Sign in to follow this  
gboz

FPS increase coming?

36 minutes ago, Prpn said:

I saw that comparison somewhere else as well, but noticed it was 4K resolution with a render scale of 40... Wouldn't that make it essentially rendered at a sub-1080p resolution? Might not be very representative of performance boosts for people running native resolutions (render scale 100). I'm just gonna wait and see.

That part - render scaling [40] he used, confused me. I have a 2K monitor [2560X1440] and push my render scaling up to 120 and still get decent FPS , depending where I fly, using a RTX 2070 Super .

Will visit Manhattan to see what happens after SU 5.

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

27 minutes ago, SAPilot said:

That part - render scaling [40] he used, confused me. I have a 2K monitor [2560X1440] and push my render scaling up to 120 and still get decent FPS , depending where I fly, using a RTX 2070 Super .

Will visit Manhattan to see what happens after SU 5.

This setting is to make sure he was CPU limited, and not GPU limited. Had he been putting this slider to the right, it would have been harder to represent the jump in GPU load optimisation. Admittedly, what that means is that we'll see less of a FPS boost with our settings but a far better distribution of load which is great news still (along with the disappearance of stutters!)

Edited by Fry777
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Prpn said:

I saw that comparison somewhere else as well, but noticed it was 4K resolution with a render scale of 40... Wouldn't that make it essentially rendered at a sub-1080p resolution? Might not be very representative of performance boosts for people running native resolutions (render scale 100). I'm just gonna wait and see.

Render scaling was +40 so 100+40 =140 =1080@4k

4 hours ago, spacedyemeerkat said:

I do think we need to be careful about taking the claim quite so literally. I can see so much potential for real heartbreak in a month's time if not everyone sees the same benefit. They might have been better served just to have stated they've seen a "nice" performance increase on their test systems.

That said, obviously - obviously! - such an increase would be welcomed by every single one of us.

Personally i count on even bigger benefits then they promised for update 5...but that's just the way that i am 😀

• Like 2

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

9 minutes ago, devgrp said:

Render scaling was +40 so 100+40 =140 =1080@4k

A Render Scaling of 40 at a 4k resolution means 1536x864 rendered resolution in fullscreen – as we can see in the Infos on-screen in the Twitch video, Sebastian has a rendered resolution of 1536*810 or so. I suppose this is because of the Development mode menu bar.

Render Scaling is a percentage of the output resolution: 3840x40/100 = 1536. This means that 1080p render resolution is achieved with a setting of 50, 1440p with 70 on a 4k screen.

I am quite surprised about the spec of his PC.  I suppose it is mid-range and that is what he was trying to represent.

I looked up an RTX2060 to see the price, but I was amazed to see that my old GTX1080Ti is still about 30% faster than this newer card.

I currently run 4k@70% scaling on a 4k monitor, and can hold 30fps locked almost everywhere. (I tried 75% in user config, but it was right on the edge - not worth it).

I notice that 4k@80% looks considerably better / sharper though, but I cant quit hold 30 FPS at that, so hopefully this SU5 will enable me to do that. 
I will be happy with that, as I don't want to get my expectations up too high.

Edited by bobcat999
  • Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

When will it be released?

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

7 minutes ago, micstatic said:

When will it be released?

July 27th alongside the Xbox release is the plan I think.

• Like 1

It is said that developers will code and test a game on a mid spec PC which would cover the broadest range of users, and run well with those specs. Those with higher performance machines can max out the settings as they see fit.  The FPS increase shouldnt be the biggest draw here but rather seeing the hardware load far more balanced.  Not everything needs to be done on 1 or 2 threads, but now distributed. That in of itself is a giant step forward. 

You never want summer to go by quick, but July 27th needs to come fast.  lol

• Like 4

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

27 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

I am quite surprised about the spec of his PC.  I suppose it is mid-range and that is what he was trying to represent.

I looked up an RTX2060 to see the price, but I was amazed to see that my old GTX1080Ti is still about 30% faster than this newer card.

The 1080 Ti is about on par with a 2070 Super in raster.

Of course if the game supports ray tracing and DLSS the scenario changes drastically.

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

jeeez, and I am already happy to see constant 30 fps now with my upgraded rig with no stutters at all at high settings. just checked NYC and buzzing across downtown is mindblowing smooth now, curious to see whether a happy camper can become even happier

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

1 hour ago, MrFuzzy said:

Of course if the game supports ray tracing and DLSS the scenario changes drastically.

For the good or otherwise  ?  .. not so clued up with GPU's and what goes with it.

Thanks

Edited by SAPilot
added text

Intel i7 - 9700K @ 3.60 GHz   |   Asus RTX 3080  |  32 GB RAM  |  Saitek ProFlight Yoke System and Rudder Pedals | X-Touch Mini | Honeycomb Bravo TQ

14 minutes ago, SAPilot said:

For the good or otherwise  ?  .. not so clued up with GPU's and what goes with it.

Thanks

RTX cards have dedicated hardware for ray tracing and DLSS. In particular for the second feature, an RTX 2070 will be much faster than a GTX 1080 Ti if DLSS is used because in order to give a comparable image quality it will have to deal internally with a much lower resolution. GTX cards can take advantage of AMD FidelityFX which is a similar technology, but not so efficient and qualitative.

Ray tracing is not supported at all by GTX cards, although some kind of emulation can be done (see Battlefield V), but in this case the performances drop drastically as opposed to RTX cards.

• Like 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

40 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

RTX cards have dedicated hardware for ray tracing and DLSS. In particular for the second feature, an RTX 2070 will be much faster than a GTX 1080 Ti if DLSS is used because in order to give a comparable image quality it will have to deal internally with a much lower resolution. GTX cards can take advantage of AMD FidelityFX which is a similar technology, but not so efficient and qualitative.

Ray tracing is not supported at all by GTX cards, although some kind of emulation can be done (see Battlefield V), but in this case the performances drop drastically as opposed to RTX cards.

Thank you for the explanation, now I understand better. I am just happy that I managed to get a GEFORCE RTX 2070 Super last year before the mad rush, at a normal price.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, crimplene said:

A Render Scaling of 40 at a 4k resolution means 1536x864 rendered resolution in fullscreen – as we can see in the Infos on-screen in the Twitch video, Sebastian has a rendered resolution of 1536*810 or so. I suppose this is because of the Development mode menu bar.

Render Scaling is a percentage of the output resolution: 3840x40/100 = 1536. This means that 1080p render resolution is achieved with a setting of 50, 1440p with 70 on a 4k screen.

Could you venture a guess where I could set RS to on a 3880x1440 display in order to balance CPU/GPU load?  I've always left it at 100, and I'm always GPU-limited, and vsync to 30Hz to add that twist.  Hardware specs in my sig...

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X