Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

For the next time the "sim or game" debate is raised :)

Upon review, that looks like a Vmc event anyway, more than a classic departure from controlled flight.  It's caused by a failure to manage airspeed to maintain sufficient rudder authority to overcome the yaw induced by differential thrust following an engine failure. 

There's a saying about light twins like this: "the second engine takes you to the scene of the accident."  Depending on loading, these types of planes are often unable to maintain altitude single-engine.  Following an engine failure, pilots often unconsciously pitch up in an effort to maintain altitude until they get slow enough to lose control - well before reaching stall AoA.

Edited by Stearmandriver

Andrew Crowley

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

You should have noticed airspeed was not alive in plenty of time to abort takeoff, like 40 knots. 

My big mistake was a bad pre flight walk around. I learned from that.

By the time I noticed, I can't remember exactly what speed probably 35K or so, I judged it was safer to continue T/O. I think it was the right thing to do, and I am still here to tell about it. It was a short downhill runway.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

8 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

I guess it depends on how one wants to define it.  But in the world of flight training, until MSFS is certified as a simulator on certified hardware by the FAA and/or EASA for use in actual flight training, then it's NOT a simulator.  Maybe MSFS will get certified in the future, but as of today, it's not.

Cheers, Rob.

There are a number of air accidents and personal experiences that I and many others on this forum could probably bring up in regard the GA flying but we might be in danger of wandering off topic a little (as unusual as that might be  /s )  🙂  

I raised some points earlier that, excluding some additional instructional elements and a couple of arcade ...ish addons,  MSFS does not meet the strict criteria to be a called a game but rather it is a tool (focused on the simulation of flight) to be used however one wishes. No one seems to have grossly disputed that.  But, in Robs' assertation above, there is a suggestion that MSFS is not a simulator either!  However, if I might interpret your meaning Rob, I don't think you are suggesting that MSFS is just a game but rather it just doesn't meet the necessary real world standards to be a FAA certified simulator. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

But, some who deride the poor flight models, the cartoonish clouds, the over emphasis on pretty scenery, the Xbox factor etc, might take issue at the ease and lack of realism that a gamester with no previous flying knowledge or experience, real or otherwise, could fly a B747 model upside down 20 feet above the runway, and offer this as evidence that MSFS may not be a game, but it is not a credible simulator either!  So maybe we should rephrase the OP's question?  

If MSFS is not a game, then is it a simulator and if not, what is it? 

Or we could just forget about this thread altogether and go and do some bush wacking, plane spotting, Henrik ship finding, cloud watching, island hopping,  emergency procedure training, St Barts touch and goes, LL fast jet, high level heavy iron, fire fighting, storm chasing, giraffe scaring, reef skimming, float plane spraying, and whole lot of just plain flying, even if it is (heaven forbid) upside down in a B747. 🙂

Cheers

Terry

• Like 2

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

5 minutes ago, Lord Farringdon said:

After 40-odd years of simming, my best shot would be, to cover my back, to say that it is a game which is in the simulator genre and, at the same time, a simulator which can be played as a game. And having flown them all or almost, MSFS is pretty good in both departments. Might even be the best so far if the Microsoft marketing team stops wasting it update after update.

The fact that you could do crazy stuff in any sim, way out of the envelop, is irrelevant to me. I try to fly as recommended in the real world and  when I don’t, it does not end well. 

And do not forget archeological or historical aerial surveys 😉 !  I flew yesterday my Porter in Anatolia over Çatalhöyük, the first human city known to man. A well planned, by the book flight, only possible in MSFS.

• Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

21 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Yes hobby is the thing, even fully trained pilots are having to find another profession too many pilots for too few jobs, even fully trained air force pilots are having to find another job when leaving the services and with drones the air force need less pilots.    

And some time in the future self drive cars and pilotless airliners.

Climbing through FL150.....on departure...

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen (or whatever politically correct salutation you prefer),

Welcome aboard this flight tonight. I am Elon Musk and I'll be your Captain, tonight and from now on every time you fly with Tesla Aviation. This is because, you have the great fortune to experience the privilege, comfort and safety of the worlds first completely automatic flight. With no pilots aboard this aircraft it flies autonomously but is strictly monitored from the ground from where this recorded message is being sent.  We really hope you enjoy this historic flight and we assure you absolutely nothing can go wrong....go wrong.....go wrong....go wrong..........

Edited by Lord Farringdon

No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.

Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower!

Intel (R) Core (TM) i7-10700 CPU @2.90Ghz, 32GB RAM,  NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060, 12GB VRAM, Samsung QN70A 4k 65inch TV with VRR 120Hz Free Sync (G-Sync Compatible). 

Boeing Thrustmaster TCA Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Quadrant, Turtle Beach Velocity One Rudder Pedals.   

3 hours ago, Lord Farringdon said:

Per the FAA, if it were used as part of an approved, loggable training tool the way P3d and Xplane sometimes are, the term is "flight training device."  It will be used this way eventually. 

No desktop software, on a non-motion platform, without flight control feedback, meets the actual definition of "simulator."

• Like 2

Andrew Crowley

11 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

No desktop software, on a non-motion platform, without flight control feedback, meets the actual definition of "simulator."

This 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:23 PM, Rudiii said:

I much prefer the above Serious Simulators which are specifically designed to be Serious Simulators where no one has ever done anything that isn't in the realm of a Serious Simulator.

Remind me, was it MSFS that had an entire years long youtube series from Airforceproud called "Idiots of FSX online"?

I much prefer PSX. Try and land at Saba with it.

If a one-man company can create something that is very close to a simulator, why can't the others?

Maybe to keep things simple for the occasional gamers?

A.

Pixel flying is much different than real life. The fact I can land an airliner on the runway with no instruments and just by eyesight and feel from my living room should easily give that away. But still, its nice to learn the instruments, flight planning, and have that real life feeling. Maybe in some cases landing an airliner can be easier as they don't always crash to desktop on landing.

Capt'n to passengers: "Attention passengers this is you Capt'n speaking., the flight had ended early due to computer crash, you will now be delivered back to your living rooms and you will have to rebook the flight all over, please call customer service for a free voucher" 😂

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:15 AM, G-RFRY said:

even fully trained pilots are having to find another profession too many pilots for too few jobs

This may have been true in the past and  briefly during the pandemic, but there is a huge need for pilots right now. Demand may be the highest in history. 

To put it perspective, I just got a job listing from Wheels Up aviation. They are hiring King Air FOs, not captains…first officers, starting at $70K/year plus bonuses and per-diem. When I started flying in the 90s, this type of job would have paid below poverty level wages. Regional airlines are throwing money at pilots to try and keep them from jumping to mainline carriers. It is a great time to be a pilot. 

• Upvote 1

Chris

36 minutes ago, ADamiani said:

Try and land at Saba with it.

Could it be, that PSX misses the airport?

9 minutes ago, snglecoil said:

This may have been true in the past and  briefly during the pandemic, but there is a huge need for pilots right now. Demand may be the highest in history. 

To put it perspective, I just got a job listing from Wheels Up aviation. They are hiring King Air FOs, not captains…first officers, starting at $70K/year plus bonuses and per-diem. When I started flying in the 90s, this type of job would have paid below poverty level wages. Regional airlines are throwing money at pilots to try and keep them from jumping to mainline carriers. It is a great time to be a pilot. 

Nice to know the pandemic is over in your area, I live under the flight path of EGCC Manchester your lucky if you hear 10 an hour most of Europe is shut down.

Edited by G-RFRY

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

11 minutes ago, G-RFRY said:

Nice to know the pandemic is over in your area, I live under the flight path of EGCC Manchester your lucky if you hear 10 an hour most of Europe is shut down.

Apologies. I sometimes take for granted that I live in a part of the world that, for the most part, emphasizes freedom ahead of security…right, wrong, of indifferent. 

Chris

1 hour ago, G-RFRY said:

Be lucky you don't live in Brazil. The 747's wheels would pratically touch my buddies roof.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

I got news for all you folks, unless you are playing "You Bet Your Job" it's not a simulator, it's a video game.  

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam