Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Twin Otter is out now

Recommended Posts

Just a question... Did the Arrows or the Kodiak had releases without issues? No. The Arrows needed several updates and even our beloved Kodiak had a severe fde problem with cg and torque after release and it still has a 2d prop spinning if you look closer while its turning. for me a nogo for a current release. But does it kill my flying experience, no. I will not defend or comment the release strategy by the devs nowadays but we are sadly known for release issues. And as an active beta tester on several projects I can assure you its not in the beta testers hands to postpone a release... You raise issues that get on a prio list and sometimes these are as accepted risk for a go live. Am I happy with my Twin Otter atm? No. Was I with the Kodiak or the Arrows on release? No. Some patience is the virtue. Just my 2 cents and subjective opinion as always.

Cheers T.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My jokes and jibes aside, I do really like this plane. Put me down as positive.

  • Like 4

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

hoping that @Chock Alan or Mark from Almost Aviation would come along here.

I am here and will probably do a review in due course. It has been clear all along that we need to manage our expectations and to judge this aircraft on its own merits, not strictly in comparison to the Twin Otter Extended. In my experience there is very little modelling of systems and the merit is in how well it flies. (And how it looks on the outside, if that's important to you.) It looks great from the inside, of course, and my initial impressions are that it flies nicely. It is, however, extremely easy to fly and I can't find any way to break it or screw things up. It floats long on landing and taxis well, on wheels at least (I haven't tried the floats).

For me, a working GPS, AP and NAV instruments are enough to give critical mass as a plane I will fly. These things are buggy, but evidently they're Asobo's bugs so they may be sorted eventually. In one sense, the finicky AP is a concession to realism that we don't see elsewhere in the product. You can dial in the piman GPS update or use his free GTN750. I have yet to try the latter but if it runs in a pop-out it will replace the GNS530 for me since that, inexplicably, doesn't pop out. I was told this is not under developer control, and yet all the default aircraft can pop this (and the AP?) out. As others have said, the sounds are awkwardly discrepant from what is promised, but charitably their addition was very last-minute and may still be WIP.

So there, just a few impressions for now.

Edited by MarkDH
  • Like 3

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

I am here and will probably do a review in due course. It has been clear all along that we need to manage our expectations and to judge this aircraft on its own merits, not strictly in comparison to the Twin Otter Extended. In my experience there is very little modelling of systems and the merit is in how well it flies. (And how it looks on the outside, if that's important to you.) It looks great from the inside, of course, and my initial impressions are that it flies nicely. It is, however, extremely easy to fly and I can't find any way to break it or screw things up. It floats long on landing and taxis well, on wheels at least (I haven't tried the floats).

For me, a working GPS, AP and NAV instruments are enough to give critical mass as a plane I will fly. These things are buggy, but evidently they're Asobo's bugs so they may be sorted eventually. In one sense, the finicky AP is a concession to realism that we don't see elsewhere in the product. You can dial in the piman GPS update or use his free GTN750. I have yet to try the latter but if it runs in a pop-out it will replace the GNS530 for me since that, inexplicably, doesn't pop out. I was told this is not under developer control, and yet all the default aircraft can pop this (and the AP?) out. As others have said, the sounds are awkwardly discrepant from what is promised, but charitably their addition was very last-minute and may still be WIP.

So there, just a few impressions for now.

Did you note a previous comment? If you place the plane into a turn and then release the yoke the plane just continues turning as per an Airbus and does not level off. Maybe this is correct behaviour?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jarmstro said:

Did you note a previous comment? If you place the plane into a turn and then release the yoke the plane just continues turning as per an Airbus and does not level off. Maybe this is correct behaviour?

That doesn't happen to me, at least not consistently. It's not correct behaviour as far as I know! I didn't see that comment so I don't know if you mean on AP or not. I have noted some onconsistent behaviour of the AP in terms of holding attitude. There is supposed to be a ROL mode but I don't understand it and I need to read more before I can decide if it's me or the AP that's deficient 😐


MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

That doesn't happen to me, at least not consistently. It's not correct behaviour as far as I know! I didn't see that comment so I don't know if you mean on AP or not. I have noted some onconsistent behaviour of the AP in terms of holding attitude. There is supposed to be a ROL mode but I don't understand it and I need to read more before I can decide if it's me or the AP that's deficient 😐

Thanks for the reply. In fact it happens with the AP off. Disconnect the AP, bank left, release the yoke and the plane stays banking left. It doesn't seem right to me. But maybe it is?

Edited by jarmstro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest 6297J
11 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

Thanks for the reply. In fact it happens with the AP off. Bank left, release the yoke and the plane stays banking left. It doesn't seem right to me. But maybe it is?

I agree. It feels far too easy to fly, just point and forget, like its on rails. There is no sense of the weight of the aircraft at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

If you place the plane into a turn and then release the yoke the plane just continues turning as per an Airbus and does not level off. Maybe this is correct behaviour?

Most airplanes (I'm talking about conventional airframes, not fighter/high performance) actually work like this in regular turns. You need opposite aileron application to break a constant bank equilibrium.

FWIW: If it's a steep turn (45 degrees), leaving the yoke neutral tends to further steepen the AoB.


EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , Turbocharged, EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40NG+tdi / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

Looks like Mathijs Kok is doing his usual.  The thread on the sounds has been locked, and he wasn't giving the best response - very defensive and dismissive as usual.
People are saying the transitions are out (as mentioned on here), there is no prop sound outside, only the turbine, and it is much louder in the cockpit than when outside, even at the same distance from the engine!  :unsure:
His response...  Use the engine sound slider in MSFS (and mess it up for the other planes engine sounds then I suppose).  :rolleyes:

I won't say their customer service is terrible, as they tend to iron things out eventually, but the way Mathijs talks to people is a bit off colour - still, I suppose we know this.

That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to buy add-ons from AS. Their forum policy is questionable: Very thin-skinned when it comes to critics, very fast closing of uncomfortable threads.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the Twotter and was looking forward to this release, but based on what I'm reading: No sale. My P3D version works fine anyway.


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MarkDH said:

I am here and will probably do a review in due course. It has been clear all along that we need to manage our expectations and to judge this aircraft on its own merits, not strictly in comparison to the Twin Otter Extended. In my experience there is very little modelling of systems and the merit is in how well it flies. (And how it looks on the outside, if that's important to you.) It looks great from the inside, of course, and my initial impressions are that it flies nicely. It is, however, extremely easy to fly and I can't find any way to break it or screw things up. It floats long on landing and taxis well, on wheels at least (I haven't tried the floats).

For me, a working GPS, AP and NAV instruments are enough to give critical mass as a plane I will fly. These things are buggy, but evidently they're Asobo's bugs so they may be sorted eventually. In one sense, the finicky AP is a concession to realism that we don't see elsewhere in the product. You can dial in the piman GPS update or use his free GTN750. I have yet to try the latter but if it runs in a pop-out it will replace the GNS530 for me since that, inexplicably, doesn't pop out. I was told this is not under developer control, and yet all the default aircraft can pop this (and the AP?) out. As others have said, the sounds are awkwardly discrepant from what is promised, but charitably their addition was very last-minute and may still be WIP.

So there, just a few impressions for now.

Thanks for that Mark… I think I’m going t wait for a patch or two before re-considering. A shame, because I was awaiting her arrival with bated breath. If you do see marked improvements, please do ding in… I loved er so in P3D.

Ta- C

  • Like 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Most airplanes (I'm talking about conventional airframes, not fighter/high performance) actually work like this in regular turns. You need opposite aileron application to break a constant bank equilibrium.

FWIW: If it's a steep turn (45 degrees), leaving the yoke neutral tends to further steepen the AoB.

Ah. Thanks so much for the clarification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Thanks for that Mark… I think I’m going t wait for a patch or two before re-considering. A shame, because I was awaiting her arrival with bated breath. If you do see marked improvements, please do ding in… I loved er so in P3D.

Ta- C

Same here!  I will be patient and wait a while for them to improve things. 
I already have a lot to look at though in the meantime.  I have a C337, Grob, and F-35 in the hangar that I have barely looked at yet! 


Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, cavaricooper said:

I have been quite undecided from all this commentary, and was hoping that @Chock Alan or Mark from Almost Aviation would come along here.
 

I was reassured by a conversation with @Steve Dra who was part of the Twotter Beta Team and told me that @metzgergva Alex Metzger did the FDE. Thus reassured, I am still intending to purchase it this evening. Alex can make a brick outhouse fly like a homesick angel.

Meanwhile Alan, a Hot Shot wouldn’t go amiss mate…

C

Off topic but I hope Alan is OK, he has not been on since November 20, 2021🤥

Am so glad I have learnt my lesson since leving P3D, buying the falvor of the week or month and ending up with a hanger full of aircraft i never fly. Its an easy trap to fail into. 😉 a costly one to. Am only banking on adding the NG from PMDG and the Fe-Nyxx A320 this year.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 3

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

 Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I caved and got this and gave it a quick test. Sound has a few problems and this repeating white noise/wind sounds is painfully obvious and needs addressed. Genuinely surprised it was released with the sounds as they are as the aircraft for the most part is very good.
I also notice the lag with the likes of flaps but after landing, I went outside and retracted the flaps - nicely animated but no external sounds. Went back into cockpit and the flaps sounds suddenly started working. Back outside and still no flap sounds. Back into cockpit and the sound was still there but never stopped, even after the flaps were fully retracted. Weirdly though, I don't mind the engine volume, I'm more concerned with how the engine pitch is portrayed i.e. not very well at all.

I also notice in the cockpit and you look left onto the window, there is a texture towards the top middle but it just looks like two grey blobs in a frame. Not sure what it is supposed to be but looks messy.

 

Hopefully all things that will be addressed quickly as the aircraft on the whole is very good.

  • Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online


  • Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

    AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

    Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
×
×
  • Create New...