Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Always thought with a smile...

1 hour ago, David Mills said:

Why the sulking, embittered attitude? Why do you come over here to the MSFS forum just to stir hostility? You seem to have deluded yourself into the irrational fantasy that you can definitionally wipe away MSFS's obvious superiority and domination over XP. But word selection (game, simulator, software, etc.) does not affect empirical reality. "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." You're embittered because MSFS is stealing the show, and justifiably so. This forum gets more posts in one hour than the XP forum gets in a month. MSFS is a masterpiece of software engineering. It is vastly superior to XP visually. And it is vastly superior to XP in terms of performance. The retort that XP has a better "flight model" has become a Tourette-like, obsessive-compulsive, fetishistic tic from those watching an antiquated piece of software attempt a dead-cat bounce with the XP12 beta.

Seriously David?   You read all that from my, just noting something...that I am embittered.  Stirring hostility?  Wow!!!!   Rather way over the top...David...seriously got your product defensive panties in a huge knot....wow!

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

That M.S., when starting the sim...at the bottom right of the opening still screen, calls MSFS a 'game', and not 'starting--> simulator<--'.   Sort of suggests the overall mindset of MSFS?

Always makes me smile...for the outright wars some have here, as to whether MSFS is after all, a flight game...or uh...a serious simulator of the physics of flight.   M.S. feels it's a game, it seems lol!

Ses

I think they call everything connected to XBox a game. Because it is a gaming console. And the money went into the simulation by TWO reasons: (1) Promoting the XBox, (2) Old love for flight simulation.

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

Here is another one game vs sim!

If you crash in the sim you fail your proficiency check/exam/training. Start over again! Instructor is not happy - stress level high!

If you crash in a game restart, start over - no consequences, no stress, may be little ego damage LOL )

• Like 2

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Interestingly, Wikipedia classifies sim software as "Simulation video game. A simulation video game describes a diverse super-category of video games, generally designed to closely simulate real world activities."

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_video_game#:~:text=A simulation video game describes,%2C prediction%2C or simply entertainment.

• Like 1

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

19 hours ago, Sesquashtoo said:

You would think...but again,  M.S. calls it a game.   Would it not have been just as easy, as to reinforce the notion that the offering is more than another video game (of flight) ,  by saying...starting on the Start Screen....Simulator rather than what it does say...starting Game...  Just thought that was an interesting take, by no other than M.S. themselves... 🙂

MicroSoftFlightSimulator 🙂

Honestly...I do not really care about the "game" tag. 

For me counts, does it make fun to use and are my requirements met. 

And they are! What a beautiful world they have delivered for us. 

And since SU10 Beta, (VR is) smooth as never bin before. 

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

On 7/19/2022 at 4:43 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

whether MSFS is after all, a flight game...or uh...a serious simulator of the physics of flight.

What amazes me is that people keep starting threads to rekindle the fights. 😉

MSFS is whatever you make of it. Want to be a hardcore simmer? Sure. Want to see if you can land a 747 at St. Baarts? Sure, go for it, even if you're a real-life 747 pilot.

Honestly, this constant dickering about labels and how people apparently think something's name changes its nature is a great example of a central flaw in society. We're so much more worried about what things say and look like than what they are. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just for the record, none of the flight sims ever sold for home use remotely qualify as flight simulators in the technical sense.

https://www.njaeroclub.org/post/the-different-kinds-of-simulators-explained-batd-aatd-ffs-ftd

For those who might be interested, here's a list of FAA approved Aviation Training Devices, the lowest rung of the flight simulation ladder

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afx/afs/afs800/afs810/media/FAA_Approved_Airplane_ATDs.pdf

Presumably similar lists exist for other licensing authorities. It would not surprise me if any of the home flight sims might be integrated into an ATD, but probably only for a relatively simple aircraft, e.g., C172. It also wouldn't surprise me if pilots at all levels make use of the home sims for refresher training of one sort or another. None are so approved, however.

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

Guys in straw hats wearing coin change belts, wander around the floor at E3.

"Programs! Programs! Get your official program! You can't tell the games from the sims without a program!"

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:18 PM, David Mills said:

... It is vastly superior to XP visually. ...

That's (partly) correct, and by even emphasizing "visually" you confirmed (indirectly) XP's obvious superiority and domination over MSFS in (almost) every other aspect. Thanks a lot for this service 😊.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

I begin to wonder if all these posts are actually planted/kicked off by the FSB (and I don't mean the Federation of Small Business) <grin>

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:48 PM, mpo910 said:

And since SU10 Beta, (VR is) smooth as never bin before. 

How's the clarity?😶

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

52 minutes ago, Dillon said:

How's the clarity?😶

I use DLSS at quality mode and this has following:

- Higher FPS compared to TAA

- Slightly "softer" image (scenery, but this was already updated in the latest second Beta Build and got sharper now, not something that bothered me, because not fuzzy or grainy)

- Way LESS shimmering on textures, especially textures with small lines (Apron Lamps, Glass Fassades etc.)

- ATM, in BETA, a bit fuzzy galsspanels, but with my Varjo Aero at 37PPD no issue, its like 4k in the headset!

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png