Sign in to follow this  
rocketlaunch

The Fenix project, any news?

2 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

I have a good feeling, but I think anyone has to manage their expectations. There exists no monster-level realistic add on without any bugs and for like 80$. There have to be sacrifices made somewhere.

OK, I've looked into my crystal ball, and this is what I see...

After another two months of hype from the true believers, the Fenix releases in July at a keenly-priced $81, though this is still more than some optimists were expecting.

Unfortunately, the systems logic - in particular the VNAV - is based on Prosim, meaning that it's absolutely riddled with bugs. A simple autopilot activation causes the plane to inevitably auger in. The developers explain that it is an Early Adopter issue, but during the Continued Maintenance phase they will try to reinsert the default Asobo AP to improve safety and functionality.

As the months go by, they abandon this quest, declaring that their A320 has deeply-modelled, "always on" failures that surpass anything seen in a previous simulation.

Given the severity of these problems, enthusiasm for the product amongst Avsim users is muted, though some still claim it is "the BEST AIRBUS EVER", presumably as they - just like in the pre-release period - have never used it. 

Ultimately, the majority of sim pilots consider it to be the second biggest disappointment of the year, exceeded only by the "external model - no cockpit" Xbox/PC PMDG 777 (though they promise that a cockpit will be coming 'soon').

😉

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I am interested to see these new innovations.

I'm disappointed the Fenix bus, as far as we know, won't have service based failures like the Maddog or PMDG. The team confirmed last summer that they haven't decided on if they'd implement SBF's, but they've intentionally ignored every person who asked about it over the past few months.

Part of the 'realism' for me with high fidelity sims is the need to do the checklists and form good habits, because you never know if the attitude indicator is going to roll on you during IMC or if the takeoff warning horn might stop working and not let you know you forgot to lower flaps. I really, really wish Aamir would spend some dev time getting service based failures into the product for release.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

26 minutes ago, WestAir said:

I'm disappointed the Fenix bus, as far as we know, won't have service based failures like the Maddog or PMDG. The team confirmed last summer that they haven't decided on if they'd implement SBF's, but they've intentionally ignored every person who asked about it over the past few months.

Part of the 'realism' for me with high fidelity sims is the need to do the checklists and form good habits, because you never know if the attitude indicator is going to roll on you during IMC or if the takeoff warning horn might stop working and not let you know you forgot to lower flaps. I really, really wish Aamir would spend some dev time getting service based failures into the product for release.

their com is so opaque now, that you could expect everything, or nothing at all

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, WestAir said:

A lot of it is already on their web site/blog.  I keep telling you guys to go and look but no one ever does...lol

I'm thinking of running a contest for anyone who can tell me what new things are there that aren't on the other products from either P3D (from FSL and PMDG) or the new sim and I'll buy them the stinking thing when it comes out.  🤪

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

2 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

A lot of it is already on their web site/blog.

Last month Aamir said he had new things to show us. They're not new if they were shown in last years blog posts.

Edited by WestAir

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

2 hours ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

A lot of it is already on their web site/blog.  I keep telling you guys to go and look but no one ever does...lol

I'm thinking of running a contest for anyone who can tell me what new things are there that aren't on the other products from either P3D (from FSL and PMDG) or the new sim and I'll buy them the stinking thing when it comes out.  🤪

I tried watching some of their videos but basically fell asleep after 10 minutes. 

18 minutes ago, WestAir said:

Last month Aamir said he had new things to show us. They're not new if they were shown in last years blog posts.

Correct, they haven't shown the latest update yet, but what has already been shown is already well and above what is currently being offered by any aircraft.  What Amir is talking about what else is coming,  who knows.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

6 hours ago, Krakin said:

If she says she's not being paid, there's no reason to believe otherwise. Maybe she's excited about the project because shes a part of something that could be a game changer. She's just a tester who gets "paid" by having access to the plane. Chewwy has said it is the best plane he's ever flown in any sim and he's a guy who has no problem bashing MSFS when he wants to. We can be skeptical but I don't think our skepticism should lead us to baseless speculation about people being dishonest.

Ah okay I didn‘t know she said she did not get paid. I was not implying she‘s lying, just that she might not be the most objective source.

3 hours ago, WestAir said:

I absolutely agree with the checklist stuff, but as long as it has a turnaround mode / saved panel state (buttons/switches as I left them) and some random failure mode, there is still plenty of reason to do the checklist. Did they say something about that?

1 hour ago, Fiorentoni said:

Ah okay I didn‘t know she said she did not get paid. I was not implying she‘s lying, just that she might not be the most objective source.

You are quite right. Paid or not, hand picked testers for a closed beta are hardly going to be the most objective source.

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Don't know why anyone would question Katiepilots word when there is another Beta tester who happens to be a RWP utters the same words as she. There is another known streamer that uses MSFS, X-Plane and P3D that is also a tester utters the same as they do. If Fenix comes out with a statement that they are ceasing development than why would I have a problem believing them. Just because they have shown no updates in a while doesn't mean they have abandoned it.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Don't know why anyone would question Katiepilots word when there is another Beta tester who happens to be a RWP utters the same words as she. There is another known streamer that uses MSFS, X-Plane and P3D that is also a tester utters the same as they do. If Fenix comes out with a statement that they are ceasing development than why would I have a problem believing them. Just because they have shown no updates in a while doesn't mean they have abandoned it.

You said it yourself: I have never seen a closed beta tester come out and say „well, it‘s okay, not great“ or „it is full of bugs, I have no idea how to solve that in reasonable time“. Due to the NDA and other considerations all you ever hear from closed beta testers - Fenix or others - is either nothing or some abstract praise without details, certainly no criticism or cautions.
That does not mean the Fenix is bad. I‘m just theorizing.

I could not think of anything better to test an A320 than the very people who fly it for a living and know all there is to know about the aircraft and how it operates from a pilots pov.

To feed the developers all its faults and just how it should be. All for free and in there own time with nothing more than in the interest to make this Airbus as good as the developerrs can make it.

But I see thats still not good enought for some of you. Because they not going to be the most "objective"....really....could not make it up. 

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Ther's a single and major definition of the Fénix A320.... although I believe that proggressively it has actually being materialized by the hand of that Superb freeware project named FBW...

Fénix is the addon that will bring, FOR GOOD! @NamCo ( Nuno ) to MFS 🙂

This says it all, evemn if 99,90 % of you don't understand 🙂

I'm an MFS addict already, flirting with that beautiful older XP, but FBW, now Leonardo MD and latter this Fénix, and whatever comes for the Soaring in MFS, are glueing me to this platfrm ike never before  MS FLIGHT 🙂

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

3 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

I agree with this.

The only "objective source" for me is the guy who bought this with his own money and does a review. Then, there's another honest abe review, then another....and that gives you the basis for making your own informed decision.

As I've already said: The "study level" FlybyWire is out right now, so why even spend a minute thinking about a plane who may or not come out in the near future.