Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

TFDi MD-11 Pricing Announced (Base $89.99)

47 minutes ago, Rogen said:

The reality is the gamer crowd are a different market to those who consider themselves hobbyists and enthusiasts.

Hobbyists and enthusiasts will willingly spend for their chosen genre, even if an item is a little pricy (I watched a racing sim enthusiast spend ~$2,000.00 on a carbon fibre steering wheel), plus hands up if you've a 3080+ GFX card (which is a very pricy spend), although commercial is the real path to income in niche types of markets.

The company I work for sells commercial use software at $12,000.00 per license plus an additional %20 per year as annual software maintenance and there are no shortage of sales.

MSFS would have a long way to go before it is usable is a commercial sense though, e.g. there has to be repeatable saved senarios, weather managment including historical, full multi-monitor, plus commercial use licensing for every software component and toolset in use within the system.

Sure, looking pretty attracts the plebs but ultimately the experience is shallow as it stands now.

Still I would expect hobbyists to spend for the MD11 considering what else is there ??? plus it's an interesting plane considerably different to other jetliners.

Cheers

Well ok your royal elitist highness we hear ya!

Careful not to get eaten by us lowly "pleb" townsfolk though.😉

eayLlsqerLaA_0L1rq51VUYIYjvKn3t-70L5ylE_

• Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Just now, Rogen said:

And MSFS's good looks were not an initital attraction for yourself ?

How good MSFS looks was a very heavy part of MS's promotion.

Cheers

Well they wanted to differentiate MSFS  from the other current sims, that look terrible, why wouldn't they? I had to revert back to P3D after flying MSFS for a couple of months, while my new PC was sent out for repair. It was like going from a 65 OLED HDTV with HDR, to a standard broadcast 15" BW TV on rabbit  ears.  . And I had flown P3D for years. But hey, my neighbor still loves his flip phone. 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 minutes ago, blueshark747 said:

Well ok your royal elitist highness we hear ya!

Careful not to get eaten by us lowly "pleb" townsfolk though.😉

Ok, now the truisms are coming out,

Different option, burn at the stake.

Cheers

PS. Did find it funny though :-)

Edited by Rogen
PS

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

Well they wanted to differentiate MSFS  from the other current sims, that look terrible, why wouldn't they? I had to revert back to P3D after flying MSFS for a couple of months, while my new PC was sent out for repair. It was like going from a 65 OLED HDTV with HDR, to a standard broadcast 15" BW TV on rabbit  ears.  . And I had flown P3D for years. But hey, my neighbor still loves his flip phone. 

Like I said, no need to defend your life/sim choices.

I for one started with a Commodore64 where my mate who was an actual pilot taught me a few ins and outs of flying.

Still really the thread should get back to the MD 11, would you buy such an aircraft ?

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

1 minute ago, Rogen said:

Heh, I've often wonders does the system replace F-U types with "Word not allowed", I've never has such occur in any of my posts.

Cheers

Are you seriously trying to imply some kind of superior intellect to all the "plebs" while at the same time not even spelling your words correctly...?

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

1 minute ago, Swe_Richard said:

Are you seriously trying to imply some kind of superior intellect to all the "plebs" while at the same time not even spelling your words correctly...?

Actually I'm just killing a little time while awaiting an endodontic treatment.

Feel free to look it up :-)

Cheers

24 minutes ago, psolk said:

If you are pricing them the same across multiple platforms that also implies a minimum of feature parity.  

I would suggest that would be true, however likely it would also be parity up to the limitations of the system.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Ridvan Celik said:

I’ve been in business for over ten years in a different industry, very familiar with the term.

However, we’re talking a niche market being flight sim and on top of that a niche add-on being the md-11. Either way, they need to make their money… or else they’re not a business. 

In general, yes, you need to price units higher with less units sold to maximize profit. But there's a limit. You can only go so far until you restrict yourself by upping the price so much that your niche target market becomes even more niche. I'm sure they have put a lot of thought into the pricing and didn't just blindly go along with P3D pricing, but I don't see any other examples where a niche aircraft was priced higher just because it's niche.

For example, their own 717 is niche as well in my book, but that isn't priced higher because of that. Likewise, the Concorde for MSFS is apparently also going to be very affordable. Another relevant example is PMDG's MD-11 that wasn't priced high either because of a small customer base and that still didn't sell well. If that price had been increased more due to being niche it would have done even worse. Then there's a lot of old, classic airliners that are nowhere near as popular as an A320 or a 737, but AFAIK these are usually cheaper than modern aircraft, but in any case never more expensive. Pricing would typically be increased when demand is high and supply is low, not when supply is high but demand is low.

Pricing this MD-11 to be more expensive to make up for a small customer base would be the first time seeing this for me and I'm not sure if a price tag above most other addons wouldn't make it even more niche with even less people buying it.

• Upvote 2

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

6 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Actually I'm just killing a little time while awaiting an endodontic treatment.

That is just comedy gold, I suppose. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

1 minute ago, Swe_Richard said:

That is just comedy gold, I suppose. 

Smile 🙂, life's too short.

Cheers

23 minutes ago, Rogen said:

Like I said, no need to defend your life/sim choices.

The fact that you're adding "life choices" to the mix is purely nauseating. 

Can we stop the bickering and get back on topic pretty please?

• Like 4

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

1 minute ago, threegreen said:

Can we stop the bickering and get back on topic pretty please?

The bickering only happens because people react so harshly.  If people don't have anything nice to say - don't say it at all.  And I don't mean we only talk about the rainbows and unicorns of MSFS...constructive criticism is great!   I just mean some people post here trying to get a reaction out of other people.  If I posted all of my reactions I would have been banned years ago hah!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My personal opinion, but I do think that it may be hard to be competitive in the MSFS market with a base package of ~$89.99. I doubt the decision is short-sided, but again it may change as it nears release.

well, finally some  of the big boys are coming out!!!!!  Enough with all these GA aircrafts.  Once again the iss.ue become are u a hobbyist who luvs a simulator, or a GA fan looking at the gorgerous scenery that FS 2020 has to offer.

The only thing is these prices like a 90.00 bucks to  is pretty steep.  I can only imagine what PMDG will be asking for their new Boeing 737 version.  I know one thing with PMDG u will get big time quality.

The Md-11 is a beautiful plane, open ur wallets folks !!!  Just feel for an older plane like the MD-11 the price is on the high side, but they will get their buyers.

Edited by Sunshine13

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home