Sign in to follow this  
gregmorin

Sticking with P3DV5 even with the developers leaving

This is not a my sim is better than your sim thread. I have simply made the decision that P3DV5 is probably my last sim. I am 73 years old and I have been syming since FS98. I say this because P3DV5 meets all my needs very well. I have all the aircraft, scenery and airports I require. The performance and visuals completely meet my expectations. It has become apparent that should P3DV6 be released without third party developer support, I am better off staying with what I got. No need to update hardware until it dies. No real need for more aircraft or scenery. I would like to see the PMDG DC-6 in V5 but even if the does not happen, I have the A2A Connie. I am content. My feelings.

Greg

• Like 24
  • Upvote 6

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Come on Greg. You've still got at least another 15 years of simming ahead of you 😉

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TrevorS said:

Come on Greg. You've still got at least another 15 years of simming ahead of you 😉

I hope so Trevor! But it maybe on P3DV5. We will see what the future brings. I did stay on FS 9 until 2012 when that computer died and we had hardware for FSX,

Greg

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Although I´m only 56 now, I feel the same. Never had a better sim regarding sceneries and aircraft. It is a development since 2006 when FSX came out. I´m flying and creating since FS4. Maybe I just quit one day and say it´s time for the real world again.

Dan

• Like 3

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

1 hour ago, gregmorin said:

I hope so Trevor! But it maybe on P3DV5. We will see what the future brings. I did stay on FS 9 until 2012 when that computer died and we had hardware for FSX,

Fingers crossed that some aircraft are upgraded to v5. Unlikely, but hope springs eternal.

If MSFS matures into the sim it alluded to be, I may reinstall it (especially if the Fenix A320 delivers on its pre-release promise).
Yet as someone who lasted on FS9 until 2017 and the launch of P3D v4, I can fully understand why there's no desire to chase the next big thing. P3D is not getting all the attention it once did. However, it is still being improved and is a stable FS platform with a whole host of add-ons that remains unmatched.

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

@F737NG  I also went straight from FS9 to P3DV4.  For a few reasons.  I took a few years off from the hobby.  Looking at it now my reason for not going over to MSFS full time is not computer power or even money for addons.  It's the limitations of MSFS for the type of flying I like.  I admit the Fenix pictures from today were amazing.  Very nice.  I'm just not sold on the sim in general yet.  It's 50/50 I even go to it at this point for airliner flying.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Well I'm using P3V5 for my FSLabs Airbuses and MJC Q400 😍 most flying hours, however for GA I'm going to the dark site and enjoy both,😎

Just a great time for simulating flight, with so many choices, 12 years ago it was a lot darker over the virtual skies.

With current hardware it's dream regarding performance, that was back in the days 360 degrees a different heading with hardware trying to catch up ...

So refreshing to see the cfg file a lot less and more air time.

Edited by awf
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

André

5 hours ago, gregmorin said:

This is not a my sim is better than your sim thread. I have simply made the decision that P3DV5 is probably my last sim. I am 73 years old and I have been syming since FS98. I say this because P3DV5 meets all my needs very well. I have all the aircraft, scenery and airports I require. The performance and visuals completely meet my expectations. It has become apparent that should P3DV6 be released without third party developer support, I am better off staying with what I got. No need to update hardware until it dies. No real need for more aircraft or scenery. I would like to see the PMDG DC-6 in V5 but even if the does not happen, I have the A2A Connie. I am content. My feelings.

Greg

Greg, I will hit 70 in a few months and couldn’t agree more. Just don’t care to go through the never ending grind of waiting on developers to release their next add on then waiting on updates to fix bugs. Time to just enjoy what I have. 

On a side bar the PMDG DC6 works perfectly in version five. There is a simple way to point the installer to V5 posted on utube. I don’t know how to post a link but you can google “installing PMDG DC6 into P3DV5” , or perhaps someone can post the link. PMDG doesn’t provide support but what the hay. IMHO they don’t provide much anyway but I digress.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Vic green

I will be 72 this year and I too am at the point in my life that I am very well satisfied in staying with P3D v. 5xx. I have been doing flight simulation since MSFS 95 because as a real world licensed pilot, flying enough hours to remain current just got too expense for me. I have been through FS 95, 98, 2K, 2004 & FSX. Eventually I moved over to P3D 3.4xx and then a year ago to P3D 5.1 & now 5.3. With this latest version being very stable on my aging Jetline desktop, plus all of the great addon scenery & a\c that I enjoy, as Patco Lch note, "Time to just enjoy what I have".

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Well, Gents, I beat most of you at 82! 

I agree with you that P3D 5.3 meets all my needs for the future.

TBH, I do not have the money to replace my PC, not to spend another $200 on another Flight Sim. I would sooner use that money to go to see my daughters who unfortunately live on opposite sides of the globe.

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Thought I'd perhaps weigh in as a young 'un! (20 if you're asking)

11 hours ago, F737NG said:

P3D is not getting all the attention it once did. However, it is still being improved and is a stable FS platform with a whole host of add-ons that remains unmatched.

This is basically my reasoning for sticking to P3D as well, for my preferred type of flying P3D meets all my needs and certain upcoming releases will fill those needs even better. I have a very well-done 747-400 which I can take across the world (mostly in a cargo context) along with the MD80, BAe146 and 737NG for regional flying. I'm very content in that respect. Really the only Sim that has something I desperately want which P3D hasn't is XP11 with the 747-200, though I am holding on to my hopes that the JF version will finally release this year.

Of course I have many more years in which to explore other sim offerings, I can definitely see myself potentially picking up MSFS as a GA Sim in the near-future. Age isn't the limiting factor in my case rather than finances!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

Keep the faith old fellas bless you all 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

MSI X670E Carbon Wifi, 7800X3D, TUF 4090 , X4 NVME's. OS on a 2TB 980 Pro , MSFS on " 2TB WD Black , G Skill F5 32 GB RAM ( 6000 allegedly) Corsair RM1000 PSU, Artic Freezer 280 AIO Cooler . Phanteks P600s Case ,TCL QM8B 50" 120/144 Hz TV, Warthog Stick and TCA Captains throttle ( full pack) Logitech / Saitek Rudder Pedals , Streamdeck XL / Streamdeck +

Agreed, my P3Dv4 isn’t going anywhere! Hopefully v5 gains some stability as it ages. Too much invested to dump P3D now, or ever. 

Dan

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Dan Pergau - PPL-SEL

I7-10700k, RTX4070, 32gb-3200mhz | Dell U3415W | Saitek Pro Pedals & Logitech 3D Extreme | - PMDG Boeings, iFly MAX, Fenix A320, Leonardo MadDog and Majestic Q400 | P3Dv5 & MSFS

With the right add-ons and rig to run it at it's best, P3D v5 is surely an excellent platform, and one I would embrace if it wasn't too expensive for an uninstaller like me.

Investing in the Professional version is expensive, but now users can even get for free a worth of nice add-ons, although some might not be fully compatible with p3dv5 HF2.

From time to time I buy a 1 month dev license, install P3D and the only add-ons I have for it - ORBX Global + Active Sky + FSLabs A319 / 20 and play for a while. It's always enjoyable !

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

That's a great thread !! You are only as old as you feel, not what's written in your passport 🙂

I'm 62 and started flight simming in 1985, a whopping 37 years ago with FS2. I did not even dream about what's possible these days.

In the meantime I have let a dream come true with an A320 homecockpit with P3Dv5 and FSLabs. On top of that excellent weather simulation with AS, 260 Addon Airports and convincing AI traffic everywhere on the planet. What more could I ask for, so I will certainly stay with P3Dv5 as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qznk4o89pyrn230/a320_20.jpg?dl=0

Mike

• Like 4

1. A320 home cockpit (FSLabs, Skalarki), P3Dv5  Main PC : I7-12700K, GTX3080Ti

2. FSLabs A3xx, P3Dv5. Gigabyte Aorus 17G YC, I7-10700K, RTX 3080