Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

TFDi MD-11 Pricing Announced (Base $89.99)

Sounds like these tube liners for MSFS are going to be well over $100...

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

29 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

People will buy it (true simmers) because it is something different than an A320 or a B737. It will come out for P3D also so you know those users are wanting new aircraft.

Yes they will and I’ll be one of them.  I loved flying the MD11 in FSX precisely because it was something different, had some incredibly high approach speeds etc, just an interesting aircraft overall.

22 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

I do understand that because TDFi is releasing this simultaneously for P3D and MSFS, they may want to appear consistent with their pricing, so they are pricing the MD 11 the same for both P3D and MSFS. 

Also, while I understand TDFi is releasing this MD 11 for both P3D and MSFS at the same time, TDFi shouldn't be pricing this based on the sales of the MD 11 for P3D.  P3D sales of the MD 11 will probably be a very small fraction of the MSFS sales.  So hopefully, TDFi is pricing the MD 11 to maximize their profit with MSFS sales, not P3D sales.

I had the same thought, seems like a P3D approach to pricing.  It would certainly be an interesting place for TDFI to occupy in the market if the PMDG 737 came out ten or twenty bucks cheaper (or maybe even more than that?)

Edited by regis9
  • Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Didnt they get the memo? The days for these kind of prices are long gone. All they are doing with these kind of price, is actually lower their sales/profit.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 4

Just now, leprechaunlive said:

Didnt they get the memo? The days for these kind of prices are long gone. All they are doing with these kind of price, is actually lower their sales/profit.

how are they going to finance the P3D version if they don't overcharged on the MSFS version of it ?

• Upvote 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

8 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Yes they will and I’ll be one of them.  I loved flying the MD11 in FSX precisely because it was something different, had some incredibly high approach speeds etc, just an interesting aircraft overall.

I had the same thought, seems like a P3D approach to pricing.  It would certainly be an interesting place for TDFI to occupy in the market if the PMDG 737 came out ten or twenty bucks cheaper (or maybe even more than that?)

Yes.  There really isn't any additional "material cost" that goes into each extra copy of digital software sold from downloads, that you would have for a tangible product such as a computer, book, food, furniture, etc.  The costs from selling additional digital download copies is mainly support costs, meaning more employees may need to be added to the support team, as more copies are sold.

So that's why I'm skeptical if TDFi is maximizing their profits.  If their support costs does not go up dramatically if they lower the price, to say $60 USD, but the number of units sold of the MD 11 goes up a lot more if they lowered the price to $60, then TDFi will be much better off pricing it as $60 and not the $90 they are pricing it at.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

4 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

So that's why I'm skeptical if TDFi is maximizing their profits.  If their support costs does not go up dramatically if they lower the price, to say $60 USD, but the number of units sold of the MD 11 goes up a lot more if they lowered the price to $60, then TDFi will be much better off pricing it as $60 and not the $90 they are pricing it at.

For $60 I would consider buying it. For $90 I am pretty certain that I won't buy it.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

how are they going to finance the P3D version if they don't overcharged on the MSFS version of it ?

They havent released an aircraft on MSFS yet, so i dont blame them for not knowing, but the MSFS sales will suffice to finance both versions, plus their next plane.

36 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

They won't be, if the customers in MSFS don't buy it for that price.

Assume for a moment that Fenix prices the A320 around $70 USD, and PMDG prices their 737 around $70 (let's just assume these are the prices, they may not exactly be this price).  If Fenix sells a lot of A320s and PMDG sells a lot of 737s, but TDFi does not sell very many MD 11s for MSFS, TDFi will hear the news of Fenix selling well, and PMDG selling well, and then TDFi will start to question whether they priced the MD 11 right for MSFS.

• Like 4

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

38 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Remains to be seen, as this one is the only one so far that seems to come with a higher price tag whereas others have indicated going down with prices. That's why I posted this as this goes against the expectation set so far.

• Like 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Just now, abrams_tank said:

They won't be, if the customers in MSFS don't buy it for that price.

Assume for a moment that Fenix prices the A320 around $70 USD, and PMDG prices their 737 around $70 (let's just assume these are the prices, they may not exactly be this price).  If Fenix sells a lot of A320s and PMDG sells a lot of 737s, but TDFi does not sell very many MD 11s for MSFS, TDFi will hear the news of Fenix selling well, and PMDG selling well, and then TDFi will start to question whether they priced the MD 11 right for MSFS.

My guess is that the folks that are chomping on the bit to buy a tubeliner, will pay anything to get one, no matter what the cost. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, threegreen said:

Remains to be seen, as this one is the only one so far that seems to come with a higher price tag whereas others have indicated going down with prices. That's why I posted this as this goes against the expectation set so far.

When someone starts trying to sell a biz jet for over $100 then I'll start to worry lol. 

Former Child, Current Adult

This needs to be significantly better than the PMDG MD-11 for FSX to be worth it IMO. I have my doubts

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

vatsim s3

1133704.png

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

My guess is that the folks that are chomping on the bit to buy a tubeliner, will pay anything to get one, no matter what the cost. 

Part of that likely comes down to when it’s released.  If this were released today, absolutely.  If this is released in the future when we hypothetically have releases from PMDG, Fenix, Leonardo Maddog, an A310…people won’t be as eager to jump at the next airliner to arrive.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Ouch...

High price on a bad/buggy platform (MSFS2020) and scrapping for more $$$ with add-ons!

$100 is way over the top for any of these aircraft! I know plenty will pay it. Just won't be me!

I'm not biting!

Edited by tpete61

1 minute ago, tpete61 said:

Ouch...

High price on a bad platform and scrapping for more $$$ with add-ons!

$100 is way over the top for any of these aircraft! I know plenty will pay it. Just won't be me!

I'm not biting!

What is a bad platform????

• Like 2