Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

What other games/sims are you guys playing?

The aging ARMA 3 multiplayer still has a large following. I originally got in for the flying. Has jets, but I'm not a button-pusher, so I fly only the helicopters. Even on "standard" mode the flight physics feel very convincing. Put it into "advanced" flight mode and you will be hard put to find a more accurate Helo flight model anywhere. For pure low-n-slow stick-and-rudder flying I have yet to find anything it's equal. The superlative and absolutely convincing 3D maps are a big part of the experience. The massive editor allows you to create your own environment or modify the existing maps, and allows you to fly off-line with zero lag. ARMA has such a massive gear-laden sandbox to play in that you can easily be entertained for years.I think it's the great "unknown" flight sim.

• Upvote 1

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

16 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

I would love to try the latest 5.2 in VR, but I can't see putting another penny into a new P3D license and any addons.

Well we all have our valid motives to choose what works the best for you personal local, just enjoy in whatever you are simulating aviation with this wonderful hobby 😉

Edited by awf

André

8 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

😄

Quick time event when you lose partially the control of the Witcher to perform some tasks. I am bad at that and find it irritating.  And I was not hooked by the story. RDR2 I wait for a sale, as buying a game is a hit or miss, I tend to buy them when they are under 15 Euros. 

Ah I see. I can‘t remember coming across such QTEs in the Witcher III. RDR2 is really worth it, very atmospheric and I quite liked the story and the characters.

Edited by Shack95

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

11 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Looks like I need to get into Red Dead Redemption 2 and The Hunter: COTW now. Maybe even some of the Euro/American Truck Simulator stuff. This on top of running a championship with two buddies from Australia in F1 2021. 

Good Lord, yes COTW is pure digital therapy. High volume to hear the atmospherics and a cup of coffee and you have escapism manifest. 

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Just now, Shack95 said:

Ah I see. I can‘t remember coming across such QTEs in the Witcher III. RDR2 is really worth it, very atmospheric and I quite liked the story as well.

I have W2 Assassins of Kings, maybe the 3rd installement has not QTE anymore.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, Bosco19 said:

The aging ARMA 3 multiplayer still has a large following. 

Ooh.. I used to love Milsims. Delta Force from the 90's and then the first Operation Flashpoint has taken a number of hours of my life as a teen.. Still to this day I remember (not without a slight feeling of annoyance) how the tank AI (in Operation Flashpoint) could spot me lying down in a bush 200meters away and one-shot me (no spotter; everyone hunkered down in the tank) the second the turret turned my way.

EDIT: By one-shot I don't mean the cannon turret. I mean the machine gunner. Hitting me with the first round. Lots of "word not allowed" were shouted. 

Edited by Swe_Richard
Forgot something.
  • Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Alien: Isolation is another really good creepy game. Scary stuff. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Does DCS have a high learning curve? Downloaded it and after getting into the sim the controls weren't working properly?

Edited by Flyfaster_MTN002

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

I'm playing DCS and still playing MSFS2004 on my laptop because FS2020 is still lacking features that would make the game better like seasons,helicopters and sailplanes and custom user defined weather settings among other things.And i have plenty of other games for my Xbox one including War Thunder and No Man's Sky.

11 hours ago, Rockliffe said:

I know shooter gaming is not the greatest example for our younger generation and is probably not so well accepted by some, but I've been hooked on Sniper Elite 4 multiplayer since the start of the pandemic. At the end of the day it's a game and great fun.There are about a dozen maps, some lend themselves more to close combat, such as urban conflict, while othe rmaps lend themselves more to covert hidden gameplay using sniper skills across dock areas or rural villages. I had no idea playing with others in a team, real time, with voice comms could be such fantastic fun! Funny thing is, while there are quite a few regular youngsters, there are also some older fellas, in their sixties, like myself! BTW, the graphics and degree of realism in this game is stunning. So if you fancy checking out Sniper Elite 4, drop me a PM and we can meet up and I'll walk you through things. :biggrin: 

There is a community Bush Flight tonight,  if anyone is interested.  2300 UTC

Discord is used for communications,  but it's not a requirement.

The discord server is run by an FS20 buddy of mine,  GunPilot.   He's an Aussie, and a retired bush pilot.  Really good guy.   It's a good group of people from all around the globe,  from gamers to aviation professionals.  We have a several CFI's,  and a RL 787 driver.

Wide age spread.  All welcome.    Mostly bush flights,  mostly in the Caravan.   (But any aircraft than can keep up with the Caravan is fine).    

We fly on the Southeast Asia server because it's lag free,  for the most people.   Download the flight plan from the discord thread,  and spawn at the departure airport at least 10-15 minutes prior to departure. Spawn,  exit the runway,   form up.   Usually around 35 people will show up for the average Friday,  but there have been more.

Here is a link to this week's event,  https://discord.com/channels/780018927731474462/780677151355437097/872648405183242308

Here is an invitation link to the discord community,  anyone feel free.  Link will be valid for 7 days.  https://discord.gg/GWmTn3Ac

When: Friday 6th August @ 2300 UTC

Where: Uzbekistan Flight

Duration: Approx 3hrs (depending on numbers attending)

Aircraft: Cessna Grand Caravan (as always as flight planned around Caravan performance)

Server: SOUTH EAST ASIA

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/rpsHtJXy74 1 (click on “#gunpilots-events”)

Voice Chat accessed by clicking on Comms Radio

RECOMMENDATIONS: Cessna Caravan as all landing and other challenges built into flight are tailored for this aircraft specifically.   Turn Damage mode off as you will most likely suffer at least hard landings if not full on crashes.  Bring plenty of Duc Tape for running repairs Crash Helmets are optional, Prayers are advisable Embrace “SLEW” as it will be your friend by the end of the flight.  Practicing to make Caravan landing approaches at IAS of between 40-50knts max will see you nailing difficult landings with ease and precision.

Make it easy on yourself to navigate around the route and accurately pinpoint the exact landing areas by downloading and using the free “LittleNavMap” s/w you can get on the web - you will never open the standard sim VFR Map again once you have tried this fantastic app that integrates seamlessly with MSFS2020.

Edited by Waldo Pepper

9 hours ago, March Hare said:

Darn it. I keep forgetting to check the Epic games store. I would have got that one.

Again, I don't actually have time to play much at all, but nothing stops me filling my library -- for a rainy day. A rainy day in a different life, where I don't have a job, getting a career off the ground in my "spare" time, a family, a house to look after...

This is why I've been playing Switch games more, like Mario. Pick-up-and-play-and-put-down-again-after-ten-minutes classics. I have games like Death Stranding on the go, that I get back round to every so many weeks or even months. Death Stranding is a tough one, because it still has the epic Kojima cutscenes. I think last time I loaded it up, I walked a short distance, triggered a 30-ish-minute story cutscene, then it was time to shut down again haha

Log in to your Epic account in your phones browser and then you can easily check whats coming or whats free at the moment. Im sure other good games will come along.

I have a bit of love hate thing with Kojimas games. On the one hand a game like MGSPP I love the enemy AI and the gunplay but hate all the supernatural stuff. I know its a hallmark of the series but after a realistic gunfight with Russian troops all the floaty ghosty stuff was a complete turn off and made me uninstall. 

I hate cut scenes! I always skip them and its annoying when some games dont let you do that. I think Far Cry 4 was like that. 

I can appreciate that with busy family life its impossible to have long sessions. Switch is ideal and now we got Steam Deck on the way so you could get one of those and play your fav PC games anywhere!

• Like 1

Tropico 6

Just Cause 4

American Truck Simulator

Assetto Corsa

Cities Skylines

Until we have a good traffic program, MSFS has lost it's excitement.

Civilization 6

The Division 2

Transport Fever 2

(A question here, what is the shortcut in MSFS that brings up the bar with the weather data and such?)

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

7 hours ago, RobJC said:

I have thought about getting this more than a few times.

You can download the full manual at the Matrix forums and there are very good Let’s Plays from Strategy Gaming Dojo on Youtube.

It is a very complex and challenging game and you have to make a lot of decisions in each turn, but if you like micromanaging (you can set some AI automations), and you are interested in WW2 Operation Barbarossa (you can play this according to history), and you have a lot of free time😁, the game can be a very pleasent experience!

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

To all the people suggesting Civ 6... have you not tried Civ 5? I kind of like that one better. Less cartoony graphics. 

Richard