Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Flat Screen or Curved for MSFS?

I've always used a 30 inch Samsung monitor for flight sims but now with MSFS 2020 would a 32 inch curved screen be a better choice vs the flat screen? For those pilots that have a curved screen for MSFS I would like to hear what you think about it. I don't have MSFS yet but going to purchase it soon. 

Regards

Lamar Wright

I prefer a curved screen.

1000 curve : a lot of curve.

1500 curve: not so much of a curve.

1800 curve: the curvature is greatly reduced, but still there.

Shooting gamers (FPS) love the 1000. You can see the peripheral sneaking enemies easier without shifting your eyes. Office workers dealing with text, like flat monitors, usually. 

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I am also looking to upgrade my 16:9 flatscreen monitor to a curved ultra widescreen 21:9, and I am interested in other's impressions that went from a 16:9 to a 21:9 curved monitor.  

• Like 1

Gary M.

| PPL ASEL |

System Specs: W11 Pro, Corsair 4000X Mid Tower, Z790 Aorus Master Motherboard, i9-13900KF, 64 GB DDR5 SRAM, RTX 4090, Dell AW3821DW Monitor, Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, MFG Crosswind Pedals,TrackIR

just moved from 4K 32” 16:9 Dell Ultrasharp IPS to Alienware 34” Ultrawide 21:9 curved QD-OLED,

the subtle curve does help & the QD-OLED provides stunning graphics with MFS & the increased 34” width also helps,

another plus is my 2080Ti is now only driving about 5 megapixels,

a welcome upgrade overall…

• Like 1

I have been using a Samsung Odyssey 49" G( Curved Gaming Monitor for about six months now and absolutely LOVE it. It has raised the immersion factor for my sim flying several levels. It is 5140x1440 resolution, and the colors and picture are vibrant and sharp. The monitor has several other features and enhancements that are not found on lesser monitors. It is on the more expensive side, but you can find it on sale since it has been out for a few years now. I got mine on Amazon for about $300 under the MSRP. Great monitor and I would not go back to a flat screen after using this.

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

I use a 32" 1440p (2K) curved HDR monitor for MSFS. Works well for me.

Note that it is now well worthwhile getting HDR for MSFS, the game finally supports it properly and it looks amazing in HDR.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1

In short - I’m on a curved 34” and I love it.  I used to think it was a bit of a gimmick but you don’t get sore eyes because your focal length is never changing. 

• Like 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

I went from triple 1920s to a single curved 3440 and was very happy...until I tried VR...gave away the 3440!

Try VR before spending any money - if it's for you (doesn't suit everyone) then a big screen will have just wasted your money.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I bought a Samsung G7 32" its stunning. Huge curve put perfect as your eyes dont need to re-focus all the time when siting nice and close.

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

4 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I use a 32" 1440p (2K) curved HDR monitor for MSFS. Works well for me.

Note that it is now well worthwhile getting HDR for MSFS, the game finally supports it properly and it looks amazing in HDR.

My main issue with hdr is how much of a nuisance screenshots are. Also snipping. 

• Like 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I bought a curved 27" monitor, but returned it immideately because the straight edges of the cockpit geometry appear to be curved as well. It is especially noticeable near the top and bottom of the screen. I found it to be immersion breaking. A matter of personal taste, I guess. But that's something to keep in mind before going for a curved screen. 

• Like 3

I’m on a curved 35” and It's great in flight sim and other games as well.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

4 hours ago, keithb77 said:

I went from triple 1920s to a single curved 3440 and was very happy...until I tried VR...gave away the 3440!

Try VR before spending any money - if it's for you (doesn't suit everyone) then a big screen will have just wasted your money.

I fully agree with you. No need to ever worry about flat screens any more!

• Like 1

Felix