Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Twin Otter is out now

8 hours ago, Holdit said:

I love the Twotter and was looking forward to this release, but based on what I'm reading: No sale. My P3D version works fine anyway.

Loved the P3D version but this one is much better. 

Let's go skydiving!

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

22 minutes ago, paddler said:

You might want to reconsider. As with any 3rd party offering, there will be minor issues and they will be rectified and updates posted. I can assure you that this is the case with the Twin Otter and much work has already been completed on sounds and other identified anomalies. This thing is already a beauty to fly and will be improved upon in the near future. It is my primary plane to explore the world with and will only get better. You are missing out IMHO.

I'm glad you're enjoying it but I can't say personally I consider the issues with the plane (and with  Aerosofts responses to them) exactly minor.

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, regis9 said:

Am I understanding correctly that the display screen of the GNS530/430 won’t pop out if using the alt+mouse click like all default planes?  Eek if so…I use RealSimGear GNS hardware so need to screens to pop out to use those properly.  Given that all default aircraft (and all third party aircraft that I have) can pop out it’s inexcusable for Aerosoft to just say it’s not possible.

Yes, it was acknowledged in beta but marked as not going to be fixed for first release. BUT I saw somewhere MK has now agreed to look into it :)

• Like 1

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, paddler said:

Loved the P3D version but this one is much better. 

...and can taxi! It also flies better IMHO.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

OK, so I broke down and bought the aircraft. I will eat my hat! There are definitely some blending issues with the sounds, but overall they're much better than in the CRJ. There are some little niggly things here and there but overall I love how it performs and flies. I was able to do a very steep slipped descent which was very cool. The aircraft feels very weighty and and seems to have plenty of inertia, so I'm not sure where the complaints about it feeling "like a kite" or like it has no weight come from. Maybe others have their controls setup with no curves? In any case I like it just as much as the Kodiak. IMO they're fundamentally different aircraft and there is room for both in our virtual hangars!  

• Like 2

Former Child, Current Adult

27 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

Yes, it was acknowledged in beta but marked as not going to be fixed for first release. BUT I saw somewhere MK has now agreed to look into it 🙂

Thanks, I seem to recall the Just Flight Arrow had the same issue when it first released and they fixed it so hopefully Aerosoft will follow suit.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Here is my Twotter AirManager setup.

Once the GPS's pop out then I will put the G530 instead of #1 KX155 in the stack so I can control that as well with the Knobster hardware.

I love this plane, it really feels right. It compliments the Kodiak very nicely. Stem vs Glass. Both are great. I like flying this NDB-NDB with dead reckoning in between. And of course the VORs where they exist. 

I actually used to use radio AM stations to navigate back in the 70's using the old steam dial ADF with the long wire antenna. Too bad you can't tune to AM station in the sim. It would be fun to recreate some old flights I made.

I also used to use Loran in my cardinal before GPS. Loran was good around the great lakes and up and down the coasts. I had my own custom Loran/NDB approach into B20 in Maine. The NDB is now gone and we only have RNAV approach available. I found flying the NDB with Loran for reference accurate to about 50' on repeated (previously recorded waypoints) very accurate on the Loran. Of course GPS is better, but it is fun to reminisce. 

Ok I got to get back into the  cockpit time to land and turn of the AP following the GPS FP.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

13 minutes ago, 177B said:

I love this plane, it really feels right. It compliments the Kodiak very nicely. Stem vs Glass. Both are great. I like flying this NDB-NDB with dead reckoning in between. And of course the VORs where they exist.

May ask you something? How far from the NDB station do you get signal?

Juan Ramos

24 minutes ago, 177B said:

Here is my Twotter AirManager setup.

Once the GPS's pop out then I will put the G530 instead of #1 KX155 in the stack so I can control that as well with the Knobster hardware.

I actually used to use radio AM stations to navigate back in the 70's using the old steam dial ADF with the long wire antenna. Too bad you can't tune to AM station in the sim. It would be fun to recreate some old flights I made.

I also used to use Loran in my cardinal before GPS. Loran was good around the great lakes and up and down the coasts. I had my own custom Loran/NDB approach into B20 in Maine. The NDB is now gone and we only have RNAV approach available. I found flying the NDB with Loran for reference accurate to about 50' on repeated (previously recorded waypoints) very accurate on the Loran. Of course GPS is better, but it is fun to reminisce. 

Ok I got to get back into the  cockpit time to land and turn of the AP following the GPS FP.

spacer.png

How is the autopilot? Flying outbound on a VOR? Sounds, bad or not? Some people are saying the texturing on some dials is a little iffy. How does it interface with external hardware (knobs and switches etc.)?

I'm wanting to buy it, but I think I will stick with the Kodiak for now. I can't understand how some people seem to love it, but given all the issues I noted above I can't see it.

25 minutes ago, RICHUK said:

Some people are saying the texturing on some dials is a little iffy.

Twin Otter has some issue I don't think gauge texture is one of them. Perhaps it's time for "some people" to get prescription glass 🙂 I certainly do already ware them and textures looks fine to me LOL

unknown.png?width=2235&height=1257

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 minute ago, sd_flyer said:

Twin Otter has some issue I don't think gauge texture is one of them. Perhaps it's time for "some people" to get prescription glass 🙂 I certainly do already ware them and textures looks fine to me LOL

OK cool thank you! I haven't seen the dials close up for myself yet (obviously) so wanted to check that one off the list of things to be concerned about. Any comments on the AP? I guess the sounds are OK, but need work, right? Thanks again for the screenshots!

7 minutes ago, RICHUK said:

OK cool thank you! I haven't seen the dials close up for myself yet (obviously) so wanted to check that one off the list of things to be concerned about. Any comments on the AP? I guess the sounds are OK, but need work, right? Thanks again for the screenshots!

the AP is the default GNS530/430 and you all know how it works. This has nothing to do with Aerosoft here.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

1 minute ago, fogboundturtle said:

the AP is the default GNS530/430 and you all know how it works. This has nothing to do with Aerosoft here.

Oh. I thought I read in the MS forum that there was issues with the AP, yet default aircraft were different. Maybe my mistake - that is why I am clarifying. There seems to be a lot of mixed messages with this aircraft.

58 minutes ago, xender said:

May ask you something? How far from the NDB station do you get signal?

Some it may be 100 miles or more if you are up high and some only 5 miles if you are low.

In between you used your E6B circular slide rule computer with wind correction calculations with a pencil on the back. Heading and a watch. As you get closer you pick up the station and if wins aloft were correctly reported you would be within a mile or so of where you figured you would be. If VFR you read the sectional on your lap to yoke clipboard. If VFR on top you would look for a big hole not a sucker one. IFR you were in contact and on radar most of the time, but not always. And sometimes the VOR's were out and you rely on radar vectors from ATC.

VFR at night over unpopulated areas is pretty much like IFR on low vis nights, so you really have to trust your navigation. Also you have to be ready to loose all electronics, so you should always have a very good idea of where you are on a sectional. All of a sudden you may be on your own with no naiads and only a flashlight, now find a good place to land...

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager