Sign in to follow this  
Kassu62

SIM Update 10 Beta and VR

i haven't flown msfs for a few months and ive probably now lost my bindings as usual :S so i'm happy to take one for the team and be a guineapig

13gig download

- i didn't lose my bindings!!

- menus are clearer/sharper

- DX11 performance overall has improved. id say 5% or so, maybe more 

- haven't yet had to do the drop render scale / up render scale trick before flight to cure initial jitters  still does it

- reflections in glass windows i've never noticed before??

- to me it still looks too dark and washed out in overcast conditions (like there's always a slight fog/haze)  - turning PC gfx DX12 mode on improves it slightly but still looks wrong to me

- same old mixed up random blurry objects at different distances, like close runway lights or part of a building, a car etc. but rest look clearer. One distant mountain looks clearer than another yet same distance away. Distant trees seem to render differently in each eye and some look partially transparent, same for some near objects (brain says somethings wrong and it makes my eyes water) 

- if turning on DX12 in PC gfx options, my performance drops a fair bit but lighting looks better. Lots or random polygons errors, similar to an overclocked GPU (not overclocking anything), strange blue squares on ground and checkerboard effect. Apart from that everything does look a little better (overall clarity, sharpness and dynamic range)

will add more as i go

Edited by dogmanbird

Is enabling dx12 in the 2d PC graphics options all that's needed to enable it in VR?

- I can't seem to get the world scale setting to save. It works but is lost after a restart. Other settings are retained. It's maximum setting is 130%.  It needs several percent more to achieve the same scaling as OXRToolkit's value, if trying to increase the scale.

Edited by dogmanbird

Enabled DX12  in PC settings, but sim CTD as soon as I go in VR.

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

21 hours ago, Rene_Feijen said:

Enabled DX12  in PC settings, but sim CTD as soon as I go in VR.

Same here. I have 1080 ti and HP Reverb G2.

I emptied the community folder and deleted OpenXR Toolkit ( I already had it switched off in-app) and DX12 now runs. But: with pauses every half second or so. And without DLSS selected: I dont see it as an option in VR or PC menu. I do see TAA etc as options, and to the right is the info about Nvidia DLSS, but I dont see the option itself. And I do have a RTX 3090.

EDIT: Maybe latest NVIDIA driver update will help. Downloading it now. I have 512.95 at the moment.

Edited by Rene_Feijen

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

DX12 is still in beta itself and will be for a while yet, I keep checking in with it but it's a stuttery mess and then the graphical issues start!

DX11 works just fine for me for the most part, still get occasional stutters/lags but I can live with them.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I wish they'd fix the constant aerosol / smoke-haze look in VR. I think the game looks superb in 2d under the same weather conditions

I probably wouldn't be as fussy if it wasn't for the openXR-composite mod that has improved DCS VR performance so dramatically. If MSFS could achieve DCS clarity, lighting dynamic range and maintain at least it's current FPS, it would be terrific 🙂

Edited by dogmanbird
  • Upvote 1

On 7/10/2022 at 6:52 AM, mbucchia said:

Omg this is the same YouTuber spreading misinformation again. My post on the flight sim forum (link above) is the sole source for what works/what does not work.

As it's not stated here, for those who don't know - Matthieu Bucchianeri (mbucchia) is the dev of OpenXR toolkit. He is therefore a rather good source of information on this subject! 🙂

I know I've personally found it hard to work out what's going on with SU10 and VR/OpenXR. I'd suggest that it's worth following Matthieu's advice and checking out the linked thread to avoid confusion - his first post explains exactly what is and isn't working right now.

Thanks Matthieu for your amazing tool - it's added a great deal to my MSFS VR experience and is greatly appreciated.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

9 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

I wish they'd fix the constant aerosol / smoke-haze look in VR. I think the game looks superb in 2d under the same weather conditions

I probably wouldn't be as fussy if it wasn't for the openXR-composite mod that has improved DCS VR performance so dramatically. If MSFS could achieve DCS clarity, lighting dynamic range and maintain at least it's current FPS, it would be terrific 🙂

So the exterior lighting when inside the cockpit is still to bright and washed out?

I'd heard elsewhere that this was a lot better in SU10?

James W

Banner_FS2Crew_Supporter.jpg

11 hours ago, severniae said:

So the exterior lighting when inside the cockpit is still to bright and washed out?

For me that aspect is improved: when in the PMDG B737 cockpit the outside now looks not too bright, I can see all details in the clouds again, instead of them being bright white blobs with a cloud outline.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, severniae said:

I tested in the Bell 47g and Cessna. It looks as I remember last flying it prior to update 10

4 hours ago, dogmanbird said:

I tested in the Bell 47g and Cessna. It looks as I remember last flying it prior to update 10

I'm guessing it's dependent on what aircraft you fly. In the 737 the windows are rather small, so there's more contrast between interior and exterior lighting. In the Bell the difference is nowhere near as big because of the huge windows that are basically all around you. Any change in the adaptation effect is probably more noticeable in any aircraft with small windows.

In any case, the effect is definitely way too intense in the 737 on SU9 and it's very good to hear it's been reduced so you can actually see the touchdown zone markers on landing in sunny weather. 🤪

Edited by threegreen
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Regarding the dynamic range comment I made above, I'm referring to the games ability to not make darks too dark and brights too bright, when both of those are on the screen at the same time (which others have dubbed as HDR). Other games seem to manage this fine (without actual HDR), so I'm guessing MSFS is using something built into DX11 and 12 to save from custom coding it for the game? (which doesn't manage this well?)

Edited by dogmanbird

I noticed I've been around 7-10 fps less than I had been in my normal testing area after installing SU10.  After seeing a tip from a couple other users experiencing the same in the official forums, I decided to uninstall the Bijan tree mod per their advice, and I immediately got my frames back.  So, I'm thinking the mod probably needs an update of some sort.  Hopefully an easy fix as it's such a great addon.

Just a heads up to anyone who might be experiencing the same.

• Like 1

Pie in the Sky about a week ago released a video expounding the VR performance benefits of using the DLSS feature of SU10 beta.  I followed his advice to install it, and for me the results are fantastic!  Though I'm getting the same FPS as pre-SU10 beta, and maybe a tiny bit higher in places, the big improvements for me (though I don't use a lot of addon scenery or airports) are:

• No more shimmering ground objects, anywhere or at any time!!!!
  • Clearer instrument readouts in the cockpit

Both of these now mitigated issues were my bane since I began using VR, and with DLSS "Quality" they are no more...well worth the hassle of joining the beta.  As far as smoothness goes, it's really smooth with a 44 fps driver frame limit, which is just as it was with SU9 with all the same other settings (see my specs in my signature).   Using DX11, now back to flying!

Edited by TheFamilyMan

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)