Sign in to follow this  
hanhamreds

REX Real Global airport textures

A word of caution, these are the "unusual" steps for installing which so far I have not been able to achieve:

Please read these instructions closely before your install your REX product:
1. Please make sure to set the UAC (User Account Control) to “never notify”.
2. Please make sure your REX product has inbound/outbound permission via your firewall software.
3. Please make sure that during the installation you disable your Antivirus software. This may seem odd, but because REX products utilize the internet as well as modifies files on the backend,
Antivirus software can think it is being hostile to your system. We can assure this is not the case and to prevent false reports we ask that you disable it.
4. Once your REX Software is installed, we ask that you please give the REX folder exclusion rights through your Antivirus or Malware software.
5. Finally, do not install your REX Software within your flight simulator folders. This could cause issues with your flight simulator product. Also, we recommend that you do not install REX within the Program Files folder

As I have so far not managed to install it, I wish I had waited until it was available in Orbx

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

5 hours ago, Zinertek said:

Up to this point we didn't want to comment on this thread as this thread is discussing a product that is not ours. 

However, for those of you wondering, yes, we did mention here on Avsim that we would be releasing an update to our add-on in late May. Obviously, the new version of our add-on is delayed but we can assure that we are working on it and it is coming this month. 

The reason for the delay is because we are doing a major overhaul to runways, taxiways, parking spaces, aprons, taxi lines, ground markings and more. So it's not a simple update where we are simply doing touch ups or minor enhancements. 

We appreciate your patience.

Thank you for posting this, this will help people wait to V2.0 I suppose.

However, since it's not already out, I think an option for switching between new/used textures like provided by REX would be a nice feature 😉

Edited by Noooch
  • Like 1

Also, the biggest problem with default runways is they are waay too visible in the distance. They should be hard to find in plain daylight.

So this would be, to me, the most important improvement if this can be done!

Edited by Noooch

1 hour ago, Espana Pete said:

A word of caution, these are the "unusual" steps for installing which so far I have not been able to achieve:

2. Please make sure your REX product has inbound/outbound permission via your firewall software.
3. Please make sure that during the installation you disable your Antivirus software. This may seem odd, but because REX products utilize the internet as well as modifies files on the backend,
Antivirus software can think it is being hostile to your system. We can assure this is not the case and to prevent false reports we ask that you disable it.
4. Once your REX Software is installed, we ask that you please give the REX folder exclusion rights through your Antivirus or Malware software.
5. Finally, do not install your REX Software within your flight simulator folders. This could cause issues with your flight simulator product. Also, we recommend that you do not install REX within the Program Files folder

As I have so far not managed to install it, I wish I had waited until it was available in Orbx

Is it possible that you just scared everyone away from the REX product?

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

The likelihood of me disabling my firewall and antivirus is by a factor of 5000 lower than the likelihood of me moving in with the Kardashians. 

Edited by Ricardo41
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

Yup.

Zinertek:

1. Download from simmarket.

2. Install to the community folder

3. Done

• Like 6

There is nothing unusual about these instructions and are common for most add-on developers and even developers of other products for Windows.  I have seen these instructions with other major products beyond just flight simulator.

• Like 1

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

17 minutes ago, bean_sprout said:

bs

Is it just possible that the Rex product could be as easy to install as other addons I have previously purchased?

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

11 minutes ago, rstough said:

There is nothing unusual about these instructions and are common for most add-on developers and even developers of other products for Windows.  I have seen these instructions with other major products beyond just flight simulator.

One of the reasons I disliked a similar flight sim was the convoluted way many of the addons needed to work and have been pleasantly pleased with the way all MSFS addons I have purchased up until now have been installed easily without the need to ensure they are in the correct hierarchical order etc.

I shall reserve my judgement on your product once I have received an answer from your support contact. Incidentally I was also surprised that your support form does not allow one to attach the "logs file" which I would have thought was a fairly basic requirement in easing the problem solving process at your end.

I am still hoping I shall be pleased with the end result but as I said previously, wish I had waited until it was available in Orbx with their easy to use id)ot proof downloader.

Edited by Espana Pete
  • Like 1

Much ado about nothing!  One way or another most developers have something like this in their install. Most simply say disable AV and all running programs and turn off UAC. I find that most folks ignore the warning unless they run into a problem.

Depending on how you have your system set up, it is VERY possible that an install will fail due to UAC or AV. Just like some setups require you to run as administrator to do the install.

I suggest we move on to product merit discussion - this tack is non productive.

• Like 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, rstough said:

I do not remember ever having to disable windows security features to install Software or add-ons. What is your add-on doing in the background?

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

3 hours ago, Espana Pete said:

Thanks for the PSA!!! The installation seems pretty draconian. Hard pass on any future REX products. 

• Like 1

Eric Escobar

8 minutes ago, strider1 said:

I do not remember ever having to disable windows security features to install Software or add-ons. What is your add-on doing in the background?

Eric, there is nothing out of the ordinary beyond a normal installation procedure. These are not hard requirements, the majority of folks run the installer just fine without having to perform any of these steps. We're only trying to bring attention to the matter to alleviate any foreseeable problems. Perhaps that should have been worded differently, "In case of installation issues...".

• Like 1

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

24 minutes ago, strider1 said:

We are not saying disable any windows security features.  The key is to make sure that software can move the texture files in the proper place.  Most of the cases it is not an issue, but we have had users that are running more than one Antivirus software and that can cause issues.

Edited by rstough

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

3 minutes ago, rstough said:

We are not saying disable any windows security features.  The key is to make sure that software can move the texture files in the proper place.  Most of the cases it is not an issue, but we have had users that are running more than one Antivirus software and that can cause issues.

Why not drag and drop into the community folder?

Eric Escobar