Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Worth it to upgrade to a RTX 4090 for MSFS?

7 hours ago, turbomax said:

"mid 50’s" - what's wrong with that? anybody happy there with same settings on a 3090?

Nothing wrong with that, I run mainly Ultra settings with couple turned down one notch and I can maintain 50 fps with a 3090 at Heathrow. Does it look any difference from everything on Ultra? No because I did extensive testing to dial in my PC. 
I am not knocking anyone that brought a 4090, I wish them all the best. I am simply saying there was so much hype around it and the miracles allegedly it could produce and with like for like settings it clearly shows that there is not a huge difference from its predecessor.

Maybe a next gen CPU and 4090 is what’s needed.

Edited by RJC68
  • Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | Sony X90K 55 Inch TV |

mmBbmS1.png

My 2080TI works just fine for me in 1440x3440, if I'm going to upgrade it will be a faster CPU.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

To determine if it's worth upgrading to a new GPU, you have to answer the following questions for yourself:

• Are you happy with the quality and FPS that your current GPU gives you at your screen resolution?  Do you mostly fly in scenarios that are GPU limited or CPU limited (the latter is the case if you run complex airplanes and/or a lot of AI traffic). If you are CPU limited, what is your GPU load most of the time?  Is it close to 100% or significantly below?  If it's below, then a new GPU will not increase your FPS; however, you can increase the graphics settings without penalty.
  • Is your goal to fly at unlimited FPS and strive for the highest possible numbers, or do you limit your FPS to a number that gives you a comfortable fluidity?  If the latter is the case, again, what is your general GPU load?  If you see 100%, then your GPU can't keep up with your demands, and a better GPU will reduce that load at the current settings. Note that reducing the target FPS also reduces the load on your GPU.
  • Is your goal of upgrading to a new GPU more frames, better graphics quality or both?  Is the cost of the GPU worth the improvement in performance?

One more thing that's worth knowing:  Some people run at unlimited FPS with the argument "Well, I paid a lot of money for my GPU, and I want to see it running at 100% to utilize its full potential". You get high FPS, but they fluctuate and are potentially not in sync with your monitor refresh screen, which leads to slight stuttering. Other users, me included, limit the FPS to 30 (as an example), while running a screen refresh rate of 60, which gives you "smoothness". In this case, you may see your GPU mostly "underutilized" if the scenario is not very graphics intensive. You may feel that you didn't get your money's worth, but the purpose here is to have a comfortable overhead for scenarios that are very GPU intensive while still maintaining your desired target FPS. Before buying a new GPU, you need to know how much overhead you currently have.

57 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

you have to answer the following questions for yourself:

you forgot this one:

"do I love to always play with the latest and greatest just for the sake of it"? why?

yesss: because we can 😊

I am saying this without any sarcasm. some around here (Master Captain Piett, Ivaldo, a few more and myself) belong to this group of "whatever it takes" 😊. some simpilots are addicted to tweaking/experimenting/following/discussing anything performance related. can't help it. just like the Experimental category within AOPA.

what would we do if we all had 144 fps with everything on Ultra, FSLTL, Fenix/PMDG @ EGLL, KBOS @ 4K without any DLSS/FSR? all we could do is fly. how boring.

I am convinced I will get one once they reach MSRP and after I have upgraded to the new 5-7 nanometer CPUs slated for Q1 2023.

Edited by turbomax
  • Like 2

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

7 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Therein lies your issue. You overpaid for a 3090. I will recoup two thirds of what I paid for mine 2 years ago. Not a bad deal At all. And I certainly won’t overpay for a 4090 either. If you make sure you pay RRP, in 2 years time you’ll only loose roughly one third of its value. 

$2500 canadian dollars. $2200 before tax. Its an Asus TUF-RTX3090-O24G. One of the less expensive cards. But you're right, I did overpay for it. Everybody did. Nvidia are ripping us off wholesale. Have been for years now. It's $1699 now but out of stoke now. You'd have to be a sucker to pay me $1470 for it when you could get a new one for $1699. Or probably a new 4080 for not much more. I certainly wouldn't pay 2/3 for used PC hardware. More like 1/2

Edited by FBW737

21 minutes ago, FBW737 said:

Everybody did.

I didn’t. Paid the RRP in the U.K. on day of release. 

23 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I didn’t. Paid the RRP in the U.K. on day of release. 

You're special.

26 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Not really. Just not stupid. 

When the RRP for a 4080 is 1500 bucks, there is no way left to not be stupid IMHO. Except not to buy of course.

Edited by rka

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

The RRP here in the US for a 4080 16Gb is $1199, not $1500.  rka -- where are you located?

• Like 1

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

4 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Not really. Just not stupid. 

Even if you did only pay the RRP on release which I find dubious since everyone else the UK at the time was complaining about their being no stock anywhere and having to pay scalpers double the already way over the top RRP. If I recall there was even a couple of expose pieces claiming suppliers where selling all the cards at the time directly to ebay scalpers etc.

9 hours ago, FBW737 said:

Even if you did only pay the RRP on release which I find dubious since everyone else the UK at the time was complaining about their being no stock anywhere and having to pay scalpers double the already way over the top RRP. If I recall there was even a couple of expose pieces claiming suppliers where selling all the cards at the time directly to ebay scalpers etc.

I paid scan rrp the moment it was released. I got two cards and sold one to a fellow here on the avsim forums at rrp rather than sending it back to scan. So, no, nothing dubious about it at all. 

19 hours ago, pgde said:

The RRP here in the US for a 4080 16Gb is $1199, not $1500.  rka -- where are you located?

In Europe the 4080 16GB FE is 1469. That's including tax though, roughly 20% throughout EU.

Edited by rka

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

1 hour ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Man I have to say it looks super smooth 

yes but ....

what about all that latency they promised we would see, I totally missed that part. 😊

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.