Sign in to follow this  
Redge

MSFS Forum surpasses Prepar3D post count…

1 hour ago, flying_carpet said:

The reason why McDonalds is so successful, is because of its good food. No specialty restaurant comes close to this - and that's the reason why they don't sell as much as McD 🤣.

What is your point?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

You forgot the other guy who would post about 10 times a day that it was going to be a “plane game”. Remember him 😂😂

Plane games are cool anyway, so it was a bit of a lame shot. 😉

• Like 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

9 hours ago, espent said:

They said it would crash and burn like MS Flight and that we had to pay a monthly subscription fee and that we would never get advanced aircrafts...

Oh boy, remember those early days. The subscription thing was so prevalent, some people just couldn't get it in their heads. Even had that one guy who thought the Game Pass was irrefutable proof that it would be a subscription only sim.

You felt like banging your head against the table reading some of the uninformed nonsense takes people had. Luckily they have all gone quiet now. 

• Like 8

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Given that MSFS does actually need an internet connection to be fully functional, it kind of IS a subscription sim. Last time I checked, my internet connection wasn't free; the fact that MSFS makes use of what most people would be paying for anyway for other reasons, still doesn't mean it is completely free to use it.

Alan Bradbury

1 minute ago, Chock said:

Given that MSFS does actually need an internet connection to be fully functional, it kind of IS a subscription sim. Last time I checked, my internet connection wasn't free; the fact that MSFS makes use of what most people would be paying for anyway for other reasons, still doesn't mean it is completely free to use it.

Well you could say the same thing for electricity, so my MSDOS-games back in the days were in a subscription model, too, I guess? 😄

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chock said:

So by that logic you're calling everything online a subscription to muddle the argument, be dishonest and to move the goalpost completely to fit a narrative. Got it. 

• Like 1

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

9 minutes ago, Sethos said:

So by that logic you're calling everything online a subscription to muddle the argument, be dishonest and to move the goalpost completely to fit a narrative. Got it. 

Well, yes I am saying that everything online requires a subscription to function, because it does. So what 'argument'? I'm not arguing anything, it is a fact that you do actually need to make some kind of regular payment to have MSFS function. Moreover, since this is my first post on this thread, it follows that I never actually placed the goalposts anywhere else prior to pointing this fact out, so I can hardly have moved them, can I?

It's not a point of contention for me. As I say, I and most other people would have an internet connection anyway, but it is nevertheless undeniable that the regular fairly large update downloads and the requirement for a decent streaming speed to leverage the streaming functions of MSFS do require a fairly decent, and not free, internet connection. Personally I think MSFS is great, always have from day one, but it ain't free to use it.

Edited by Chock

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

So if it’s not possible, the next option is to downplay it.

totally agree. what a childish behavior. initially MSFS had no pilots in it's team and indeed serious bugs in its autopilot department to make it look like a pretty Nintendo game so nothing to fear for Austin, but that got ironed out quickly.

and lets not forget: WorkingTitle alone has more man power (10 individuals) than the whole  x-plane team. impossible to compete with Microsoft/Asobo's over 200. x-plane has linux and iOS support instead. eat that, Joerg and Seabastian! 😊

• Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

5 minutes ago, Pathfinder633 said:

It grabbed the gamers thats all

And it's maybe not the best point for him to make really. Expanding the market to gamers and people who flew combat sims but were drawn in by the visuals has been a huge boon overall. There's fast food for those who just want that and it's probably the best fast food out there. But there's also some high end choices for those who want that. And the prices of the high end items got slashed thanks to the success of the former. This combination is usually holy grail stuff for a flight sim and a place most developers would like to be in.

I'm not knocking XP as it looks like a top class sim and I wish it well but it never grabbed me in the way MSFS did when I saw the previews. XP couldn't really convince me to leave DCS and try something new. MSFS blew my mind when I first saw it and got me hooked into a whole new ecosystem to the point it's where my money is going to be invested for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 3

Just now, Chock said:

Well, yes I am saying that everything online requires a subscription to function, because it does. So what 'argument'? I'm not arguing anything, it is a fact that you do actually need to make some kind of regular payment to have MSFS function. Moreover, since this is my first post on this thread, it follows that I never actually placed the goalposts anywhere else prior to pointing this fact out, so I can hardly have moved them, can I?

This is the most intellectually dishonest, bordering on criminally unintelligent take on something I've read on Avsim to date. That is quite the feat. 

Just now, turbomax said:

totally agree. what a childish behavior. initially MSFS had no pilots in it's team and indeed serious bugs in its autopilot department to make it look like a pretty Nintendo game so nothing to fear for Austin, but that got ironed out quickly.

and lets not forget: WorkingTitle alone has more man power (10 individuals) than the whole  x-plane team. impossible to compete with Microsoft/Asobo's over 200. x-plane has linux and iOS support instead. eat that, Joerg and Seabastian! 😊

What's the advantage of another sim just trying to follow in the same footsteps of MSFS ?

Personally I WANT X-Plane to go a different route and concentrate on different areas so it can offer me a distinct experience.

• Upvote 2

🤣🤣🤣

Some people just really make threads because  they want to post something ….

Just took off at EHAM,  going the LIMJ (Genoa) and had some time now to read the MSFS forum……

😂

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

3 minutes ago, Sethos said:

This is the most intellectually dishonest, bordering on criminally unintelligent take on something I've read on Avsim to date. That is quite the feat. 

Physician, heal thyself.

• Like 2

Alan Bradbury

4 minutes ago, Matchstick said:

Personally I WANT X-Plane to go a different route and concentrate on different areas so it can offer me a distinct experience.

Having terrain, objects, and landmarks that follows real life is the holy grail for a "flight simulator."  Heck, not just for a flight simulator. But the same for train simulator, truck simulator, etc.

Whether it's a flight simulator, train simulator, or truck simulator, you want the environment to reflect real life as best as possible.

So no, for a simulator, the only route is try better to match the environment in real life. This also includes the accurate placement of objects, landmarks, etc, in the simulator, as they appear in real life.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM