Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Any new info on XP12 ground scenery / autogen?

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Do you know the posting history of rka and David Mills?

Let me guess: You found even more statements there with which you don't agree?

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

1 hour ago, Murmur said:

Well it was actually mentioned in the opening post, but apart from that, the first mention of MSFS was honestly admitting that XP12 scenery will not best MSFS one.

Do you know the posting history of rka and David Mills? I'm not posting into MSFS forums to shout: "your flight model sucks!".

You may not, and it’s not my cup of tea either, but Uwespeed and Mtaxp are pretty regular with the scorn on the MSFS forum. With the same, predictable consequences.

I don’t think any set of users are a model of restrained humility.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

14 minutes ago, rka said:

Let me guess: You found even more statements there with which you don't agree?

No, just trolling posts in the XP forum.

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

4 minutes ago, Murmur said:

No, just trolling posts in the XP forum.

That made me chuckle coming from the "XP is ahead in basically everything" party 🙂

• Like 2

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

4 minutes ago, rka said:

That made me chuckle coming from the "XP is ahead in basically everything" party 🙂

I think you have comprehension issues. I never made statements like that. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

You may not, and it’s not my cup of tea either, but Uwespeed and Mtaxp are pretty regular with the scorn on the MSFS forum. With the same, predictable consequences.

I don’t think any set of users are a model of restrained humility.

Only when the sorts of @abrams_tank(who is clearly lurking in here for those with the sharp eyes) keep spreading wrong information about x-plane with his nonesene, you can go check the last discussions I had there and see who does what and who starts mention x-plane and other simulators with some lots of BS.

Like frankly, last time it was about how VFR is done and then immediatly I got the usual responses, regardless of me talking about a genuine aviation practice. Don't act like you don't see how defensive people are around here for no apparent reason yeah? You can also check my very last post over there *defending* MSFS lighting.

Next time it's best to tag me instead btw if you want to mention me 🤔

Edited by mtaxp
  • Upvote 4

6 hours ago, tonywob said:

What you'll get instead is an improved version of XP11 with better lighting, clouds, ATC, water, default aircraft etc

I'm not so sure about that. I would be reasonably surprised if there is much of any XP11 scenery artwork left in XP12, they've been talking about and teasing overhauling it from before they started work on vulkan. From Austin "leaking" eastern europeans doing amazing things and wanting a realistic world for XP12 rather than the "plausible" one in XP11 to them demoing some lovely new oil drums for example way back when, but I wasnt pleased at that because perf was already so bad in those days. 

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

I guess I will just use FlightGear as both X-Plane and MSFS are awful and bound to die if I go by what I'm reading here 🤷‍♂️

FlightGear's community can be as toxic as this one. Just include a non-GPL licensed file somewhere that is remotely connected to the official repos.

2 hours ago, Murmur said:

FlightGear is often used as a joke being considered an inferior product, but it is an excellent flight simulator! It does several things better than both. I guess few people go in their forums to shout how better MSFS or XP are though. 😁

The best way to start a heated argument in their forums is discussing GPL licensing or stating that YaSim is better than JSBSim (or the other way around).

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

1 hour ago, Bjoern said:

FlightGear's community can be as toxic as this one. Just include a non-GPL licensed file somewhere that is remotely connected to the official repos.

The best way to start a heated argument in their forums is discussing GPL licensing or stating that YaSim is better than JSBSim (or the other way around).

LOL YaSim vs JSBSim arguments wouldn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

Regarding JSBsim and Flight Gear since it was mentioned, I should say that while it is a nice freeware alternative, flight dynamics wise unless one really has very detailled data it is as bad as fs9/Fsx...

I try FG from time to time, maybe once a year, but it's only for a couple of days / hours...

I still think that XP12 will offer a very powerful and upgraded FM, compared to that of XP11. Same for weather. 

Some messages I exchanged with Austin made clear to me that for instance weather modelling will be a good evolution from what Xp11 offers, and I found some of my long time requests, like effects of low or high temperature in altimetry modeled, and even some forms of convection. These will probably debut in XP12 long before we have them available / plausibly modeled in other platforms ( if that other platform in particular can ever do it properly... ).

Personally I also prefer a "standalone" solution for scenery over streamed ones, for various reasons such as being free from being online and havng to cope with huge downloads of data every month as I experienced in my home net, although for VFR I would like to have in XP12 some of the detail I see in MFS. If I have to choose between that and FM quality / consistency, I'll easily opt for the former, and in that particular area I  am almost sure XP is quite ahead.

Edited by jcomm
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 hours ago, mSparks said:

I'm not so sure about that. I would be reasonably surprised if there is much of any XP11 scenery artwork left in XP12, they've been talking about and teasing overhauling it from before they started work on vulkan. From Austin "leaking" eastern europeans doing amazing things and wanting a realistic world for XP12 rather than the "plausible" one in XP11 to them demoing some lovely new oil drums for example way back when, but I wasnt pleased at that because perf was already so bad in those days. 

Judging the screenshots and videos, it seems exactly like what @tonywob mentioned. An improved version of XP11.

• Like 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

31 minutes ago, tweekz said:

Judging the screenshots and videos, it seems exactly like what @tonywob mentioned. An improved version of XP11.

We have two or three "glipses" of what their art team, - 4 or 5 people I believe, have been working on for the last few years.

pywWo7I.png

and

A4r8qHP.png

There is no word on whether "thats it", or whether that is what they plan to be the new minimum standard everywhere. 

The last thing we have been told "officially" is

https://developer.x-plane.com/2022/05/x-plane-12-development-update-may-19-2022/

In Progress

• Complete data import/finish scenery tile generation.
    • We import piles and piles of data and then use it to create our global scenery. Due to the sheer size of this data, the import process alone takes several days

That doesn't sound to me like a simple road network and building footprint update on existing artwork. Yes, it could be. And yes, making art is hugely time consuming, and also yes, the really new stuff could come only in the next major version.

"its official" they don't have it built to show yet - that doesn't mean it hasn't had a major overhaul by at least 4 or 5 artists over the last - checks the date on his  default XP11 scenery files - Aug 21  2017 - 5 years.

Just saying I really wouldn't be so sure that the art assets are not getting a massive overhaul, just because they haven't said or shown much about what "new scenery tile generation" will look like. It would be true to LR form to drop that bombshell on us and let everyone else do the marketing, it would also be true to f'ing hard flight sim form that it goes horribly wrong and gets delayed another few years.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

AutoATC Developer

Just a quick note that I have both simulators by MS and LR  and DCS as well... I enjoy them as a user and as a scenery developer too. And I will get XP12...

I also follow graphic and world engines development out there... No more no less... I don't belong to any side but I admire evolution in any product I use and I hear about online.

That's it 🙂

Edited by Claviateur
  • Like 2

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

6 hours ago, Murmur said:

I think you have comprehension issues. I never made statements like that. 🤷‍♂️

Me, too (I mean the latter).

However, I have a suggestion: a thread with things which were proven already by hard mathematical, physical and other facts, should be pinned at the top of this subforum, so that we don't need to hash and rehash that forever. It would save all of us a lot of time. There is already such a thread. Although it was based on experience with FSX and not MSFS 2020, still nobody was able to falsify it since almost 6 months (neither for FSX nor for MSFS 2020). And with XP 12 it will get even worse (or better, depending on the viewpoint 😄). As already written in the a.m. thread, there is a LOT more. If someone is curious, ask me ...

And before some people are going mad again 🙃: the above linked thread is about SIMULATION of flight, not of scenery.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

7 hours ago, mtaxp said:

Next time it's best to tag me instead btw if you want to mention me

I know how to tag, but don’t need to when I’m really not interested in encouraging you to pipe up with exactly what you now have done; ‘when we do it, it’s just correcting a misinformation campaign against XP’.

Really, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea