Sign in to follow this  
mikegrr

Why do developers work on the inside of airports?

14 minutes ago, Manny said:

You want to walk Around a Huge Airport! HA HA HA! I love the prsent Setup, you can crawl or you can Run fast, or you can  buzz on an invisible chopper,. You can be at 6' or 300' or 1 Mile high!

It can do everything if you are creative! All programmed with  your Joystick.

Sure, if it's modeled meticulously well and very high detailed. Why wouldn't I want to explore?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

16 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Sure, if it's modeled meticulously well and very high detailed. Why wouldn't I want to explore?

You can do that now! and more!

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

On 9/20/2021 at 5:22 PM, mikegrr said:

So, we could integrate Simcity, Forza, and MSFS and you would have a whole virtual world. Add a virtual dating app and what's left?

Microsoft Bob, of course, updated for Win11.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

I often work at Shellharbour airport ( YSHL ) in N.S.W Australia.

YSHL is the home of the Historical Aviation Restoration Society ( HARS ) and they have a massive complex and numerous aircraft either restored and flying or under restoration. these include DC3's, Lockheed Constellation, Neptune, Convair 440, Catalina, Orion, Drover ,F111, Mirage, F27, DC4, etc etc.... it goes on and on....

i have often wondered how good it would be if you could land there ( ORBX had a version of YSHL ), and then do a virtual tour of the vintage aircraft display. It could also serve as  a fund raiser for HARS.  

Temora also have a wonderful museum of flying military aircraft of Hudson, Sabre, Spitfires, Boomerang, Meteor, Wirraway, Dragonfly, etc. 

Edited by petejohno1
  • Like 1

Yes, this sort of stuff reminds me of the Orbis Flying Hospital plane that MSFS modeled. Where you can walk around and look at everything as if you're virtually there. Things like this would be great to have in MSFS. Which is why I am growing my appreciation towards those scenery developers that go the extra mile to model the interiors as well. They have done even better than that but also modeled exterior with interesting objects that actually belong there in real life for you to see as well.

• Like 2

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I don't really care nor have the time to read the last 5 pages, but for the record, I love modelled airport interiors.

• Like 1

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

54 minutes ago, petejohno1 said:

I often work at Shellharbour airport ( YSHL ) in N.S.W Australia.

YSHL is the home of the Historical Aviation Restoration Society ( HARS ) and they have a massive complex and numerous aircraft either restored and flying or under restoration. these include DC3's, Lockheed Constellation, Neptune, Convair 440, Catalina, Orion, Drover ,F111, Mirage, F27, DC4, etc etc.... it goes on and on....

i have often wondered how good it would be if you could land there ( ORBX had a version of YSHL ), and then do a virtual tour of the vintage aircraft display. It could also serve as  a fund raiser for HARS.  

Temora also have a wonderful museum of flying military aircraft of Hudson, Sabre, Spitfires, Boomerang, Meteor, Wirraway, Dragonfly, etc. 

No reason why not.

There is a freeware version of NZOM Omaka that features the Omaka Heritage Aviation centre and has quite a few of the historic collection scattered randomly around the airfield:

https://flightsim.to/file/19387/nzom-omaka-aerodrome-upgrade

The aircraft seem to have come from here:

https://flightsim.to/file/18392/vintage-aircraft-collector-library-v-1-0

nzom-omaka-aerodrome-upgrade-fvGBF.jpg

nzom-omaka-aerodrome-upgrade-vkQNE.jpg?w

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

I'm glad you folks have so much time to look around. When I start MSFS i start the engine and go flying, Only so much time I can spend in the sim.

18 minutes ago, mikegrr said:

I'm glad you folks have so much time to look around. When I start MSFS i start the engine and go flying, Only so much time I can spend in the sim.

Fair enough. But in that case why spend money on airports at all ? Just buy aircraft.

Good point, I guess I spend time flying around airports, not in them. I now see that lots of folks like the interiors. So I'm not judgeing anyone really, just my opinion.

De gustibus non est disputandum
No accounting for taste

I totally feel that MSFS' successor in 15 years will be a true Second Life World Simulator. 

It will be a ultra high detail 1:1 world. Embedded into it will be a flight sim, car sim, truck sim, train sim, boat sim, building sim and ship sim. 

Your ship sim friend can command a massive freighter which will dock in LA. 

Your truck sim buddy will drive the cargo to LAX  - where your cargo 747-8 is waiting.

Meanwhile you're at home, get in your car and drive on a hyper realistic freeway with realistic car physics to the employee parking lot at the airport, sign in. Go to the weather briefing room with displays linked to real-world weather. Outside you see the giant 747-8 youll be flying to Germany. 

Meanwhile a train simmer is on her way to Denver hauling a huge line of freight cars - she waves to friends  flying over her in a fleet of  Carbon Cubs.

You're on your boat in a high mountain lake fishing and you see those Carbon Cubs land at the airstrip on the lakeside. Your meetup has begun. In the distance you hear a train air horn - your friend passing by on her way to Colorado. 

All this will be seamless. You can drive your Merc to the local airport, right up to your Global Express, get in it, fly to Taiwan, arrive in Taipei, take command of a train and tootle off into the countryside.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mikegrr said:

The thing is, before msfs, most times, there really wasn't all that much to even see at the vast majority of airports.

I think as a general rule, and with not all that many exceptions, it seemed we were doing well just getting detailed airports with something approaching an acceptable frame rate

Dense grass, moving people, trees waving in the wind, worldwide ambient sound, realistic lighting, 3d clouds....

(The list goes on)

Were usually rare and occasional addon treats.

This is pretty much the first time in years that modern-day gaming-level graphics has become ubiquitous in a civilian sim, and subsequently the first time the scenery in such a sim, on a wide scale, has become really worth actually exploring in depth.

The places we go now actually seem like honestly unique regional locations!

Our acceptance of, and eventual widespread presumptions of that level of detail as the new default (and the implications to third parties of the bar being raised to that level) remains to be seen.

But I think it's something we are very quickly going to get accustomed to.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

9 hours ago, captain420 said:

That's not really what I was talking about. Sure you can use that or the drone to accomplish it but it's not immersive. A first person or 3rd person mode where you can see your character walking is what I'm talking about.

I've asked ORBX about a new modern version of BOB for MSFS and the answer was pretty much NO... use the drone camera.

No worries a first person/3rd person avatar will emerge from someone eventually.

Edited by blueshark747
  • Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

5 hours ago, mikegrr said:

5 hours ago, mikegrr said:

"Temora also have a wonderful museum"

says it all: gamers of different age. from 8 to 80, from school boy to retired. a good game is one that caters for all. MSFS does it.

• Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.