Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Twin Otter is out now

A few thoughts after two initial flights.  

This certainly will be a fun aircraft, my first flight was a real world Air Inuit route Kuujjuaq (CYVP) - Kangiqsualujjuaq (CYLU), a pretty isolated flight into a gravel strip airport.  Interestingly, according to Voltana, I was the second person to land at Kangiqsualujjuaq today...I'll chalk that up to it being the day after Twotter launch day!  The second was from Vancouver Harbour to Victoria Harbour in the Westcoast Air float version.

Glad to here the sounds are being worked on, this aircraft certainly has the bones of good sounds but they are a bit wonky...I noticed some abrupt changes while changing throttle and RPMs settings.

It flies nicely, predictable and easy to takeoff and land.  I noticed there is a rudder trim setting for takeoff indicated on the rudder trim display.  I didn't use it and had no issues yawing on takeoff but I'll try it next time.

It looks quite nice in the sim, maybe even better than still pictures let on.

How are people getting on with taxiing on water?  I remember (after landing in Victoria Harbour) that the Twotter doesn't have water rudders I don't think, and you are supposed to taxi using differential thrust?  I had no luck doing so and ran aground a few times...couldn't get it to turn when I wanted or go straight when I wanted, go figure.  Any advice on taxiing technique on water would be welcome.

I'm wondering if the aircraft repaints are easily transferable between the different variants?  The included Air Inuit and Aklak Air paints are on cargo variants, both also operate passenger variants, it would be great to see these copied over.  Perhaps @Steve Dra could shed some light?  I feel like in the FSX/P3D model this was easily done, I recall downloading repaints that had the same paint available for several variants.

Speaking of repaints, if anyone's looking to do one, I present to you the most yellow Twotter you'll ever find 😉 https://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/aircraft-current/cc-138-fact-sheet.page

All in all happy with the purchase with the knowledge the sounds issue in particular is being worked on.  BTW, for my Canadian exchange rate at least, the ORBX store was about $10 more expensive than either Aerosoft direct or Just Flight.  I've noticed this higher price on a few things there lately, not sure what's up with that...

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

The sound of the engines playing with each other is the best part of a twin.

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

1 hour ago, Matchstick said:

if the Twiotter is more memory intensive than the DC6 I can only assume that theie coders have no idea how to optimize or its the most inefficient visual model in the history of flight sims.

Or perhaps this is a direct consequence of just slapping in unmodified default systems rather than taking the time to tune and optimize them for your specific use ?

This is just an easy escape from work that should had been done. If a state of the art xbox cant handle a small animation then why even consider making it for the xbox in the first place. Its not like all the animations are playing at the same time. Apparently kids on xbox is Aerosofts new customer goals. All about the money grab on halfmade products.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, a321 said:

Wont be buying any MSFS planes day 1 from now on.

I did that, DC-6, Bleriot11 no problem, but with the CRJ I regret it, even today, months and months after release annoying bugs are still there.

I will buy the Zodiac once on MP to get the turboprop feeling and stay away from future AS product unless it's well polished and no other dev are working on the same plane.

If you look at AS forum, MK is doing a great job at changing the mind of people who wants to buy his product.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cyrex1984 said:

This is just an easy escape from work that should had been done. If a state of the art xbox cant handle a small animation then why even consider making it for the xbox in the first place. Its not like all the animations are playing at the same time. Apparently kids on xbox is Aerosofts new customer goals. All about the money grab on halfmade products.

It seems entirely possible to create good planes and get them working well on both PC and XB.

Just Flight are proof of this.

The problem comes when a Dev can't be bothered to put in the effort to do this properly and just slaps in default code and them denies responsibility when it doesn't actually work.

• Like 3

Also I heard that this plane is very easy on resources but will test when I get it.

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

2 hours ago, bobcat999 said:

I just can't believe what MK is saying!  The trim wheels don't move because the animation is too intensive and would affect xbox?!  
Your flying a plane across a landscape, maybe in 4k, but the trim wheel animation will bring the frame rate down?

He then goes on to say the doors don't open on the default MSFS aircraft for a reason, as xbox wouldn't cope with the animation. 
Well how about the 3P aircraft sold on the marketplace for xbox - their doors open don't they?  Is this a joke?  Is it a fact? or is is just typical MK?  :blink:

Unbelievable!

Glad I stayed away from this one!  And I really wanted it!

The trim wheels moved just fine in their P3D version!

Chris Camp

For the sake of the wider company I'm hoping MK has basically gone rogue and is making the content of his responses up from half remembered things that don't actually reflect the reality of the project and how Aersoft intend to fix it.

But that's wishful thinking.

Edited by Matchstick

1 hour ago, a321 said:

You can start the plane with the fuel pumps off... Awful release for me, but glad you are happy! I bought day 1 to btw...Wont be buying any MSFS planes day 1 from now on.

Cause Xbox gamers don't care about realistic startups!

It's obvious now where Aerosoft prioritized this AC and it wasn't for PC apparently!

Chris Camp

16 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

It seems entirely possible to create good planes and get them working well on both PC and XB.

Just Flight are proof of this.

Oh, stop speaking reason!   It makes it harder for folks to use third-party comments about things they know nothing about as a Rorschach test of their own insecurities.  😄

The people's flag is deepest red.

I think is is the most confusing airplane for me on whether to buy or not, I really want it as I like the twotter, but some of these comments are not giving me the warm and fuzzies, but some comments are lol..Ah decisions decisions! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

45 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

For the sake of the wider company I'm hoping MK has basically gone rogue and is making the content of his responses up from half remembered things that don't actually reflect the reality of the project and how Aersoft intend to fix it.

But that's wishful thinking.

I've been going through the AS Twotter forum and he is pretty much going par for the course. I think he actually did even worse with the CRJ last year. But everyone in the 'inner circle' of their projects usually seem to convince themselves that their addon is the best thing since sliced bread, all the issues are just user error, Asobo's fault or claim their real world pilots say it is all good (for the CRJ I questioned their real world pilots credentials as they missed glaring issues that no rated CRJ pilot would let slide).

Now just wait and see how long the second or third update for the plane will take, as they have to split dev resources between the CRJ and the Twotter... The CRJ has been abandoned for months because of the Twotter essentially, the promise was it would be the focus after Twotter release but I don't really see that happening until quite some patching work for this thing. 

27 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

I think is is the most confusing airplane for me on whether to buy or not, I really want it as I like the twotter, but some of these comments are not giving me the warm and fuzzies, but some comments are lol..Ah decisions decisions! 

Knowing aerosoft from way back my fsx days, I kind of knew there will be clashes back and force between MK and users. Basically a lot of drama until aerosoft silently fixes all major bugs and everyone will be happy.

Before buying Twitter I didn’t keep my expectation high but just like before buying CRJ. Now looks like majority are happy with it.

After reading such a highly emotional posts about lack of animated trim wheel I wonder why no one complain about not catching prop wash after perfectly executed  steep turn Lol it should be total realism killer we should quit all sims immediately  ! ( sarcasm) lol

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 hours ago, abennett said:

@RICHUK

I have had the complete opposite experience. I can't engage the autopilot in climb without the aircraft pitching down, when it eventually recovers it eventually shoots through the selected altitude even though it engages ALT mode. Then in descent, all can seem to be going well and then it will plummet. 99% sure not user error, been doing these things for 20 years etc etc. I know a friend has had the exact same experience.

Thanks a lot for the heads-up! I appreciate the input!

After a lot of unfathomable vacillating, I bought the Twotter this morning.  Will install later today, and am hoping Alex Metzger's genius will make the myriad of smaller issues less bothersome. I am hoping someone can shed light on the forthcoming patch to correct the most glaring ones...?

Ta- C

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper