Sign in to follow this  
-Belga-

PMDG is coming to MSFS

8 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The simulation of flow over/across terrain, for starters.  I think it's telling that there are no sailplanes in MSFS, because there'd be a whole bunch of unhappy campers looking for ridge lift that isn't there.  A true simulation of wind interaction with terrain would result in that.  They had slick graphics showing how they were supposedly modelling airmass flow and its effects--I find no evidence of that behavior in the sim.

Absolute nonsense. There is airflow affected by terrain. You can't find any false advertising can you. We got what it said on the tin. Ask for a refund because you were fooled by the false advertising. 😂

Edited by jarmstro
  • Like 7

15 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The simulation of flow over/across terrain, for starters.  I think it's telling that there are no sailplanes in MSFS, because there'd be a whole bunch of unhappy campers looking for ridge lift that isn't there.  A true simulation of wind interaction with terrain would result in that.  They had slick graphics showing how they were supposedly modelling airmass flow and its effects--I find no evidence of that behavior in the sim.

Then you havent flown low and slow over a mountain ridge in the sim lately.  It is absolutely there.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, espent said:

You said that planes will stop working twice a month. Please refute. 

No, actually I didn't say that.  I suggested it would be beyond bad for PMDG if the forced update cycle breaks the sim every couple of weeks (as it has in the past).  You know, like it did with the aforementioned flap bug.  Like the CTDs after update #5.  etc etc.  A casual read through the MSFS forums will net hundreds of reports/complaints of updates inducing CTDs, of third party add-ons (including high-quality stuff like WT) that unceremoniously stopped working after an update, of people having to jack their community folders around after each forced update etc etc. 

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Just now, w6kd said:

No, actually I didn't say that.  I suggested it would be beyond bad for PMDG if the forced update cycle breaks the sim every couple of weeks (as it has in the past).  You know, like it did with the aforementioned flap bug.  Like the CTDs after update #5.  etc etc.  A casual read through the MSFS forums will net hundreds of reports/complaints of updates inducing CTDs, of third party add-ons (including high-quality stuff like WT) that unceremoniously stopped working after an update, of people having to jack their community folders around after each forced update etc etc. 

you do realize that  people who are having issue tend to be more vocals while the others are just enjoying the sim. Again, you have a distorted view on MSFS.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

10 minutes ago, w6kd said:

So what should we all do? Delete MSFS? By the way, false advertising is a very serious accusation.

Edited by jarmstro

7 minutes ago, w6kd said:

And in almost every case there was either a workaround or a community fix that helped address the immediate situation.  A simple patch to config files dealt with the flap bug.

It can be mildly annoying perhaps, but far from a shifting sand problem and no worse than the same in legacy sims.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, w6kd said:

It would be bad if a meteor fell from the sky and hit me in the head as well. You are just trying to score cheap points by making it sound like things are much worse then they are. 

• Like 2

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

6 hours ago, Nyxx said:

If you bought the NGu for P3D you dont have to buy it "again"

I thought they had to pay like $19.oo or $39.00 dollars if they bought the P3D. They will know of course!

"Coffee, if your not shaking, you need another cup"
Flight Sim Break Discord Channel: https://discord.com/invite/fCV62Ka2QZ

1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

So what should we all do? Delete MSFS?

No, that's not what is being suggested.  Just suspend the wishful thinking and the frenzied expectations and take a look at what's actually there at any given time.  Then take an honest look at what was promised.

It serves no one's interest to keep saying, "Of course it's shoddy  and unfinished--everything is shoddy and unfinished."  Neither does berating those of us who are deeply disappointed in this "sim"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, w6kd said:

MSFS does simulate the downdraft and updraft on ridges though.  It's actually a specific lesson in FS Academy VFR, where on one side of the ridge, there is an updraft of wind: 

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 3

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

It's always interesting watching the way people cope when their deeply held beliefs -- like, say, that the earth is flat and you can fall off the edge; or that millions of people in the US are voting illegally; or that MSFS is a buggy, broken, gamey POS -- are challenged by concrete evidence and events.

Some people integrate the ideas into a new world view, some people just deny what's before their eyes and construct their own alternate reality, some people fly off the handle as though they have been personally attacked...   each person's reaction says a lot about them, really.

• Like 19
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

Then take an honest look at what was promised.

So what was promised that we haven't got and will not get? I'll tell you that the minute some one trumpets the fact they've flown a plane in real life I turn off. Do they really think I'm going to be impressed? I'm not.

3 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

So what should we all do? Delete MSFS?

Nope.  I'm suggesting folks set their expectations to realize that any PMDG acft showing up next month is likely to be beset with the same sort of problems as everything else affected by the numbing drumbeat of forced updates in MSFS.  And I'm pondering openly how PMDG might deal with what I see as a likely problem they've never really had before--how to keep the stink off their brand if stability/reliably proves an elusive challenge atop a morphing platform rife with frequent and problem-inducing forced updates.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

3 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

In the video, Randazzo estimates the 737 will be released between the end of summer (so September?) to between the end of 2021. 

In the past his estimates have been off by about 9 months on average. Just saying.

• Upvote 1

Guys, can we please not feed the troll? He wants to derail this thread and so far he’s succeeding.

This is a thread about PMDG’s plans in MSFS, not whether you like MSFS, remember?

James

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1