Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Carenado PC12 is out

Why are people spending thousands of $$$$ on their PCs but are content to settle for subpar addons?

It's like spending a fortune on a grill  and slapping a piece of meat that fell off of the back of a truck on it?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ricardo41 said:

Why are people spending thousands of $$$$ on their PCs but are content to settle for subpar addons?

It's like spending a fortune on a grill  and slapping a piece of meat that fell off of the back of a truck on it?

Simply because WE CAN.😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I really think that this Carenado PC12 flies really really well it behaves exactly how you expect a PC12 to behave, and it is great fun. At first I was also thinking that the performance on takeoff was too low, but now, no I really think they are spot on, it is the anemometer that read lower than it should.
Honestly once the battery and avionics bugs are fixed, I’ll have no problem recommending it to everyone. No it doesn’t have circuit breaker modeled, no the ground handling is not perfect maybe idle thrust is too high and beta..well.. anyway for the price that is a great addon to buy and learn, waiting for SWS to realease their hopfully great PC12

• Like 5

@cyril972

Some years ago I had the unforgettable opportunity to VFR handfly a PC-12/47 (not NG, same as Carenado) from the Copilot seat, flying from LSZC Buochs (Pilatus HQ and plant) direction Milan and then for lunch to LSZL Locarno. We were 8 passengers.

Take-offs, approaches and landings were carried-out by a Pilatus test pilot.

I remember quite clearly the extreme accelaration at take-off and the short runs on the runways.

At Locarno the take-off run definitely was much shorter than I can achieve with the Carenado PC12, even with an empty plane at flaps 30!

Carenado defintely has to improve the flight modell and has to increase the engine power!

Ernst

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, ErnstB said:

@cyril972

Some years ago I had the unforgettable opportunity to VFR handfly a PC-12/47 (not NG, same as Carenado) from the Copilot seat, flying from LSZC Buochs (Pilatus HQ and plant) direction Milan and then for lunch to LSZL Locarno. We were 8 passengers.

I remember quite clearly the extreme accelaration at take-off and the short runs on the runways.

At Locarno the take-off run definitely was much shorter than I can achieve with the Carenado PC12, even with an empty plane at flaps 30!

Carenado defintely has to improve the flight modell and has to increase the engine power!

Ernst

I agree...  I'm not sure how someone can say the takeoff distance is normal....  the real one can nearly takeoff in half the time it's taking me.  (Max gross, ISA sea level for my tests)

• Like 3

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

1 hour ago, ErnstB said:

but was he also one of those "several" as in:

"Tested by several pilots for maximum accuracy." 😀

https://www.carenado.com/sitecarenado/product/pc12-msfs/

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On 9/16/2022 at 5:13 AM, Doering said:

Enjoy your world tour! Here is a 6 minute video on flight level change.

Thank You! Class Act videos. I also found the time to enjoy your other video's. Very well done.

I will echo the other comments regarding reasonx for purchase and learning the PC-12. It's history, utility and challenge all combined. BTW... does anyone know if the SWS aircraft under development is this current "45" (I believe) or the newer glass office models. Thanks.

Edited by Radial9
  • Like 1

The thing is, Carenado PC anemometer read lower than the real airspeed, we are talking 15 to 20kt, I dont know if the offset is always the same though.
wtv, If you rotate slowly 15knot before the 80kt indicated, It will climbe, it might give you a stoll warning because the aircraft think he is slower than he really is, Carenado absolutely need to fix that. 

But, I’m caribbean and I’m flying out of St Barth TFFJ, two airlines operate the PC12 in St barth Tradewind for the PC-12 47 and St Barth Executive for the PC12NG and NGX. From what I can see, I’m able to achieve about the same takeoff distance as real PC12 taking of from that airfield (fully loaded PC12, no wind)

(I also need to say that I have a scenery that I created for TFFJ that match the real slope of that runway, defaut TFFJ is not good)

anyway, to summarize for me it’s not really a take off performance issue but an airspeed reading one, that lower reading lead you to follow a wrong rotation speed, and wrong VY/VX

Edited by cyril972
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, cyril972 said:

The thing is, Carenado PC anemometer read lower than the real airspeed, we are talking 15 to 20kt, I dont know if the offset is always the same though.

Based on my testing, it is showing at .93 of the actual value.. ie 7% low.

• Like 2

Bert

2 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Based on my testing, it is showing at .93 of the actual value.. ie 7% low.

Maybe, I didn’t conducted any real testing, I just remember last time I was in cruise 12000ft  22.8 psi on the torque, POH says airspeed should be 178IAS, it was 155 but msfs was saying it was actually 172, that’s 11% off, this ishow I notice the wrong reading. But I haven’t conducted anymore testing

@Radial9 Thanks very much! Working on a descent, approach and landing video. This one is going to be very special 😉. The aircraft price to features ratio is really outstanding for what I have put this model through. I would like to see a tad more power and acceleration on takeoff and it would be great to have a dedicated Beta position on the PCL for taxing before pulling the lever to full reverse (as on the real PC-12). Pleasantly surprised by the accuracy of the AOA indicator on the EADI during approach. I have been using the PMS50 unit for navigation and approaches and it is in total harmony with my ForeFlight App.

According to another user on this forum, SWS intends to first release a model with the legacy flight deck like the Carenado model, then to be followed by a model with the NG/NGX flight deck with the Honeywell Primus glass panel.

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level   Oppenheimer's Trinity - A Flight to Ground Zero in the T-6A Texan | Cold Start | Remastered Photos

2 hours ago, cyril972 said:

But I haven’t conducted anymore testing

I displayed the MSFS IAS variable and compared it to the ASI needle in the PC12..

Bert

9 hours ago, ryanbatc said:

I agree...  I'm not sure how someone can say the takeoff distance is normal....  the real one can nearly takeoff in half the time it's taking me.  (Max gross, ISA sea level for my tests)

I successfully took off out of Cat Cay with the PC-12, a 335 meter runway.

I lifted off at about the 325m mark with only 15 degrees of flap. Was it nerve wrecking and risky? Yes, but the plane actually pulled outta there on full power.

This was using the Simultech Cat Cay scenery though, but who knows if the some of these 3rd party addon sceneries are even accurate runway measurement wise. 

I'm not gonna bother even comparing real world performance at this point, I'm over it.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 9/19/2022 at 1:19 PM, cyril972 said:

I really think that this Carenado PC12 flies really really well it behaves exactly how you expect a PC12 to behave

I take it you have experience with/in the real thing?

• Like 1

https://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/en/customer-support/publications#pc-12/flightmanuals

https://www.pilatus-aircraft.com/data/tech_pub/61e9743048bb2075443804.pdf

Max Ramp    10,495 lb
Max Take-Off Weight    10,450 lb
Max Landing Weight    9,921 lb
Max Zero Fuel    9,039 lb
Usable Fuel (402 U.S. gal)    2,704 lb

The PC-12 NGX can use runways as short as 2,485 feet (758 metres) at its maximum weight and operate from dirt, gravel, and grass surfaces.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 3

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.