Sign in to follow this  
NightOfDreams

Confused on MS Store update process

Add my name to the list of people suffering this insanity. However ...

... 1,000 thanks to Avsim and its contributors that flagged the issue and posted workarounds 👍. Signing out and back in and also doing the suggested time synchronisation thing worked for me.

• Like 1

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

I've downloaded the Xbox App and the sign in email for that is using the same as the purchase from MS.

On the MS Store I have a 'Microsoft Flight Simulator' update of 509.8 MB - is this it? Or am I downloading a fresh MSFS for an Xbox I don't possess.

Pee up in brewery doesn't come close!

Wow what a WORDNOTALLOWED show !!!

I already had the app but I cannot sign in. There is a banner saying click to fix errors and it opens a page with a spinning X-Box symbol and does nothing.

Not sure where to go from here but pretty fed up right now 😒

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

3 hours ago, NightOfDreams said:

I had the same problem. Log off MS Store and log in using the same email address as your Xbox App.

If you dont have Xbox App you have to download it. 

Then try the same thing as your picture in the MS Store. 

Yes, I did that and it didn´t work. 

And yes, I read Mr abrams_tank´s first post.  I've downloaded the Xbox App and sign in email for that is using the same as the purchase from MS, but still no 'Microsoft Flight Simulator' listed (Downloads and updates).

Hamilton Müller

5 minutes ago, RJC68 said:

Wow what a WORDNOTALLOWED show !!!

I already had the app but I cannot sign in. There is a banner saying click to fix errors and it opens a page with a spinning X-Box symbol and does nothing.

Not sure where to go from here but pretty fed up right now 😒

OK I got it working,

Even though I couldn't sign in to the X-Box App there was a MSFS 2020 shortcut to the left, I clicked on it and then the sim started and told me to update through the store. This time it was there.

What a complete and utter fiasco. Funny thing is I deliberately fired up the sim when I got up this morning to avoid the update first thing as I planned to fly all day and I had 3 wonderful flights in the A32NX.

Then this debacle.

As many have said thank you so much to all of those who helped us in the right direction. 

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

Installing the Xbox app worked for me...thanks MS for being clear as mud. 

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

55 minutes ago, Hamilton_ said:

Yes, I did that and it didn´t work. 

And yes, I read Mr abrams_tank´s first post.  I've downloaded the Xbox App and sign in email for that is using the same as the purchase from MS, but still no 'Microsoft Flight Simulator' listed (Downloads and updates).

If I recall, Microsoft Flight Simulator didn't show up initially in the Microsoft Store's "Downloads and updates" screen. I clicked around a bit and found it under "All owned" on the left side, or one of those options under My Library. Then I clicked various blue buttons on the right side of the MSFS icon.

I'm not really sure what I did, as I was raging because of the time being wasted on something that shouldn't take any effort from the end user. I was clicking everywhere and somehow it worked.

Edited by NightOfDreams

Its poetically ironic how the same people that have an issue when the sim doesn’t include every step of a cold and dark startup procedure, and doesn’t model every nuance of system failures & shutdown procedures (in other words keeping the sim as complex as possible), that insist that It require weeks/months of personal independent study to even think of mastering it … are then flummoxed that the sim doesn’t update with a single button push.

If everyone treated it with the same problem solving fervor that you give to a stuck high pressure bipass valve, you'ld think the tinkerers here would actually find some unexpected pleasure when they finally finish the update and start up the sim.

Just sayin 😉

Edited by VFXSimmer
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

Its poetically ironic how the same people that have an issue when the sim doesn’t include every step of a cold and dark startup procedure, and doesn’t model every nuance of system failures & shutdown procedures (in other words keeping the sim as complex as possible), that insist that It require weeks/months of personal independent study to even think of mastering it … are then flummoxed that the sim doesn’t update with a single button push.

I'm so disappointed.

Went for a flight this morning and all was well. Shut down the sim for a bit. Started it again this afternoon and it got to the "Installation Manager" screen and was informed that a mandatory update was ready. Checked that the path was still pointing to G:\Flightsim and pressed the button. 15 minutes later I was at the main screen. Went and "bought" the World Update, but only did a "Get", not a "Get and Download". Went to the Content Manager, selected everything that had an update available, plus the World Update (but not all the Liveries that I previously uninstalled), clicked the button and 20 minutes later was ready to check my settings and then go fly. And I didn't even remove anything from my Community folder.

Did my usual test flight (CYOW with Roman's add on, to CYUL with another add on) and no issues.

Dang it, I so wanted to join all the complainers. Not.

...jim

PS. Forgot to mention I'm using the Steam version. <grin>

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

31 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

With the greatest respect, even Einstein wouldn't be able to solve this one.

As I see it, all users that don't have the additional XBox *APP* installed will get this problem. We already have a fair of XBox-related bloatware on our Windows PCs - and SU5 was running fine. Nowhere in the process does it tell you that you need to add this app. I only found out via this thread (thanks to all).

• Like 2

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

1 minute ago, Adamski_NZ said:

With the greatest respect, even Einstein wouldn't be able to solve this one.

As I see it, all users that don't have the additional XBox *APP* installed will get this problem. We already have a fair of XBox-related bloatware on our Windows PCs - and SU5 was running fine. Nowhere in the process does it tell you that you need to add this app. I only found out via this thread (thanks to all).

I think Einstein would have been fine, but I heard he was more of a Flight Unlimited II guy..

Yes, Avsim and the official forums did save the day (and did it within the first 10 minutes)...

So I'm guessing you avoid any addon that requires an installer, or a helper app (like PMDG)?  I get it, that the need for an additional app wasn't immediately forthcoming.. but I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that even if they DID advertise it ahead of time, it still would have been an issue because the name of the app rhymes with xbox?  Xbox.app = "bloatware", PMDG.app = "acceptable additional step because, reasons"?

What a PITA this was.  The previous update V I didn't need the MS Xbox App. Just click on the MSFS icon and boom..Update here!   Well, if I didn't come here to this thread I still would have been searching google for an answer.  oh boy, what a mess this update was. There's got to be a better way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VFXSimmer said:

If everyone treated it with the same problem solving fervor that you give to a stuck high pressure bipass valve, you'ld think the tinkerers here would actually find some unexpected pleasure when they finally finish the update and start up the sim.

Just sayin 😉

You're trolling at this point or a Microsoft shill. I had other stuff to do this afternoon and I wanted MSFS updated ASAP so I could play tonight and not wait for the update to download (just had a very enjoyable flight). There is nothing remotely satisfying or fun about trying Xbox this or Nintendo app that to get the game to run. I've never had such issues updating games before and I don't find it fun to waste my time trying this and that when I should be able to click "Update Now" and have it Update Now. 

Of course it doesn't matter because Microsoft will do what Microsoft does without a care about what's typed here, but we can still use this outlet to vent this absurdity. 

Edited by NightOfDreams
  • Like 1

Does anyone here ever break their house plumbing or car engine on purpose for the challenge of fixing it? Wait in line at the DMV for the challenge of testing your patience? Get a root canal for fun to challenge your pain tolerance? If not you'd think the tinkerers here would actually find some unexpected pleasure when they finally finish these tasks.

1 hour ago, VFXSimmer said:

Just sayin 😉

Well we'd rather be flying not upgrading.

It's one thing to be versed in procedures, checklists, and so forth, but it's an entirely different ball o wax to maneuver ones way through the update process for MSFS.  I'd say most of us reading this have a lot of experience in the former, but the latter was a new thing.   Perhaps, when there is a SU7, there will be much less gnashing of teeth, and social commentary of dubious use as to the upgrade topic.  Assuming they don't change the update procedure yet again.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB