Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

For the next time the "sim or game" debate is raised :)

This video means nothing.

My airliner friend was over once and flew the 747 under the golden gate - because he could.  You can do similar things in level D simulators.  It doesn't make it less of a simulation.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, WestAir said:

When I was a CFI my coworker had a 14 year old student who landed the plane without his input on the second touch n go. She needed a booster seat to see over the panel.

My old company worked with a local middle school and let 4 classes of kids mess around in the Level D A320 Family sim. A few of these pre teens landed in PHX just fine.

Flying is easy.

During my flight-training in the early 70's, one of my instructor said: "Basic flying is easy - I can teach a monkey to fly, even land.  The problems occur when they would have to navigate on their own, make proper decisions under changing conditions, make a cross-wind landing when the winds are strong, etc.  They wouldn't survive."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Randall Rocke

1 hour ago, Krakin said:

So you're knocking the sim because you have some skill? Have you visited the Kodiak threads recently? Because I see a lot of folks in there asking for help with flying the thing since it's characteristics are so realistic.

All the non pilot experts on forums, always talk about the lack of realism in flight sims, but when they run into an aircraft like the Kodiak, or the A2A Texan, or the PMDG  DC6, they complain that they are   too squirrely or have problems with their flght models. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If trying to fly in the sim really were as difficult as real life, I doubt any of the sims would have sold more than a few hundred copies.

Or at least, I assume so, never having piloted anything in real life (and never had any desire to, either).

Looking forward to landing my new F-35 in all sorts of unacceptable places.

• Like 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

The premise here is that flying a plane in real life is hard - which is to fall into the error of assuming the thing that needs to be proved 🤓 

As others in this thread have mentioned, flying an aeroplane is not intrinsically difficult. What makes it “difficult” is the multitude of things that can go wrong and the need for consistent and attentive precision. 

• Like 4

I thought it was a great landing, well done.

- Jens Peter "Penz" Pedersen

55 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

Yeah, in fact I wrote in the past that IMHO all of them are just computer games. Calling them simulators looks like an attempt to justify to our wives (and ourselves) why, at 40+ yo we are still gaming 🙂

I doubt that a 747 can stop in 650 m... also, wasn't it supposed to stall and fall into the water at  less than 100 knots?

Instead it continued to climb for many seconds between 100 and 90 knots (look between 0:37 and 0:45).

Come on, I am not saying I expect MSFS to be a real simulator, but certain basic numeric parameters of the flight model should be respected.

image.png

Back in days trained in full motion sim of AN-124 in Antonov company. Among others one of emergency scenario included emergency landing with full load on relatively short strip. In real life  similar scenario assumed that after  emergency braking the tired would blow up.

Well, I was stunned how short massive airplane like that can stop with all breaking assents. So the only problem with  similar situation emergency landing on short runway like that would be ability of runway itself to bear heavy airplane's weight !

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

"Flying" in real life is much easier, navigation is actually pretty easy with an iPad, Foreflight, ADS-B (pretty hard to get lost or be at the wrong place at the wrong altitude) ... managing the checklists and millions of rules and regulations we're expected to know and fluid ATC interaction is another matter.  ATC interaction has always been my biggest weakness ... say again, say again ... sadly my hearing is not so good and even noise cancelling BOSE headset can't help me ... it was a short stint in my dabble with flight.

Cheers, Rob.

You should try single pilot IFR in IMC without GPS and autopilot. By far it's the hardest thing I have done up to date

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 177B said:

Some people see life as a game😃.

Doing dark night landings in real life always struck me a s a video game, with big consequences. Especially at small rural airports w/o   vasi or papi's. You have very little feeling of where you are, you just judge by the angle of the 2 rows of lights, the rest of your field of view is just black on a moonless night with no other lights than the beacon and runway lights, and then your landing light the last hundred feet or so before touchdown. You scan for eyeballs reflecting from deer, or bigger game on the runway.

I always feel I am in a game landing like that. Not too different from early pong games. So far I have always walked away...

Never have had this RL experience.  However thx to some FBW or MS bug a couple of weeks ago I was forced into landing by hand in St. Petersburg in a snowstorm at night.  After catching the near crash and going around to fly it by hand I can only imagine the pucker factor of doing that in RL....The adrenaline was flowing sure as word not allowed, simulator or not.  Landing in RL during the day in a C152 at regional and international fields is totally different (although equally potentially fatal if mishandled), so far that is all that my wallet had enabled my RL experience to consist of.

4 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

You should try single pilot IFR in IMC without GPS and autopilot. By far it's the hardest thing I have done up to date

Yeah. Honestly I find single pilot IFR in IMC in MSFS to be a bit harder than in real life because it's 2D with smaller FoV.

I also find landing / take-off harder in MSFS than real life, but that sort of goes counter to the statements made in the OP.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

11 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

Just flying at night can be pretty scary for a new private pilot. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Yeah. Honestly I find single pilot IFR in IMC in MSFS to be a bit harder than in real life because it's 2D with smaller FoV.

I also find landing / take-off harder in MSFS than real life, but that sort of goes counter to the statements made in the OP.

Now you know how I feel flying on right seat looking at gauges on the left LOL Jokes aside. When I got my IR I was challenging myself flying instrument a lot. Flying in and our marine layer was pretty easy things to do. However, once I got stuck with bad weather flying around rocky terrain dealing with wind gusts and turbulence. I remember franticly  dialing cross radials while been literally pored by cold water sipping through door insulation. Psychological pressure was tremendous,  brain stalled all the time! 

After that I experience in similar situations I preferred to take flying buddy with me. CRM in full glory! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think I get the same feeling in game/sim as well as in real life. Probably the most rewarding is instrument flying. Especially getting on top or coming back hope through  the clouds

beech11.jpg

IMG_2601.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

A 747 at Saba?  Meh, I’ll show you all and land a fighter there!  I mean it will be the F-35B in STOVL mode but whatever 😁

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, sd_flyer said:

Did you have VOR / DME / NDB available?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB