Sign in to follow this  
Redge

MSFS Forum surpasses Prepar3D post count…

2 hours ago, espent said:

They said it would crash and burn like MS Flight and that we had to pay a monthly subscription fee and that we would never get advanced aircrafts..

and come advanced aircraft, that it would run like a slide show, and because of x-box it had to be a game, and xyz

• Like 5

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if MS dips into the commercial aviation market some time in the future with a MSFS variant.

commercial aviation software is a niche market, Microsoft is not known to go after niches. They want to dominate the game platform, after they lost the cell phone platform now it is full steam ahead against Sony's playstation. without x-box, I doubt we would have seen another version of flight simulator from Microsoft anytime soon. even for the pc version, every little MSFS update now has to go through some sort of x-box stuff. compared to "real games" that sell millions of copies on release day (Grand Theft Auto and many other AAA titles) FSX has always been a tiny niche and became useless for Microsoft, so they tried to squeeze the last drop out of it and discovered the deep military pockets of LM. who else would have been "Prepared" to put those millions on the table for a second hand fsx source code with the condition to sell to the commercial aviation market only?

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

28 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

When looking at the grand scheme of things, outside of sim tribalism in the home flight market and forums 🙂

I resent the implication that some of us are guilty of sim tribalism. It isn't our fault that our chosen sim is vastly superior to all others in every conceivable way.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

2 hours ago, espent said:

They said it would crash and burn like MS Flight and that we had to pay a monthly subscription fee and that we would never get advanced aircrafts...

You forgot the other guy who would post about 10 times a day that it was going to be a “plane game”. Remember him 😂😂

• Like 7

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, omarsmak30 said:

He is on a mission in other forums 👀

Just had a look over there and wowsa indeed he is, even more hilariously clownish... along with some other stalwarts and their usual talking points to comfort themselves.

• Like 6

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

We had a few clowns that came through here and they'll never be seen again.

We have AVSIM members with their own airplanes, cockpit builders, CFIs, and simmers that have been around since FS1.

If they didn't know they should have asked somebody. 😀

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Even staff here are guilty of sim tribalism and bias at times, don’t feel bad.😛

• Like 2

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

11 minutes ago, DJJose said:

We had a few clowns that came through here and they'll never be seen again.

Yeah, we handed out quite a few bans to some people who couldn’t control themselves back then.

• Like 1

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

3 hours ago, David Mills said:

I resent the implication that some of us are guilty of sim tribalism. It isn't our fault that our chosen sim is vastly superior to all others in every conceivable way.

Can you tell me something about the MSFS failure simulation and how vastly superior it is?

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

I cannot imagine that the "academic version" of p3d will be available in their next iteration.  I think that grey area in the licensing was only do-able due to MS  indifference, and I don't think they will indifferent any longer...  200 bucks or nothing.  

I used p3d, but only because at the time, it was either that or Xplane, and you know...  (gags while contemplating using Xplane) 😀

There's three choices:  A mass market  sim from a tiny division of a gargantuan corporation, a trust fund baby's lifetime vanity project, and a training platform for a military contractor.  Each of these approaches has definite advantages and disadvantages,  but the one where we end up with a sim made more with end users in mind is the mass market approach, unless you happen to perfectly align with the sensibilities of either Austin Meyer, or Lockheed Martin.  And I sure don't.

Edited by ShawnG
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cognita said:

.....it is a dedicated simulation platform aimed at military, fire/rescue, police, and corporate entities that have a need to script scenarios for training and planning purposes.....

And this is where a product like MSFS, which (hyperbolically) recreates every tree, bush and blade of grass, would truly shine.  Where graphics capabilities would be more important than aerodynamic fidelity.  I remember in the days of Asobo's weather preview (a preview not realised in the sim, unfortunately) thinking that their real-time weather simulations could be used to "game" responses to bushfires, for example.

I can easily see LM or its competitor someday switching to MSFS rather than ESP.  MSFS shares a disturbing amount of commonality (for a new sim) with the legacy simulations, from things like simconnect and the ability to port over old aircraft, and this could be a hidden, long-term, reason.

.....it is a dedicated simulation platform aimed at military, fire/rescue, police, and corporate entities that have a need to script scenarios for training and planning purposes.....

And this is where a product like MSFS, which (hyperbolically) recreates every tree, bush and blade of grass, would truly shine.  Where graphics capabilities would be more important than aerodynamic fidelity.  I remember in the days of Asobo's weather preview (a preview not realised in the sim, unfortunately) thinking that their real-time weather simulations could be used to "game" responses to bushfires, for example.

I can easily see LM or its competitor someday switching to MSFS rather than ESP.  MSFS shares a disturbing amount of commonality (for a new sim) with the legacy simulations, from things like simconnect and the ability to port over old aircraft, and this could be a hidden, long-term, reason.

6 hours ago, espent said:

They said it would crash and burn like MS Flight and that we had to pay a monthly subscription fee and that we would never get advanced aircrafts...

Yup, I remember those first posts as well. People basically saying it'll be like MS Flight. 

• Like 2

deleted

Edited by lzamm
double post