

I'm surprised not to see Toyota listed. Are they not sold in he U.K.?

My 1998 Toyota Camry is the best and most reliable car I've ever owned.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Yes they are and the range is bigger. They even have "baby" Land Cruisers. 

20 minutes ago, G-YMML1 said:

Yes they are and the range is bigger. They even have "baby" Land Cruisers. 

That's good to know. I bought my Camry as the "2nd owner" from a local car lot. It was the personal vehicle of the lot owner's Aunt and Uncle. When the Uncle died, he brought the car to his lot to sell since his Aunt doesn't drive.

This Camry was garage kept and had only 24k miles on it. It was only driven to church on Sunday's and to the local grocery store once a week. I've had it now for not quite six years and it has accumulated 126k miles. It burns 23 mpg in town and 35 mpg on the highways.

The only major expense was having a broken door handle on the driver's side replaced. The local Toyota dealer charged $328 to replace it! :nangis: I could have bought the parts from Amazon for around $30, but lacked the tools and knowledge to do the work myself. As I used to tell my customers when they brought their 2-way radios for repair,

"You are not paying me for what I do, but rather what I know how to do..." :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Id like to put a case forward for Ford. I've been driving for nearly 10 years now and I've always had a Ford. Two Focus's and two Mondeo's. The only thing I've ever had to replace is one power steering pump. Last year I decided I wanted a change and picked up a nice 2013 Mazda 6. Almost straight away the tyre pressure monitoring system started going crazy and now the central locking is playing up. Cant wait to get back into a Ford lol.   

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

Plenty of Toyota's. They came 19th in 2019 in the JD Power survey. 

35 minutes ago, james42 said:

Id like to put a case forward for Ford. I've been driving for nearly 10 years now and I've always had a Ford. Two Focus's and two Mondeo's. The only thing I've ever had to replace is one power steering pump. Last year I decided I wanted a change and picked up a nice 2013 Mazda 6. Almost straight away the tyre pressure monitoring system started going crazy and now the central locking is playing up. Cant wait to get back into a Ford lol.   

19th in the survey Ford. Not a bad result. I've always had Ford too, before the Mazda CX5, apart from briefly a Volvo. Had plenty of issues with Ford but then I did keep them for years. Refinement was lacking though compared with the Volvo  and the Mazda.  

Edited by martin-w

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Most reliable manufacturers

Least reliable manufacturers

I want to take issue with these nonsensical results. People that buy cheap cars are less finicky about quality. People that buy Audis, BMWs, Mercedes and Porsches expect perfection and are far more likely to complain. If you think that a Suzuki is more reliable than an Audi, then fine, go buy one.

Edited by jabloomf1230

6 minutes ago, jabloomf1230 said:

I want to take issue with these nonsensical results. People that buy cheap cars are less finicky about quality. People that buy Audis, BMWs, Mercedes and Porsches expect perfection and are far more likely to complain. If you think that a Suzuki is more reliable than an Audi, then fine, go buy one.

+100.

and sometimes people confuse the wear/tear + maintenance expenses (which aren't cheap and unavoidable) with the reliability related expenses. Yes, the new set of brakes could bite a wallet, 

Ford is better that Chevy

Ferrari is better than Lamborghini

and

Sophia is better looking than Gina

So there...................🙂

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

4 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Cheap cars have far less components that can go wrong, an Audi or BMW is filled with electronics and electronic glitches. 

I always buy a 10 year old Honda (or Toyota) and drive them for another 10 years. Those cars that get that old still work just as good as the day they rolled off the assembly line, and cheap to maintain as a DIY. To keep an Audi or BMW going to for 20 years will cost 3 or 4 times the original cost of the car and you can't do the work on them yourself, they are money pits.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Many years ago I had a succession of these, each better than the last 

325.jpg

Absolutely bulletproof, I still see them on the road - unfortunately you don't know how well a car will do until you look back and say: "That was a bulletproof car!"

7 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Next car will definitely be another EV and I am seriously eyeing a Tesla Model 3 Performance.

Those not yet in the know will not appreciate how an EV is so very different from the traditional ICE dealer business model. As invented by Tesla, it's a bit like owning a long life appliance. Service? What service, unless it breaks? And it shouldn't.

The Model 3 Performance is in a class of its own, you will not be disappointed.

But the avalanche of EV's for 2021/22 is a delight. Tesla better up its game because it's got everyone going.

Audi will make a stunning set of EV's next year

And the Merc EQS will reinvent the luxury vehicle.

BMW sadly lost the plot and now make surely the ugliest range of cars available.
Partly because Kia snapped up the best European designers and will produce stuff like this.

Edited by WingZ