Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

The Big Bang Didn't Happen?

Big bang happened or not, what can be said for certain is it doesn't stop there, as something "banged" so the story goes back further than that time scale in either case. Eternal shouldn't be kept that far from imagination.

7 hours ago, birdguy said:

I've never had anything like these experiences happen to me.  I can only relate what I was told by my mom and my wife.  I think some of us are more attuned to psychic phenomena than others.

Noel 

My dad would have considered himself totally out-of-tune with paranormmal phenomenabut a month or so after getting out of hospital - he had suffered a stroke - he was talking about a nurse on his ward "...and I could see she wasn't long dead." I'd only been half-listening and got him to back up and repeat, and he said he saw a nurse in old-fashioned headgear standing on the curtain rail of the bed opposite his, looking down at him and smiling.

He must have had a thing for smiling women because he told us on another occasion that on another occasion he woke to see a woman standing over the bed at home looking down at my mother and smiling. My mother freaked out "I don't want to hear about it!" His attitude was, hey she was smiling so what's the problem, but my mother didn't want to hear anythig about spirits, fowning, smiling, or cracking up laughing. He wasn't imaginitive that way and had no interest in the paranormal at all.

I'm skeptical but open-minded and I've worked in one office which I do believe was haunted, and also saw something very odd one night down at our local hardour, where someone was walking towards me along the pier and then vanished behind some fishing nets and never reappeared even though there was nowhere else for him to go.

• Like 1

Well I've told my ghost story before several times...  I feel like everyone knows it already but the whole reason I ever shared it was in the hopes that it would get some people to acknowledge our 'science' has very limited eyesight and doesnt even want to look for things that are very much certainly there (where? ).

My story is from when I was a teenager and we were in the habit of going to this old church.  It was supposed to be haunted but we had never seen anything until this one night.  We were walking up from one corner of the property and I see this odd purplish mist unfurl itself (really dont know how to describe what I saw) from behind a tombstone and it became an erect black translucent figure that was like a shadow you'd see on the ground under a full moon.  I saw it rise up and float across the ground and pause for a second and then head towards a large tree on the property and thats when Derrick, on the far right, said "Did you see that?" and my friend Eddy between me and Derrick to my right, said something to the effect of " you mean a shadow that came up from there and floated over there?" pointing to the top of the hill and then Derrick said something to the effect of "yeah, and then it floated towards that tree"... and all this time this is what I was seeing but I hadn't said a word.  Derrick took off running toward the thing and Eddy followed and I reluctantly followed.  The thing went past the tree a bit and then went and tried to hide where an old outhouse used to be.  I think one of our other friends may have been the one to tear that outhouse down -- not sure.  And it really looked like it was trying to hide.  It was clearly trying to get away from Derrick and Eddy.  It realized it couldnt hide in the outhouse when Derrick and Eddy changed there trajectory so as to follow the thing and it went from there up to the edge of the old church where it just vanished.

I get the feeling that we may already be part of wherever it is that 'ghosts' are.  I think we are ghosts with physical substance and its the ghost part that has the connections to one another and/or knowledge that we couldn't/shouldn't have.  I read not too long ago about a science experiment involving a medium conducting a seance and the use of a geiger counter which picked up unusual radiation in a spot that the medium claimed was a spirit.  Who knows how much we don't know?  not I.

I think most people 'rest' and thats why the world isn't teeming with ghosts but some are either lost or just don't want to move on and those are what we would call 'ghosts'.  

• Like 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

I've had things happen...

But I'm a skeptic and barely even believe myself, even though I was there.

My mother was moving us to a new apartment, and I was sent to pick up some bags of clothes and small items from the old place. (where previous odd things had happened)

Anyway, I was in a side room digging through some things, when the light suddenly dimmed and took a sickly yellow color (This had happened before, accompanied by the appearance of zillions of blowfly's that completely covered the kitchen walls until you could barely see through to the paint. They disappeared completely when the light returned to normal)

In this instance, the light changing colors was accompanied by the sound of a car crash occurring at the front of the building, also accompanied by the sound of a metallic tire rim from the incident rolling loudly across the pavement.

Being a young kid, I dashed out of the apartment and started jumping down the stairs one landing at at time.

When I reached the second floor, I heard a car crash happening.

The exact same sound I had heard previously; the screech of a vehicle skidding, followed by the bang of collision and with the sound of the rolling rim.

When I reached the first floor and stepped out the door, I found an accident that had just happened, and the people just opening their doors to get out of their car.

It seemed I had heard the incident before it actually happened.

And boy, was I happy we were leaving that apartment! 😅

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

In a trailer I once lived in there were little jumping spiders.  They were hyperactive little things - about 1/4 inch in diameter --  if you got too close to them they would jump on you.

At the time I slept on a small mattress on the floor and on the wall, near the ceiling, above the bed, was a flourescent blacklight fixture that they used to sell for people like me.  One night I was having a dream --  but I didn't know it was a dream because it was me laying in my bed and I was watching this small black spot above me where the wall met the ceiling.  It was obviously a small bug but I wasn't sure if it was one of those spiders or not.  It seemed to move too slowly but it was round like they were.  I kept watching as it slowly moved very small amounts basically in the same spot.

Suddenly as I watched the spot started to grow and it grew much faster and it grew huge and then fell on top of me.  In my dream I screamed and put out my arms to try and stop it.

and then I became concious -- and I was doing a push up off of my bed and the blacklight had just fallen where my head just was.

How could I have seen that as I was laying on my stomach...asleep.  

• Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

6 hours ago, sightseer said:

and then I became concious -- and I was doing a push up off of my bed and the blacklight had just fallen where my head just was.

How could I have seen that as I was laying on my stomach...asleep. 

You may not have been fully asleep. There are various stages of sleep. Hemispheric sleep is known about in some animals, where half the brain sleeps while the other half keep watch. Its suggested that this can happen in humans at times too. Usually when sleeping in a new place, but not always. 

Also, its known that danger can arouse us from sleep.  Its a survival mechanism. And time, when we dream, is not corelated to our perception of time when awake. It may have seemed like a significant amount of time that you were dreaming before waking up but in reality your brain probably  interpreted the external threat and process of waking up as a dream  and created it in an instant.

Something similar happened to me when I was 8 years old and in hospital after an appendix operation. I dreamt that I was in a field playing with a ball with some other children. We had lost the ball and one of the children found it in the grass and picked it up. She then turned to me and in slow motion moved the ball closer and closer to my face. It got so close that all I could see in my dream was a big silver ball in front of my face. At that moment I woke up and in reality that silver ball was the tip of the nurse's thermometer in front of my face. Pretty sure my brain had detected the thermometer heading toward my face and in accelerated time had constructed the entire dream. In real time it must have been just a couple of seconds.

The brain is an incredible organ. 86 billion neurons, 100 trillion connections, the most complex arrangement of matter we know of... until we meet an alien with an even more complex brain. 😺

As for lying on your stomach. Your head was on its side so you can thank peripheral vison.  And your ears probably heard the impending doom. Or you happen to be psychic. 😀

Edited by martin-w

15 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

It seemed I had heard the incident before it actually happened.

Weird. Especially the blowfly's covering the wall. Had you eaten a chicken and mushroom pie with hallucinogenic shrooms? 

I've told my precognition story before, but here it is again.

I was about 17 or 18 and sitting on the floor in the lounge watching a British TV show called World of Sport. Suddenly in my mind I saw an image of an old friend from school, his name was Paul. In my mind he was walking down the drive with his swimming shorts wrapped in a towel, like sausage. This was an old Victorian terraced house with a high bay window and from my location on the floor it was not possible to see down the drive.

I'm not sure how much time elapsed but soon after I glanced up at the bay window and there he was walking past the window toward the front door. I greeted him at the door and sure enough, he had his swimming shorts wrapped up in a towel under his arm. Worth remembering that I hadn't seem him for  a very long time and he wasn't in the  habit of catching the bus and traveling all the way to my house.

Coincidence probably, but it does make one think.  

• Like 1

There was no big bang.

If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Mystery solved😂

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

1 hour ago, GaryK said:

There was no big bang.

If a tree falls in the forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Mystery solved😂

No!   Back on topic, Please!  Enough of the ghost stories! 👻

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 8/31/2022 at 1:10 PM, charliearon said:

This forum's new name "The Twilight Zone"!  😳

Yeah it has weird holes here and there. Like for instance we should believe something because some principle tells us that it should be or must be true, LOL.

I don't hike up to tall cliffs and refrain from jumping off because of some principle warns not to do that. But because experience and reason tells me not to do that. Principles can come and go, back and forth, in and out and then back in style. But throwing a stone, watching, and using reason before jumping is almost sure to be a better guide.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

24 minutes ago, Fielder said:

and using reason before jumping is almost sure to be a better guide.

Now, if only folks would use reason before standing on the edge of a cliff and taking a selfie before falling off.

Fortunately, there is no risk to life and limb by believing the Big Bang happened or didn't happen. For most or all of us, it's just some abstract concept giving rise to friendly debate.

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 2

Dugald Walker

There are many things that we must take on faith because somebody else who has been educated on the subject tells us so.

I never read Macbeth, but when someone quotes a phrase from Shakespear's play I believe it because the person who said it said they read it.

I had no idea how a radio or vacuum tubes or transistors worked until I went to Air Force electronics school.  I can tell somebody how they work in simple terms (more or less) because I was taught.

The same goes for physics.  There are things I don't understand and never will, but I will take the word of physicists because they have studied and researched the subject.

I was going to take a course in quantum mechanics once but dropped it because I could not grasp the concept of the same object being in two places at the same time.  I believe it because someone who understands the concept said so.

The same with the Big Bang Theory.  I think theory is the operative word here.  It's plausible when someone explains it to me even though I have no concept of it would work.

Just because I don't understand a concept and don't see how it could possibly work I can't dismiss it when there are people who do understand it.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

2 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

Now, if only folks would use reason before standing on the edge of a cliff and taking a selfie before falling off.

My brother and I were on a trip to Canyonlands National Park in Utah.  There are many cliffs there overlooking the Colorado River a couple of thousand feet below.

My brother wouldn't get within 6 feet of the edge.  But he took a picture of me standing right on the edge.

I've never been afraid of heights.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

He he, yes.

I'm pretty sure the big bang is real. Things don't just happen is the first advice I ever got while very young. I was scolded by you know who because the mess on the living room floor 'did not just  happen'. Something was responsible for that mess being there!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, birdguy said:

My brother and I were on a trip to Canyonlands National Park in Utah.  There are many cliffs there overlooking the Colorado River a couple of thousand feet below.

My brother wouldn't get within 6 feet of the edge.  But he took a picture of me standing right on the edge.

I've never been afraid of heights.

As a kid, I would visit the top of the World Trade Center with its ginormous floor-to-ceiling windows.

You would always see people standing well away from those windows, unwilling to get closer, usually with some mischievous friend or family member trying to cajole them forwards.

I always pressed my nose against the glass, and tried to look straight down, the slight queasiness of doing so drowned under the excitement of the view.

On the other hand, I always felt quite disturbed at being on the edge of a cliff. No glass to compensate for my foolishness if I lost my balance!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5