Sign in to follow this  
Flysimware

Report Cessna 414AW Chancellor issues

21 minutes ago, Nick414 said:

I dont think my download is corrupt, but I could attempt reinstall. I do use the honeycomb alpha and bravo, I suspect there could be an issue there. The bravo trimwheel wont work for this aircraft either. Any ideas on what it could be? Cant even fly it because it wont climb. 

Just figured it out thanks to a reply here.... I had to set my sim to US units instead of metric. It was reading in meters. 

39 minutes ago, geoffda said:

Oil pressure gauges seem to be incorrectly coupled.

STR:

1) Start engine 1, watch oil pressure come up on the left gauge.

EXPECTED: Pressure on the right gauge (engine 2) should remain at zero.

ACTUAL: Pressure on the right gauge mirrors engine 1.

Notes:

There may be permutations of this bug; i.e. try starting engine 2 first and see if the results are the same.

I am not able to reproduce that issue.  I have tried with several liveries and tried starting the left engine first, then the right and visa versa.  When starting either engine first only the oil pressure gauge for that engine moves and the other remains at zero.  I would like to know, however, why the manifold pressure gauge reads 25 when the engines are not running.

1 hour ago, ryanbatc said:

TDS says that it's been working.  Be sure you update your GPS Manager first from the My Account section of their website...then update the unit itself from the GPS Manager.  Then there may be a option within the GTNxi menu itself.  Or just select show defaults or something.

AFAIK it should be under "Map Setup" --> "Map" --> "Select ALT Range Arc". But this option doesn't show up on my unit. 

Both the trainer version and the TDS version are the most recent ones, according to the GPS Manager. TDS version is 1.0.1.2.

Intel i7-10700K @ 4.7 GHz | Nvidia RTX 3070 FE | 32GB DDR4 RAM 

30 minutes ago, psychedelic_tortilla said:

AFAIK it should be under "Map Setup" --> "Map" --> "Select ALT Range Arc". But this option doesn't show up on my unit. 

Both the trainer version and the TDS version are the most recent ones, according to the GPS Manager. TDS version is 1.0.1.2.

That's new.  Hmmm.  This is a TDS support question.  Put a support question in their Discord:  https://discord.gg/HJKCx9Rh  or email support at tdssim.com

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It would be great to get a C414A profile for this airplane on SimBrief.

• Like 2

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

So, couple of things I’m trying to see if these are operator error;

pitch wheel on the classic autopilot head doesn’t seem to control pitch when in AP mode?

NAV mode won’t couple to GPS on the classic AP/GNS setup

Altitude preselect blows right through selected altitude even though armed light and green “coupled” light appears on the unit whilst blowing through the altitude

Initiating a 30+ degree turn in HDG mode with classic autopilot causes pitch down to negative vertical speeds 

FD pitch bar seems inop?

Thanks,

9 minutes ago, Peter Clark said:

pitch wheel on the classic autopilot head doesn’t seem to control pitch when in AP mode?

NAV mode won’t couple to GPS on the classic AP/GNS setup

Altitude preselect blows right through selected altitude even though armed light and green “coupled” light appears on the unit whilst blowing through the altitude

Initiating a 30+ degree turn in HDG mode with classic autopilot causes pitch down to negative vertical speeds 

FD pitch bar seems inop?

1) Seems to work but only if you first press ALT

2) bug logged already thanks

3)hmmm mine captured ok.  could be the existing altimeter bug.  its currently intercepting pressure altitude

4)not seeing that

5) haven't looked yet

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A few additional notes regarding some minor glitches... and a work around:

The GNS530 seems only partly functional. The dual GTN750 panel, on the other hand, is really great!

The right-hand screen, however, doesn't want to allow changes to frequencies once in flight; the knob changes the left hand screen only.

Fuel consumption seems a bit high compared to what I've been able to find online. Not too bad, but maybe 20%-25% too much? (Might have something to do with the MSFS mixture glitch?)

For those comfortable with editing dot cfg files: in the engines.cfg file if you change the line that reads fuel_air_auto_mixture=0 from zero to one you will not have to change the setting in the Controls screen in MSFS. That way, you can leave the Auto Mixture setting in the sim "as is" instead of having to change it each time you fly. (Credit to BostonJeremy77 on the MSFS Forum for this tip.)

2 minutes ago, Seven7Tango said:

The dual GTN750 panel, on the other hand, is really great!

The right-hand screen, however, doesn't want to allow changes to frequencies once in flight; the knob changes the left hand screen only.

Is this with the GTN xi or regular GTN?  Easiest way to tell is the regular GTN only has one button on the lower right of the bezel.  And thanks for the engines cfg tip

Edited by ryanbatc

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

7 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Is this with the GTN xi or regular GTN?  Easiest way to tell is the regular GTN only has one button on the lower right of the bezel.  And thanks for the engines cfg tip

This is the regular GTN. Kinda changes the game... first time I've used them.

49 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

3)hmmm mine captured ok.  could be the existing altimeter bug.  its currently intercepting pressure altitude

4)not seeing that

5) haven't looked yet

Ok, I admit it’s been 10 years since I flew a 414 but my POH says hitting “alt” should engage alt hold immediately at the place you hit the button, not that it enables the pitch wheel. 

I let it climb for over 1000’ over the preselected altitude; from what I remember hit the “arm” button on the selector, when it gets to the selected altitude the “cap” light comes on and the “alt” light illuminates in the selector and the aircraft levels off. In the meantime use the pitch wheel to select your attitude during climb (which should also affect the pitch bar on the ADI). 

I will try and make a film of the  turn behavior tomorrow. Literally have it trimmed out, FD and HDG selected, climbing (5 dev nose up, give or take), and start a turn. It banks into the turn but doesn’t keep the nose up and slows or goes negative VS. 

thanks,

ILS ranging seems to be wonky. Not only am I not always able to pick up a decent signal at expected range, but when I do pick it up, the autopilot stops tracking the glideslope well before minimums.

STR:

1) Fly the KPDX ILS 28R approach with a NACIY transition using TDS GT750NXi. That should give you a hold entry at NACIY in lieu of a procedure turn. In my case I was flying in from KRNT with the approach loaded and activated immediately upon departure.

2) Confirm NAV 1 active frequency is set to 111.3

3) Arm approach mode turning inbound out of the hold at NACIY.

EXPECTED:

NACIY is only 14.1 nm from the runway so Nav 1 should be picking up the localizer from there. With LOC armed and GS armed, localizer capture should happen immediately upon turning back inbound to NACIY. Glideslope capture should happen somewhere around OMMSI and CDI should auto-switch to VLOC and fly the approach.

ACTUAL:

The localizer isn't in range at NACIY. The approach continues and the audible "Vertical Track" prompt can be heard, but the neither the localizer nor the glideslope are ever captured and no descent is initiated. Interestingly, if I tune NAV2 to the localizer it seems to find it once I'm past the airport on the miss. It is almost as if something is backwards?

Also, when flying ILSs where the capture has worked, the autopilot will fly the approach for a while, but then lose the glidepath. At both KPAE ILS 16R and KBFI ILS 14R, I was able to get successful capture and the autopilot correctly flew the glideslope for a while, but then I'd notice that it would lose the glideslope, say, below a 1000 feet, and start going low. 

[EDIT] Looks like the problem may be elsewhere. I was able to reproduce this with the Arrow III and the TDS GT750Nxi, so at least the KPDX piece is not specific to the Cessna 414. [/EDIT]

Edited by geoffda
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Clark said:

Ok, I admit it’s been 10 years since I flew a 414 but my POH says hitting “alt” should engage alt hold immediately at the place you hit the button, not that it enables the pitch wheel. 

I let it climb for over 1000’ over the preselected altitude; from what I remember hit the “arm” button on the selector, when it gets to the selected altitude the “cap” light comes on and the “alt” light illuminates in the selector and the aircraft levels off. In the meantime use the pitch wheel to select your attitude during climb (which should also affect the pitch bar on the ADI). 

I will try and make a film of the  turn behavior tomorrow. Literally have it trimmed out, FD and HDG selected, climbing (5 dev nose up, give or take), and start a turn. It banks into the turn but doesn’t keep the nose up and slows or goes negative VS. 

thanks,

@Flysimware See this post^

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

49 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

4)not seeing that

5) haven't looked yet

thanks,

3 hours ago, jfwharton said:

I am not able to reproduce that issue.  I have tried with several liveries and tried starting the left engine first, then the right and visa versa.  When starting either engine first only the oil pressure gauge for that engine moves and the other remains at zero.  I would like to know, however, why the manifold pressure gauge reads 25 when the engines are not running.

Hmm. Always repro for me. I'm using the N100JD livery for the TDS GT750NXi. You may need to increase the throttle a bit to get the temps to come up quickly, but for me I'm watching both gauges change in tandem with only one engine running...I did have to reinstall this morning. I uninstalled first, but I wonder if maybe something got left behind....