Sign in to follow this  
Malc

Update

Unable to launch, update needed, click ok nothing happens just a sales page appears, no instructions on what to do, what a mess up !! Just HOW do you get to make the " word not allowedupdate " to work ?

what  version  steam  or   Microsoft ?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

In the Microsoft Store search for "Xbox app". Download and install and you should be good to go. Will now recognize the update.

• Like 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

38 minutes ago, Twenty6 said:

In the Microsoft Store search for "Xbox app". Download and install and you should be good to go. Will now recognize the update.

But I do not want x box app I want it to update on my PC 

You need to otherwise no update

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

1 minute ago, Malc said:

You still have to go through this process. If you want to you can delete the app after the update, but I expect you will need to reinstall the Xbox app for the next update. Microsoft cares not whether you have a PC or Xbox!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc said:

The xBox app is an xBox app for the PC, not an xBox app for xBox.  It appears it now needs to be on your PC in order to provide a gateway for updates.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 hours ago, Malc said:

Download the XBox app for PC. Run the XBox app and then you will be able to download the update.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

54 minutes ago, fppilot said:

It appears it now needs to be on your PC in order to provide a gateway for updates.

It's just a workaround for people who can't get the update to work through the store app.

There are people, like my father a couple friends were able to update without the X-Box app. It's weird.

Edited by Tuskin38
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As many have stated, the official statement is that the need for the xbox app is a temporary workaround to an issue in the Microsoft Store.  Time will tell if this is indeed temporary.  For what its worth, many have already attested that you can delete the app once the sim has been updated.

That said, even if it were to become a permanent requirement to MS Store purcahsers, the xbox app itself is really no different than the steam app in what it actually does.  I've read posts of people taking issue with "bloatware" - sure its a minor annoyance - but its not really that big of a deal.  You can easily turn off its autorun on startup and its notification pop ups.  I actually installed this way back in Aug last year on the initial launch day and have never had an issue with updating since.

I think some of the teeth gnashig is the name of the app itself.  Installing "xbox" leads some to think they are admitting to being part of the gaming world that they want no part of.  I understand why many would feel this way, I would just argue that the fight not to install the xbox app in this case isnt really the hill worth dying on in pursuit of that sentiment.  Its just an install app, and it does help you spend less time fiddling with the awkward MSFS update process and get back to simming faster which is all we're really after anyway, isnt it? 🙂

• Like 3

Just to say thanks everyone, update downloading right now. Where would I have been without this forum ? I would have never known how to do it. Many thanks from a 74 year old flyer. Love my flight Sim.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, VFXSimmer said:

As many have stated, the official statement is that the need for the xbox app is a temporary workaround to an issue in the Microsoft Store.  Time will tell if this is indeed temporary.  For what its worth, many have already attested that you can delete the app once the sim has been updated.

That said, even if it were to become a permanent requirement to MS Store purcahsers, the xbox app itself is really no different than the steam app in what it actually does.  I've read posts of people taking issue with "bloatware" - sure its a minor annoyance - but its not really that big of a deal.  You can easily turn off its autorun on startup and its notification pop ups.  I actually installed this way back in Aug last year on the initial launch day and have never had an issue with updating since.

I think some of the teeth gnashig is the name of the app itself.  Installing "xbox" leads some to think they are admitting to being part of the gaming world that they want no part of.  I understand why many would feel this way, I would just argue that the fight not to install the xbox app in this case isnt really the hill worth dying on in pursuit of that sentiment.  Its just an install app, and it does help you spend less time fiddling with the awkward MSFS update process and get back to simming faster which is all we're really after anyway, isnt it? 🙂

Many thanks for your great information, now downloading 😀

14 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Download the XBox app for PC. Run the XBox app and then you will be able to download the update.

Thanks it's now downloading, thanks you very much for your help 👍

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Malc said:

Thanks it's now downloading, thanks you very much for your help 👍

You might need to click on 'search for updates' or something like that from within the xbox app to get it to launch the marketplace app and start downloading.  I had to do this on mine as it still didn't do anything to start with.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.