Sign in to follow this  
TASCHMANN

MSFS has never been RELIABLE

We have seen this so many times before...the hype campaign about the "huge performance enhancement” which is just another in the long line of  graphics downgrades that try to present that illusion.

We have seen the broken features which we are advised simply not to use e.g. AI traffic, multiplayer.

We are advised which files to dig out and edit so that our changes in settings will actually be saved.

We are told that for best results while flying, try  not to look too quickly to the left or right so as to accommodate the shortcuts that were taken to squeeze out a few more fps (in some cases)

After almost a year or so it is now clear, to me at least, that this will never be the sim I had hoped for.  It is, was and remains...a "toy plane game" that actually works some of the time …for a few minutes at a time… at a level that struggles to approach FS2000 in terms of reliability.  It has been little else than a year long study in frustration.

For those who remain optimistic, I have a question:  How is it possible to create a full featured sim where the planes can be controlled with an Xbox controller?

How can the future be bright for a “sim” that continually downgrades the ONLY thing that makes it worth considering  (graphics) in an effort to some day get the basic features found in every other serious sim (P3D, XP11, DCS) to work?

One of those features has never been present in this “game” because it clearly doesn’t seem to be a priority these developers…reliability. 

With no reliability at all, the best we can hope for is a vehicle to test our patience. Are more of those needed in the world?

Edited by TASCHMANN
  • Like 15
  • Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, TASCHMANN said:

huge performance enhancement

I'm going to have to disagree, in my personal case, SU5 was a huge performance improvement with minimal or no visual impact that I can see. In my humble opinion, MS and Asobo have deliver, that doesn't mean there are no issues that will get sorted out eventually. 

I do not see the purpose of this thread, it is what it is, you can always go back to whatever sim you enjoyed before.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 24

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I've been enjoying my experience so far.  Sorry you are having issues. I can't wait to play again if this update ever finishes.

• Like 6

I completely disagree but that's just me. With this update, I've maxed out my settings and I'm having the best VR experience I've ever had less the overexposed clouds!

• Like 9

System: i7-10700K, Asus Formula XII, 32GB ram, Samsung 2TB NVMe SSD, EVGA FTW 3090, HP Reverb G2 headset

Hardware: VitualFly Yoko yoke, VirtualFly TQ6 throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR pedals, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Simulations: MSFS 2020 (VR), P3Dv5.3 (VR), X-Plane 11.5 (VR), DCS (VR)

I've purchased and used software that has been unreliable since the dawn of the PC. Back then unfortunately I didn't have any online places where I could vent in perpetuity, so I just moved on to something more suitable. I am presuming you will be doing so, and thanks for the advance notice. 

• Like 3

It is one thing to criticize the asking of questions.  It is something quite different to venture an answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TASCHMANN said:

We have seen this so many times before...the hype campaign about the "huge performance enhancement” which is just another in the long line of  graphics downgrades that try to present that illusion.

We have seen the broken features which we are advised simply not to use e.g. AI traffic, multiplayer.

We are advised which files to dig out and edit so that our changes in settings will actually be saved.

We are told that for best results while flying, try  not to look too quickly to the left or right so as to accommodate the shortcuts that were taken to squeeze out a few more fps (in some cases)

After almost a year or so it is now clear, to me at least, that this will never be the sim I had hoped for.  It is, was and remains...a "toy plane game" that actually works some of the time …for a few minutes at a time… at a level that struggles to approach FS2000 in terms of reliability.  It has been little else than a year long study in frustration.

For those who remain optimistic, I have a question:  How is it possible to create a full featured sim where the planes can be controlled with an Xbox controller?

How can the future be bright for a “sim” that continually downgrades the ONLY thing that makes it worth considering  (graphics) in an effort to some day get the basic features found in every other serious sim (P3D, XP11, DCS) to work?

One of those features has never been present in this “game” because it clearly doesn’t seem to be a priority these developers…reliability. 

With no reliability at all, the best we can hope for is a vehicle to test our patience. Are more of those needed in the world?

While I understand your sentiment, this still looks 100 times better than P3D and even runs twice as fast now. And don't get me started about popping-in or CTDs in P3D or devs that don't update glaring issues for half a year... I don't know if that is your definition of "serious".
I stayed with P3D until May this year, so I am by no means a die hard fan of MSFS. I do miss GSX and AIG, a lot; it's the only thing missing for that "seriousness" you talk about (well, that and all those study level airliners coming within a year)

Edited by Fiorentoni
  • Like 11
  • Upvote 1

I was not happy when I noticed the pop-in at first, but I have accepted it, it is not that bad after all, the performance increase is amazing and the game has never been as smooth and stutter-free as it is now, so I thinks the pros outweigh the cons with this update.

• Like 14

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Apologies. I reread the novella, and there was a question in there. 

My response is that none of the other Sims have attempted anything as bleeding edge as this one. Global in scale, both in scenery and weather, while using a meager amount of local storage, and playable on mid-tier hardware is an incredible achievement, and I am sure a steep learning curve for the developers. 

It seems that once things were initially released they realized their need to optimize in order to be able to add more. They have admitted this. Now that they have created a more streamlined engine, they have freed up headroom to build upon it. If you believe they can do so, then accept it today. If not, play something that does what you want. It's quite simple. 

Edited by OneOfMany
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, liamp51 said:

oh boy oh boy here we go again 🤣🤣

Do you feel better now that you got that off your chest? Why don't you go back to one of the  RealSim(s)™ that you brought up? Bye!

Wait til he discovers that you can play Xplane and P3D with an Xbox controller too!

There will be no RealSims left to run to...

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I agree about the reliability issue.....Even though I am getting a pretty smooth flight experience from the update performancewise, screen gitching/flashing and some strange aircraft behavior seems to have been introduced (panel knobs on at cold and dark, radical speed bumps during flight, airport locations not being saved in World menu, etc.) none of which I had experienced before the overhaul update.  Hopefully it gets sorted out. But it should have been sorted before official release especially since it wasn't called a beta.

• Upvote 1

Kind regards,

Tim

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K (OC 4.7) CPU COOLER: Noctua nh-d15S GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070-Ti FTW2 8GB  SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB HDD: Seagate 500GB - Maxtor 250GB - WD 250GB RAM: Team Vulcan 16 GB MBD: Gigabyte Z370P D3
PSU: Evga 650w  OS: Win 10 Pro

Are you kidding me? I bet you in 30 years' time, real airliners will probably have an XBox-style controller in the cockpit, after all, several airliners have trackballs in them because they were the hot new controller type at the time they were developed.

However, you are aware that you can control an XBox with a mouse and keyboard are you not? So even if you do get an XBox, you can still use it without a joypad controller, although in fact having a joypad controller on your PC is quite useful for some things, notably Euro Truck Simulator.

Several of the most popular XBox games, including Fortnite and Call of Duty - not that I care about those personally - can use a mouse and keyboard for controlling them. But even if that were not so, with an XBox controller - not my favourite method for controlling stuff, especially shooters, where a mouse is way more intuitive and quicker - you can steer stuff pretty well given the popularity of racing games on that platform. More to the point though, since you can use a joypad to move a cursor in the same way you can do move it with a mouse, it is entirely possible to make a full-featured simulated aeroplane which could be controlled with an XBox controller even if you couldn't get a mouse or keyboard for an XBox, which of course you can as the link above shows.

And I'm inclined to think more and more people will get a mouse and a keyboard for their XBox, since they are more than mere game consoles, being capable of much more than simply running games. Then an XBox will basically be a PC in a sealed unit, which will be a good thing because being a sealed unit will protect it from the flow of tears emanating from those flight simmers who are upset about their exclusive world of toy planes daring to be entered by young upstarts who haven't served their time tweaking ten iterations of MS Flight Sim in an effort to get a frame rate which approached double figures whilst not looking like the terrain was made out of Lego. The kind of new blood who quite rightly don't give a cr@p about any self-appointed reverence some old fart flight simmers think ought to be bestowed upon them.

• Like 22
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

You have too many Freewares  and Liveries and mods and aircraft. you have to remove them and try does it still have problems, only then blame MSFS

• Like 3

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

43 minutes ago, Tom Wright said:

Wait til he discovers that you can play Xplane and P3D with an Xbox controller too!

There will be no RealSims left to run to...

FSX Too!

And Aerofly.

And War Thunder, And IL2, and DCS and........

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5