Sign in to follow this  
Beardyman

MSFS and GPU overclocking

Hi, would like to ask why MSFS is so sensitive for any GPU overclocking?

Even mild overclocking which is confirmed as ok by stress test cause MSFS to crash.

Any way to overcome that sensitiveness ?

Artur 

I have a GTX1080Ti which is factory overclocked and is rock solid with MSFS. No CTD for a good while now the sim seems more stable.

wonder whether your issues may be hardware related if you’re getting CTDs? Try Windows diagnostics for starters.
good luck  

8 minutes ago, rayharris108 said:

I have a GTX1080Ti which is factory overclocked

I do not refer to such situation - i mean overclocking using Afterburner soft.

7 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

After what length of time did the CTD occur ?

Immediately 

Artur 

23 minutes ago, Beardyman said:

Hi, would like to ask why MSFS is so sensitive for any GPU overclocking?

Even mild overclocking which is confirmed as ok by stress test cause MSFS to crash.

Any way to overcome that sensitiveness ?

Make sure you setup Afterburner profile correctly. Here is the best guide to follow IMO. I have my card OC'ed and have no issues at all. Also mine is watercooled.

tpewpb-6.png

In my experience, modern graphics cards are clocked so close to the limit, that it is not worth trying to squeeze any more out of them.  an extra 3 or 4 percent is just not worth the ballache, especially with msfs.  A few years back, I used to overclock my systems and get 15 to 20 percent extra, which was worth the effort.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

4 hours ago, Beardyman said:

Even mild overclocking which is confirmed as ok by stress test cause MSFS to crash. Any way to overcome that sensitiveness ?

You are probably using an old stress test that doesn't heavily load parts of the graphics card MFS uses. I had the same issue with COD WZ, everything else was stable but COD would fall over after a few minutes.

There is no way to overcome it, you have to decrease your overclock or increase the voltage. But there's a limit to that, eventually memory will just fail to keep up with the overclock frequency.

• Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

4 hours ago, Beardyman said:

I do not refer to such situation - i mean overclocking using Afterburner soft.

Immediately 

which GPU do you have? I also used afterburner to run the OC test (took some 30mins) and it did adjust "something" (says "curve" for core but no idea which one 😉, and +200 for memory ) and it works just fine here

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

2 hours ago, DAD said:

which GPU do you have? I also used afterburner to run the OC test (took some 30mins) and it did adjust "something" (says "curve" for core but no idea which one 😉, and +200 for memory ) and it works just fine here

GTX1660.

With 3 digit numbers for overclocking MSFS crashes even stress tests are ok

Artur 

I have no such issues overclocking when i had an  RTX2080 Super with afterburner. Chips used in graphics cards are binned for quality. Low quality binned parts will have little headroom to overclock. Better binned parts have more headroom and based on the quality of the rest of the components in your rig can be overclocked as long as you IDENTIFY AND RESPECT its limits. Mind you the RTX series does not have much headroom to work with so do not expect massive overclocks. On the other hand RDNA2 seems to be able to handle a decent overclock.

This is a trial and error process using software like 3dmark to initially test your settings for a bit then trying it in the sim. In my example , The standard 6800xt has a boost clock of 2250mhz .. My Card has a factory overclock that brings it to 2340mhz and i am still able to safely overclock on top of that to well over 2500mhz. All of which runs perfectly stable in the sim.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

I used to have issues with overclocking MSFS specifically, other Sims/Games ran perfectly fine but this one would buckle at the knees. That was a while ago though so it may of got better since, may give it another go one day.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

4 hours ago, MarcG said:

I used to have issues with overclocking MSFS specifically, other Sims/Games ran perfectly fine but this one would buckle at the knees. That was a while ago though so it may of got better since, may give it another go one day.

You may try it again. While my 3060 is just mildly oc‘ed, my i5 runs at 4.7. and all rock stable. Since msfs release I only had 2 or 3 CTDs, last one must be months ago. Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones though

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

Having tried to oc my RTX3070 with little success, I may have another go at oc ing my 5600X, though I'm not holding out much hope.  MSFS won't be able to cope with too much oc ing eapecially during the warmer summer months.

My CPU and GPU run quite cool in the winter but the summer is a different matter.  Even the slightest of ocs on either crash quite quickly without temps going very high.  Neither are throttling, they just crash.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

32 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Having tried to oc my RTX3070 with little success

Yeah my (factory overclocked) RTX3070 does not really overclock any higher than out of the box. I can get a smidgeon more out of the VRAM then GPU but not worth doing.  To be honest if you are only getting a few percent overclock you are only getting street cred among your mates you will barely notice the difference for all the effort.

What I did discover by fiddling is leaving it at factory settings but under volting I was able to knock about 5 degrees off the temps with identical performance and while still stable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1