Sign in to follow this  
BostonJeremy77

CaptainSim releases Boeing 777-200ER for MSFS!

11 minutes ago, styckx said:

After their `legal takedown' of repaints I'm surprised you didn't get a takedown notice for your review of this plane.

To be honest, I did consider taking it down. Not because of any perceived threat, but in considering the notion that there is 'no such thing as bad publicity'. However, I think it probably helps people make a sensible decision based on what they see, so I've left it up there. What I will be doing however, is if they patch it, I'll make an updated review and then they'll see my guns come out for sure with regard to this latest move of theirs. And I can guarantee that will prove there absolutely is such a thing as bad publicity.

I remain hopeful that the backlash from this move will see them change their stance on this, so that everyone can get back to either liking or disliking this add-on based purely on what it is and not what their stupid and frankly mean-spirited stance on repaints has engendered, but I guess we'll see.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Just now, Zangoose said:

This is what they had to say on their forum so far about the matter:

dFbHjiI.png

'We encourage community to create free liveries and share them freely' however, if you do, we will threaten to sue you unless you agree with our own preposterous definition of what the word 'freely' actually means.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

16 minutes ago, Zangoose said:

This is what they had to say on their forum so far about the matter:

*snipped quoted pic to save screen space*

* - Via our half baked walled garden system of distribution so that any `free repaint' is hosted by us, only us so we can claim ownership. 

Let's get to the laughs shall we? Technically by their own words you can't host free repaints anywhere except their own distribution channel

YET! Their own repaint submission form doesn't even accept uploads. You have to host your repaint somewhere else first, and then provide the URL to them. You literally can not make this stuff up. What an absolute amateur hour embarrassment from top to bottom for the flight sim community

iCNyB3n.png

Edited by styckx
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

OK I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that now CS are "charging" for repaints of companies airliners by adding this to their "paid for" program.

I would really like to know if this is now a copyright issue with the airlines, especially in MSFS2020 where Microsoft have already said that because they charge for their planes then they have to get permission from every airline before they can use their livery whereas if the livery was free, there wouldn't be so many issues..  This was one of the reasons they gave for slow AI and liveries and not having actual liveries in the sim.

Personally, I have "advised" an airline I know a couple of chief execs of as to what is happening here and they are looking into it, as one of the free liveries that they were happy with (it's their airline) is now locked behind a paywall  (which they are not happy with)...  (oddly enough they already had the livery themselves when it was free because they wanted to plonk a couple of 777's on the ground at their airports..  not to fly them..  they were already unhappy with a 777 using 747 default stuff but kinda got over it because it looked like their airliner.)  🙂

Graham

Edited by Moria15

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

2 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

OK I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that now CS are "charging" for repaints of companies airliners by adding this to their "paid for" program.

I would really like to know if this is now a copyright issue with the airlines, especially in MSFS2020 where Microsoft have already said that because they charge for their planes then they have to get permission from every airline before they can use their livery whereas if it was free, there wouldn't be so many issues..  This was one of the reasons they gave for slow AI and liveries.

Personally, I have "advised" an airline I know a couple of chief execs of as to what is happening here and they are looking into it, as one of the free liveries that they were happy with is now locked behind a paywall  (which they are not happy with)...  (oddly enough they already had the livery themselves when it was free because they wanted to plonk a couple of 777's on the ground at their airports..  not to fly them..  they were already unhappy with a 777 using 747 default stuff.)  🙂

Graham

LOL. Nice.. Yeah. DO NOT screw with airlines and profiteer off them. They will literally destroy you.

• Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

That thought occurred to me too with regard to airline permissions, although in the interests of factual accuracy, the main reason MS and Asobo had difficulty gaining approval from airlines for livery usage was apparently because of the Covid pandemic, where the airlines had bigger fish to fry than worry about authorising liveries for a flight sim, so their response to such requests was understandably slower than it might otherwise have been.

Still, I'd love to see BA come at CS with an 'Oh is that so? Let me pass you on to our corporate identity department lawyer' type of phone call. Live by the sword and all that...

Edited by Chock
  • Like 2

Alan Bradbury

A downside of getting airlines involved with this mess, they could turn around on the whole FS community and say you can't make repaints of their liveries for FS addons. I'm not saying they would but there could be pros and cons to this. As I'm pretty sure BA stopped a VA from having to use its logos in the end.

Edited by Zangoose
  • Like 3

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

Just now, Zangoose said:

A downside of getting airlines involved with this mess, they could turn around on the whole FS community and say you can't make repaints of their aircraft. I'm not saying they would but there could be pros and cons to this.

Yup, that's been mooted before when there was all that Papa Tango stuff transpiring with Avsim taking a stance against it. In the end it was determined that most airlines liked the PR and Tishma had to run off with his tail between his legs.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1

Alan Bradbury

1 minute ago, Zangoose said:

A downside of getting airlines involved with this mess, they could turn around on the whole FS community and say you can't make repaints of their liveries for FS addons. I'm not saying they would but there could be pros and cons to this.

Fortunately we have history on side with us and this CS embarrassment is just a rogue word not allowed thinking they are above it all.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Which I'm sure they will get plenty of

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Yup, that's been mooted before when there was all that Papa Tango stuff transpiring with Avsim taking a stance against it. In the end it was determined that most airlines liked the PR and Tishma had to run off with his tail between his legs.

Yeah, thats as I remember it, and certainly my friends are hot on the PR aspect and really like all the free stuff on flightsim.to.     I don't think it will be an issue to the free PR they are given, but they really really detest getting people to pay to another company for that PR and not getting a cut themselves 🙂

Graham 

System specs...   CPU AMD5950,  GPU AMD6900XT,  ROG crosshair VIII Hero motherboard, Corsair 64 gig LPX 3600 mem, Air cooling on GPU,   Kraken x pump cooling on CPU.  Samsung G7 curved 27" monitor at 2k resolution ULTRA default settings.

59 minutes ago, Chock said:

'We encourage community to create free liveries and share them freely' however, if you do, we will threaten to sue you unless you agree with our own preposterous definition of what the word 'freely' actually means.

Even worse, "We encourage community to create free liveries and share them freely' in our ACE platform (oh btw, we'll upload your liveries there without asking you permission, because you stole it first, so we steal it back"

So here is the link to their B777 publicity video.  Feel free to give relevant feedback!  :biggrin:  The like to dislike ratio is already about the worst I have ever seen. 

Looks like I was the first one to comment on there.  I expect it to be deleted and comments disabled shortly.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

45 minutes ago, styckx said:

LOL. Nice.. Yeah. DO NOT screw with airlines and profiteer off them. They will literally destroy you.

I hope they do. The community has been fantastic at improving MSFS for everyone's benefit. I really hope MS and Asobo get imvolved with this shower and apply the same tactics with CS.

Another possible customer that will never touch a CS product ever after this!

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

9 hours ago, tod said:

Modding is part of the tradition of FS, since FS98 or even earlier. Granted prior to MSFS2020, things were less complicated. Aircraft.cfg and .air files were the important ones to learn as we added liveries, tweaked FDEs, etc. My first panel merge was with PSS757 panel - remember that company? Over the years, freeware contributors and modders, be it scenery developers, aircraft, panels, utilities, etc, have all shaped our hobby to what it is today. Speaking of panels, here is my final work that now I can finally start to fly and enjoy this aircraft. Its not a replica (not intending to be), but sure beats what we're getting as default !!

FINAL-MOD.png

REPOST to correct **Image was not found or was removed** I can no longer edit my original posts. Only way is to reply to them.