Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Passing of Queen Elizabeth II - God Bless The Queen

7 hours ago, ailchim said:

In the UK, top lawyers become Queen's Council - (QC's)

Same as in Canada, as is the change to King's Counsel (as it's spelt here)

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

48 minutes ago, n4gix said:

I'm not sure that currency will change all that soon. After all, the gov't just spent how much to replace 20's and 50's with the new 'polymer' bills?

Not immediately of course. A design needs to be agreed. Coinage could be quicker. Of course in this age of plastic far more purchases are made that way than by conventional means. I’m no lover of the polymer bills but they do last longer and probably harder to forge.

50 minutes ago, n4gix said:

visited GB only once when I was around 11 years old. I was astonished that paper bills were all different sizes. I remember my dad having to fold some of the bills so they would fit in his wallet.

The old white five pound note was unusually large but most people weren’t sufficiently well off to see one that often! I remember the ten shilling note. 50p today. As @dmwalkersuggests the different size of note was to help the blind.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

23 minutes ago, JRMurray said:

Sorry for the pedantry, but years of post-secondary Latin studies tend to have an influence ... "R" stood for "Regina" for Queen Elizabeth II, but it will stand for "Rex" for Charles III.

Thanks. I don’t profess to be an expert on matters of Royalty so appreciate the clarification.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

I think that was so that blind people could differentiate between the different denominations.

I read that explanation earlier today. That makes a certain degree of sense. Of course, that's no longer possible with the advent of ATM and self-checkout at grocers, et cetera.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

What a wonderful lady she was.  My admiration for her is boundless.  She stayed free of political bias and she was loved by everyone.  It was indeed a sad day hearing of her passing.  She led a wonderful life, but now she is having a bowl of corn flakes for breakfast with her husband.  I read where she never had anything else but cornflakes for breakfast.  Tomorrow I will do the same and think of her.  Rest in peace, Queen Elizabeth.

Stan

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, n4gix said:

the advent of ATM and self-checkout at grocers, et cetera.

All still optional, though, at least where I am. I have never used an ATM but I often use the self-checkout. I think our new banknotes have braille embossed.

Edited by dmwalker

Dugald Walker

2 hours ago, n4gix said:

I'm not sure that currency will change all that soon.

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Not immediately of course. A design needs to be agreed. Coinage could be quicker.

It will be a very gradual changeover. Prior to decimalisation at the beginning of the 1970s, it would have been common to have coins bearing the head of more than one monarch. It will be the case this time too, and most likely that ER coins will simply be taken out of circulation when they are in the hands of banks (I imagine in batches rather than en masse).

Secondly, in the UK, it will only be English bank notes which will eventually need to have Charles' image in them as neither Scottish or Northern Irish notes bear the monarch's image.

It is tradition that each new monarch's face points in the opposite direction to his or her predecessor, so Charles will face to the left.

Finally, post boxes won't be changed - it will only be new postboxes (and there are very few of those installed nowadays) which will have CR on them. In fact, over 30% of existing postboxes are pre Elizabeth II, bearing the cipher ('crest') of George V (around 15%), George VI, Victoria, and Edward VII. There are 171 known examples of boxes bearing the cipher of Edward VIII from his short reign. Scottish postboxes bear the Scottish crown, not the monarch's cipher, and so would be unaffected.

No new stamps bearing the Queen's image will be released.

Essentially, this will be a "rebranding" exercise for the UK and will certainly cost the country millions of pounds to complete. Even companies who have a Royal Warrant (e.g. companies who sell products "By appointment to Queen Elizabeth II") lose that warrant on a monarch's death and would have to reapply.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

14 hours ago, n4gix said:

I'm not sure that currency will change all that soon. After all, the gov't just spent how much to replace 20's and 50's with the new 'polymer' bills?

I visited GB only once when I was around 11 years old. I was astonished that paper bills were all different sizes. I remember my dad having to fold some of the bills so they would fit in his wallet.

The advent of ATM's would not have been possible had the currency not been rationalized to be standard sizes.

Different sizes were originally for the ease of use for the visually impaired.

Just noticed another difference in our "common" language. We don't say 'bills', they are 'notes', bills are what you pay at the end of the month!

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Obviously the national anthem will now be changed to "god save the king". That will be weird. 

Her passing is not a surprise, rather the emptiness that is felt for us older folks who our whole lives of many decades she has always there and now is not. Kind of bigger than life. Working as she did right up to two days before she left us. Incredible! I am an American, but I still can say as a world observer: "God save the king!"

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

5 hours ago, martin-w said:

Obviously the national anthem will now be changed to "god save the king". That will be weird. 

Even weirder, every time I hear y'alls national anthem, I immediately start off singing "My country tis of thee. Sweet land of liberty..."  🤗

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

27 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Even weirder, every time I hear y'alls national anthem, I immediately start off singing "My country tis of thee. Sweet land of liberty..." 

That's what comes into my mind too when I hear it played in England.  We stole the melody from them.

Our National Anthem tune was also stolen from an English hunting song.

And when I hear them played it takes me a minute to differentiate The Gary Owen from the British Grenadiers.  They're different but much alike.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

33 minutes ago, birdguy said:

We stole the melody from them.

Copyright! 😲 Pay up! Pay up!

We want 50 F22's, another 100 F35's, several Trident submarines, and a million of your dollars please. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

Just a million Martin?  Usually when the US gives money away to other countries it's billions.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.