Jump to content

Bobsk8

Is reinstalling a good decision?

Recommended Posts

In the last two days, on approach I have had four screen freezes, and 2 CTDs and not one successful flight all the way to the arrival landing. I have emptied the Community folder except for the JF Arrow.  This always happens within about 25 miles of the arrival airport. The flight that just CTD , I was 10 miles from landing. Now I am thinking that maybe the only alternative , which I have never had to do with any sim I have flown, is to uninstall and reinstall it. Is this a wise decision, that's what I can't figure out. 


Bob Cardone         MSFS 2020   FlyVirtual.net    H-135

Avliasoft EFB2    ATC  by PF3  JF Arrow 3  Mooney

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

In the last two days, on approach I have had four screen freezes, and 2 CTDs and not one successful flight all the way to the arrival landing. I have emptied the Community folder except for the JF Arrow.  This always happens within about 25 miles of the arrival airport. The flight that just CTD , I was 10 miles from landing. Now I am thinking that maybe the only alternative , which I have never had to do with any sim I have flown, is to uninstall and reinstall it. Is this a wise decision, that's what I can't figure out. 

I was having freezes like that a while ago, but it hasnt happened in a long time. I didnt reinstall anything or really do anything different, other than lower my graphics settings from Ultra to High-End when flying demanding aircraft like the CRJ.

I suspected the freezes were due to too much demand on my system, so it might worth a try lowering your settings if you haven't done so already. Otherwise reinstalling couldnt hurt.

I understand how extremely frustrating it is since I constantly had CTDs and freezes on P3D, and nothing seemed to resolve them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done two reinstalls already (one to move the sim to a new drive) and I can't say it fixed anything, but there's no real downside that I can see.  All my settings kept, and as long as your internet speed is good enough, I just let it run overnight.  Then just put everything back into the community folder.  I had taken screenshots of all my settings and controller assignments, but didn't need any of it. 

Again I won't promise it will help, but as far as I can tell the process is pretty easy and painless (provided you're not on a limited internet connection).


-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

In the last two days, on approach I have had four screen freezes, and 2 CTDs and not one successful flight all the way to the arrival landing. I have emptied the Community folder except for the JF Arrow.  This always happens within about 25 miles of the arrival airport. The flight that just CTD , I was 10 miles from landing. Now I am thinking that maybe the only alternative , which I have never had to do with any sim I have flown, is to uninstall and reinstall it. Is this a wise decision, that's what I can't figure out. 

I reinstalled MSFS twice. First time, I've been told uninstall beta and install release. However, second time I elected myself to do so because I had lot of problems CTDs, freezes and so on. It painfully long process but totally worth it in my case. There is guaranteed it will fix anything but it did work for me!

 

P.S. Make sure you backup yours community folder. And then reintroduce add ons later!


flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am installing it now. Even reinstalling it is confusing. I had the Premium deluxe version, so I clicked on that , it installs some files, Then MSFS  starts and I guess now it is installing the sim itself. Hopefully this will cure some of the problems I was having. otherwise, another hobby is in the works. 

  • Upvote 1

Bob Cardone         MSFS 2020   FlyVirtual.net    H-135

Avliasoft EFB2    ATC  by PF3  JF Arrow 3  Mooney

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

I reinstalled MSFS twice. First time, I've been told uninstall beta and install release. However, second time I elected myself to do so because I had lot of problems CTDs, freezes and so on. It painfully long process but totally worth it in my case. There is guaranteed it will fix anything but it did work for me!

 

P.S. Make sure you backup yours community folder. And then reintroduce add ons later!

Yeah I forgot to back up community  folder, but all it had was the JF Arrow, and I still have the install for that. Question, after it installs, do you have to run the updates too, or are they part of the install?

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Upvote 1

Bob Cardone         MSFS 2020   FlyVirtual.net    H-135

Avliasoft EFB2    ATC  by PF3  JF Arrow 3  Mooney

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Yeah I forgot to back up community  folder, but all it had was the JF Arrow, and I still have the install for that. Question, after it installs, do you have to run the updates too, or are they part of the install?

The simupdates are part of the install. It seems to download the original files (from August I guess) and all the updates since then. The Worldupdates, along with all other purchases from the marketplace can be downloaded from within the Content Manager.
The sim also remembers all your settings, including controllers. IMO that's a mixed bag since retaining the settings might mean retaining the issues as well.

If you suspect the CTD's are caused by the World Updates you could hold off installing them until you have flown some of the known CTD routes so you can compare before/after.

Good luck. This sim is a beauty when it works, and a butch when it doesn't.

Edited by orchestra_nl
something that wasn't allowed
  • Upvote 1

Flightsim PC:
AMD 3900x (stock) with Scythe Mugen 5 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2TB Nvme SSD | Corsair RM850x PSU | Fractal Define 7 XL case
Output: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 Gsync | Logitech Z906 speakerset
Controllers: Wooting 2 keyboard | Logitech Mouse | Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind 3 pedals | CH products Throttle Quadrant | Stream Deck XL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CTD after CTD after CTD, this is so FSX all over gain it's crazy.  Try this try that, update to fix one thing break 2 others, beyond ridiculous 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CTDs ususally point to user-generated problems. Review your system/software, etc. as a first step in trouble shooting. Many actual causes - overclocks, community folders that look like the insight of Dracula's castle, broken runtime libraries, messing around with core sim files without knowing what one is doing, etc. - have already been posted in the 4500 threads about these issues. Review your Windows Event Viewer log(s). Post the content into Google to see what comes up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, canuk22 said:

CTD after CTD after CTD, this is so FSX all over gain it's crazy.  Try this try that, update to fix one thing break 2 others, beyond ridiculous 

 

3 minutes ago, canuk22 said:

none of the above

And these 2 posts of yours are supposed to help the OP in which way ?

  • Like 4

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-10900KF @5.1Ghz HT off | Cooler: ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX3090 OC | MoBo: ASUS Maximus XII Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR4 @3600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 970EVO Plus (Win10), 1Tb Samsung M.2 970EVO Plus (P3D), 1Tb Samsung 860EVO (MSFS) | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS & P3D v5.1 Professional | FTX Global, OpenLC EU and NA | Wx: ASP3D & EA | Chaseplane | BA Virtual

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you want me to tell you, the sim was working and now it's not, ever since the hotfix.  The hotfix botch it, do these people ever test things?  They're chasing their tail!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

CTDs ususally point to user-generated problems. Review your system/software, etc. as a first step in trouble shooting. Many actual causes - overclocks, community folders that look like the insight of Dracula's castle, broken runtime libraries, messing around with core sim files without knowing what one is doing, etc. - have already been posted in the 4500 threads about these issues. Review your Windows Event Viewer log(s). Post the content into Google to see what comes up.

Tried  everyone of those at least 2 dozen times. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

Bob Cardone         MSFS 2020   FlyVirtual.net    H-135

Avliasoft EFB2    ATC  by PF3  JF Arrow 3  Mooney

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reinstall went smooth. Got up this morning, already loading is much smoother, music doesn't drop out as it is loading. All settings are saved . I was surprised it even saved my logbook , all my hours are still there. I guess that proves that the hours are stored in the cloud, because after uninstalling, I had deleted anything that was in MSFS folders. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 2

Bob Cardone         MSFS 2020   FlyVirtual.net    H-135

Avliasoft EFB2    ATC  by PF3  JF Arrow 3  Mooney

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I flew exactly 5 minutes and a CTD. So much for reinstalling. 


Bob Cardone         MSFS 2020   FlyVirtual.net    H-135

Avliasoft EFB2    ATC  by PF3  JF Arrow 3  Mooney

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

    AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

    Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.


    46%
    $11,745.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now
×
×
  • Create New...