Sign in to follow this  
Pastaiolo

XP12: the good, the bad, the ugly

16 hours ago, Sethos said:

Honestly, stop that tired old "Paid shills" and "It's the <competitor product users>" that are somehow responsible for any negativity and criticism. It just comes off as super insecure. 

Insecure? 😅 Super insecure?? 😂🤣 Au contraire mon ami! Not insecure but only Dinsdale ... sorry ... typo ... something that sounds similar.

Watch my YT-channel: https://www.youtube.com/@flyingcarpet1340/

Customer of X-Plane, Aerofly, Flightgear, MSFS.

I read all the time that LR doesn't build what the customers want. WRONG! It builds exactly what the customers want - namely THEIR customers. Sometime ago I read somewhere - and I repeat it happiliy, as it describes perfectly the situation: it's like yelling at Porsche that they don't build what customers want. And customers want ... Volkswagen Golf, Toyota Corolla, ... True - customers ... lots of custommers want Golfs and Corollas. If Porsche built Golfs or Corollas, they were much more successful and would make much more money - isn't that what EVERYONE wants? NO! Porsche customers want e.g. Porsche 911 Turbo and are happily buying that, although it is more expensive then Golfs and Corollas. If it was even for the same price as Golfs and Corollas they would buy it even more happily.

So, in XP12 put a plane (e.g. the 737) on the runway, set its wetness to icy (max), set a strong x-wind (recommended with a windsock in view) and observe what happens. Have a close look also onto the wheels.
If you have more time, set the runway wetness to standing water (max), set the temperature to below 0° C, the evolution over time to "rapidly detoriating", a strong x-wind and wait. Even if you don't have the time, record a timelapse video with the builtin video method. Or the other way round, set the wetness to icy, the temperature slighly below 0°C, the evolution over time to "rapidly improving" and wait. Or again ... timelapse video. During that time you can even leave X-Plane alone and read the newspaper, the bible, drink a beer, coffe, tea, ... and after 30 mins or so watch the video.
That's what I call weather and simulation.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, mjrhealth said:

I would far rather have 30FPS than round corners on my roads.

That's why there are normally graphic settings to lower. Soon we will have the next-gen GPUs and CPUs. Should we stay with old graphics forever because some people have old hardware?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flying_carpet said:

Porsche customers want e.g. Porsche 911 Turbo

How wrong you are. Porsche is a successful business because they did exactly what you are saying they didn't do.... They listened to the masses and built the Macan (one of the best selling high performanceSUV's), the Cayenne, The Panamera, the Taycan etc etc etc. Porsche isn't just about 911... And I am an expert in this field because it is my job to be so, Plus I own 2 Porsche and I know exactly how Porsche work. Go in a forecourt, you'll see 5 macans or Cayennes for every one 911, or maybe even 15 for every one 911 Turbo! 

If Porsche built Golfs or Corollas, they were much more successful and would make much more money

Not true. The markup on a golf or a Corolla is tiny compared to the markup on a Macan or Cayenne. You have to sell a LOT more Corolla to make the same profit that is in one Macan.  If it wasn't for the Cayenne, the 911 wouldn't exist anymore. Neither would Porsche (and no, it wasn't just the Boxster that saved Porsche). The 911 is niche. Macan's are not. Macan's are for the masses. 

Porsche make 12 billion USD more than Ford, yet I see loads of Ford driving around. Probably see thirty Fords before I see one Porsche...

It builds exactly what the customers want - namely THEIR customers.

Clearly LR does not, I am one of their customers, and did they listen to me? No. They did not offer what I wanted. I am sure many more are in the same position. Sometimes the LR owner, Austin, is TONE DEAF.

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 8

good: what a stable sim, for an early access product LR did a great job on not giving us any CTDs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKflyer said:

Bad: how come the sun is a round blob in the sky??!

xplanesun.jpg

Its a beta. Some complaining its too big. You sure it wasnt the moon.

Edited by mjrhealth

For me, the good:

- In 2D and with my XP11 Orbx True Earth UK files pretty easily moved across, pretty good.  Nice dynamics, good lighting and scenery effect.

The not so good: 

- Quite a bit of aliasing shimmer to control...but actually probably no more than I get with 'the other one'

The bad:

- VR for me is, at the moment, unbelievably bad.  Pretty much unusable even at low settings (it's a Reverb G2, with O/C 3080Ti and 5800X which gets me 40 fps elsewhere).  I have a few other things I'll try but at the moment I can't get anywhere near XP11 results

But I'm pleased it's here and look forward to the developments  🙂

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

12 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Its a beta. Some complaining its too big. You sure it wasnt the moon.

not the moon lol, only thing in the sky that's round and seems to be emitting light 😃

3 hours ago, UKflyer said:

Bad: how come the sun is a round blob in the sky??!

xplanesun.jpg

Haven’t seen that. Do you see it all the time?  Please submit bug report.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mjrhealth said:

Its a beta.

We know, you’ve said, several times. More the reason to point these things out, so they can be fixed. 

• Like 4

You love MSFS? Good for you. XP works better for me. LOL (not my words - copied & pasted from another thread and adapted accordsingly).

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Not true. The markup on a golf or a Corolla is tiny compared to the markup on a Macan or Cayenne. You have to sell a LOT more Corolla to make the same profit that is in one Macan.  If it wasn't for the Cayenne, the 911 wouldn't exist anymore. Neither would Porsche (and no, it wasn't just the Boxster that saved Porsche). The 911 is niche. Macan's are not. Macan's are for the masses. 

Porsche make 12 billion USD more than Ford, yet I see loads of Ford driving around. Probably see thirty Fords before I see one Porsche...

Define “success”. Only if you make money, it’s success (?). So, my local gourmet restaurant failed miserably, because they don’t make as much money as McDonald’s for the masses - right?
Hmm … the Macan is a MASS product? * 😮 I see every day 50 of them on the streets 😅. As many as Golfs and Corollas.
* my houscleaner also drives one. All the cashiers at my local supermarket as well …only the laziest one, not.

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Clearly LR does not, I am one of their customers, and did they listen to me? No. They did not offer what I wanted. I am sure many more are in the same position. Sometimes the LR owner, Austin, is TONE DEAF.

Clearly MS/Asobo does not, I am (still) one of their customers *, and did they listen to me? No. They did not offer what I wanted. I am sure many more are in the same position. Sometimes MS/Asobo, are TONE DEAF. (not my words - copied & pasted from this thread and adapted accordingly).

* I started with MSFS, but after some time, I got bored …

30 minutes ago, flying_carpet said:

You love MSFS? Good for you. XP works better for me. LOL (not my words - copied & pasted from another thread and adapted accordsingly).

Where did I say that? Quote me? You can't because I never said that.... 

Define “success”. Only if you make money, it’s success (?). So, my local gourmet restaurant failed miserably, because they don’t make as much money as McDonald’s for the masses - right?
Hmm … the Macan is a MASS product? * 😮 I see every day 50 of them on the streets 😅. As many as Golfs and Corollas.
* my houscleaner also drives one. All the cashiers at my local supermarket as well …only the laziest one, not.

In a capitalist society, money plays a pretty important role in success, otherwise Porsche wouldn't have had to start making Cayenne's would they? They could have continued on refining the 911 regardless if money didn't matter...

Even you said it was about the money:-

If Porsche built Golfs or Corollas, they were much more successful and would make much more money

And I know the Macan is a mass product, that was my EXACT POINT, Because Porsche listened to the masses and ADAPTED. So, I am not quite sure what your debate here is now? 

Clearly MS/Asobo does not, I am (still) one of their customers *, and did they listen to me? No. They did not offer what I wanted. I am sure many more are in the same position. Sometimes MS/Asobo, are TONE DEAF. (not my words - copied & pasted from this thread and adapted accordingly).

* I started with MSFS, but after some time, I got bored …

Good for you, but we are not talking about MS/Asobo are we? We are in the XP12 forum and we are talking about XP12. If you have that issue with MS/Asobo, go over the correct forum and post that. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith
  • Like 1