Sign in to follow this  
NightOfDreams

Confused on MS Store update process

Abramns_Tank! Thank you! 

What would we do without the help we get from other users here on Avsim. Certainly no use looking to Microsoft for help!!!

Baz

• Like 5

Barry Wells

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I read your post and 2 minutes later installed the Xbox App.  Is that what you call "For hours">>>>>

You are very welcome.. 😉

Bert

The Monkeys must have flipped a couple switches as I was able to update from the store now.

• Like 1

Ther next thing to do , is turn off all the auto settings in the new X box app; like launching automatically, letting it run in background, etc. etc. I unchecked everything. 

• Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Before I start any WU or SU , I first check Avsim or MS forums for any threads on any issues with the given update . Saves a lot of time and frustration , just my 2 cents . 

Edited by johnbow72
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, timbit said:

This Sim is starting tp confirm we live in the golden age of stupidity.

You're correct.  It is clear that many people are tripped up having to load a little app that takes 2 minutes to install.  It seems like its just a bridge too far for some, like having "too many buttons on the VCR remote"

... oh wait, thats not what you meant? sorry.

19 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

You're correct.  It is clear that many people are tripped up having to load a little app that takes 2 minutes to install.  It seems like its just a bridge too far for some, like having "too many buttons on the VCR remote"

How 'bout we had no flippin idea at all that an XBox app is now needed for updates despite not being needed for the last dozen updates??? I guess I should have intuitively known that like through ESP or something, or if not that makes me stupid.

Edited by NightOfDreams
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, NightOfDreams said:

How 'bout we had no flippin idea at all that an XBox app is now needed for updates despite not being needed for the last dozen updates??? I guess I should have intuitively known that like through ESP or something, or if not that makes me stupid.

Guess you can't read minds , and either can I.....

20 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

What tripped people up is not knowing how this update differed from all previous updates, and required a step that was not told to us. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

It's sad to see how a "simple update" function when loading the sim turns into a nightmare for many of us.This thing about being forced to go the "store" and then to be totally confused between the many Microsoft updates that are forced on you if you click "get updates" as well as Microsoft getting lost between the term " launch", "install", "play" and whatever else they think of. Oh, and let's not forget that my products consist of a "digital flight simulator" and a "standard simulator", both of which are asking me to launch. What a mess. Sorry to have to unload.

In the process, I lost my browser and now I think it's time to pause until I regain my sanity.

tc

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

Guess you can't read minds , and either can I.....

What tripped people up is not knowing how this update differed from all previous updates, and required a step that was not told to us. 

Yes that's fair - sounds like Asobo didnt know it would be required either - issue with the Marketplace.  They should post a sticky PSA on the main forums about it for sure.

That said, the sane reaction would be to acknowledge the workaround, give a little shrug, install it and be on your way.  Its the "I'm not installing THAT thing" on my machine reaction, like its some sort of toxic grenade, just because its name rhymes with a well known game console... that's what is a little over the top to me.

1 minute ago, VFXSimmer said:

Yes that's fair - sounds like Asobo didnt know it would be required either - issue with the Marketplace.  They should post a sticky PSA on the main forums about it for sure.

That said, the sane reaction would be to acknowledge the workaround, give a little shrug, install it and be on your way.  Its the "I'm not installing THAT thing" on my machine reaction, like its some sort of toxic grenade, just because its name rhymes with a well known game console... that's what is a little over the top to me.

You would think at least one person at Asobo, would have run into this when they tried installing the update, but I guess that is asking way too much. 

• Like 1

What an absolute convoluted mess!  Could they at least have warned about this in the update release we all enjoy reading?  I just lost 90 minutes in this loop because I did not see this topic.  And the way I finally found the update is not likely something I will recall how to find in the future.  It was a result of playing what-if with all of the suggestions! 

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

30 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Great words from VFXSimmer. 

Also keep in mind...

The update process is definitely not smooth - so I'm not excusing Microsoft in anyway - but I note most people here consider "X-BOX" to mean a hardware gaming machine. X-BOX is the overarching brand/concept name for Microsoft's gaming business - so even if you don't own a Microsoft X-Box Console (Gaming Machine) you are still within the X-Box ecosystem.

So it may help if when we see the word "X-BOX" - we don't automatically always assume it is referring to a box next to a TV (which you may or not own). 

Edited by mfahey
Typo

6 minutes ago, fppilot said:

It was a result of playing what-if with all of the suggestions! 

That is the value of this forum 🙂

• Like 2

Bert