Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

TFDi MD-11 Pricing Announced (Base $89.99)

20 minutes ago, tpete61 said:

Ouch...

High price on a bad/buggy platform (MSFS2020) and scrapping for more $$$ with add-ons!

Why even worry about any add on. Install good platform and be happy ! LOL

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

I can see what direction this is going in if comparable aircraft are less in price.  Then we will hear the MD-11 is a flop just like PMDG touted for so many years.  70$ for the Fenix or PMDG?  Then that means it costs 20$ for the extra engine. 😄

This MD-11 however is far more sophisticated than the 717 they released. Been following development.  Maybe think of it as a 2 in 1 aircraft since its like a hybrid airbus/boeing in systems. Just a whole lot bigger and the extra engine with some unique characteristics. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

I personally think the price is justified, one because I know the work TFDI Does and two because the md-11 ain’t going to sell as much as the a320-737. They do need to cover costs + profit. 

Can’t wait for a good ol md-11. It’s been far too long.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

What TFDI is doing would be jacking up the price and make a bad signal for other developers to raise price in this market as if all high-end seller collude together to make a monopoly market. TFDI is the first one to test the market for a twisted high price that would push other companies to jump in with it!

• Upvote 4

It would be nice to see actual MD-11 and all implemented system first!

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

It would certainly be an interesting place for TDFI to occupy in the market if the PMDG 737 came out ten or twenty bucks cheaper (or maybe even more than that?)

Not that interesting though -- I consider the MD-11 a different market to some extent.  The MD-11 is very very niche and TDFi I'm sure knows that...hence the high price.  Whereas the 737 / A320 etc. are more mainstream in terms of FS tubeliners.  I suppose though, all of these fairly-complex-to-very complex FS aircraft are niche markets when you get down to it.

To a point though, I understand what you mean in the sense that first-to-market for a big complex tubeliner in MSFS will get some extra sales based just on being first, regardless of the airplane type.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

3 minutes ago, Mace said:

I consider the MD-11 a different market to some extent.  The MD-11 is very very niche

PMDG stated their sales numbers were dismal even in FSX. Why they never pursued it any further.

Whichever dev house is the first to market- the price of that product is going to have the greatest impact for those following and set the market rate for these types of addons.

No one is going to leave any money laying on the table- it's all about the numbers.

Interesting that TFDI decided to be first one to throw a price out there.

They're either dipping their toes in the water to gauge feedback or they might be close to release, or both.

Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

17 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

I personally think the price is justified, one because I know the work TFDI Does and two because the md-11 ain’t going to sell as much as the a320-737. They do need to cover costs + profit. 

That's exactly the opposite of how you price.  Sunk costs are irrecoverable costs in business.  You price to maximize your profit (or minimize your losses) going forward.  Read up the "sunk cost fallacy" here: https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/economics/sunk-cost/ 

Whatever development costs TDFi has lost up to this point, is irrelevant to how they price the TDFi, if they are thinking rationally from a business perspective.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

My guess is that the folks that are chomping on the bit to buy a tubeliner, will pay anything to get one, no matter what the cost. 

The serious to hardcore simmer will do that. The casual/gamer will not do it even at 20 bucks.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

That's exactly the opposite of how you price.  Sunk costs are irrecoverable costs in business.  You price to maximize your profit (or minimize your losses) going forward.  Read up the "sunk cost fallacy" here: https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/knowledge/economics/sunk-cost/ 

Whatever development costs TDFi has lost up to this point, is irrelevant to how they price the TDFi, if they are thinking rationally from a business perspective.

I’ve been in business for over ten years in a different industry, very familiar with the term.

However, we’re talking a niche market being flight sim and on top of that a niche add-on being the md-11. Either way, they need to make their money… or else they’re not a business. 

11 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

The serious to hardcore simmer will do that. The casual/gamer will not do it even at 20 bucks.

Your very correct that's the way I see it as well.

At the end of the day this is basically a game so having a $100 add on is not going to appeal to the masses.

I'm sure the developers will make money at $100. They know the market.

I play the game quite regularly but have been disappointed enough by payware that I wouldn't spend $100.

To each his own!

4 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

I’ve been in business for over ten years in a different industry, very familiar with the term.

However, we’re talking a niche market being flight sim and on top of that a niche add-on being the md-11. Either way, they need to make their money… or else they’re not a business. 

Of course they need to make a profit.  But how they price is irrelevant of any sunk costs they have made.  It doesn't matter whether it's the flight simulator business, popcorn business, or furniture business.  All businesses, if rational, don't price based on their sunk costs.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 hour ago, 737_800 said:

For $60 I would consider buying it. For $90 I am pretty certain that I won't buy it.

Same here. Another product that will be bought by the hard core simmers only rather than the vast casual pool of simmers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tpete61 said:

High price on a bad/buggy platform (MSFS2020) and scrapping for more $$$ with add-ons!

Yawn. 

• Like 8

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12